What's new

AC87U and torrents

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alex-ks

Occasional Visitor
Hello.
I have a AC87U router.
I connected a usb 3.0 hdd to it.
Then I turn on SMB in router settings.
Then logged in to smb on my mac and started download torrents to that hdd.
At the beginning of download speed increased to 3 MB/s but after about 30 sec download speed dropped to 10 kb/s and 3 minutes later smb disconnected at all.
In router settings a saw that cpu load of one core was 100%.
Do you know what i need to configure to make it working?

Did you install a swap file (preferable on a USB stick) as transmission eats up all the small memory your router has? :oops:

With a swap file and some tweaking (see my posting here) you get a fast and stable torrent machine with your small router - as I do! ;)

Did you install a swap file (preferable on a USB stick) as transmission eats up all the small memory your router has? :oops:

With a swap file and some tweaking (see my posting here) you get a fast and stable torrent machine with your small router - as I do! ;)

No, I have no swap file at the moment. Are you talking about running transmission on the router itself? Or are you running transmission on your computer and select router's drive to save downloaded files?

Question: why don't you attach the hdd to your laptop?
What's the need that makes you attach the hdd to your router but access it from your laptop?

Because I'm using hdd with my tv and other devices in network. So it's more convenient for me to download movies using torrent on my laptop and then watch movies on tv without need to plug/uplug something. Hdd is just attached to the router and no need to move it from one device to other etc.

Last edited:
No, I have no swap file at the moment.
You are running out of memory without a swap file on your tiny router... :eek:
Are you talking about running transmission on the router itself?
Yes, see my footer... :rolleyes:

My router has to drives attached:
1 TB Hard Disk attached on USB 3.0 for data: ~500 GB of torrent files are permanently shared with ~5 Mbit.
4 GB Thumb Drive on USB 2.0 for Entware-NG, router backup and Swap File!

Last edited:
Is it difficult to install transmission on ac87u? Does it have a web interface like Download Manager?

Is it difficult to install transmission on ac87u? Does it have a web interface like Download Manager?
Use Entware-NG and install Transmission easily and you get the typical nice Web-Interface:
transmissionwebinterface.png

Do not forget the pre-requisits: USB drive(s) and Swap File! :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!