What's new

Ac87u temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sg1

New Around Here
Hi Running Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.47_beta1

the CPU temperature seems quite high

http://192.168.1.1/Tools_Sysinfo.asp

2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: 57°C - CPU: 76°C

Router is doing almost nothing. 5-10% load.

Also 5GHZ is disabled why temperature is still high?

Something wrong with the hardware?

Mine has always been like this:
Code:
2.4 GHz    48 °C
5 GHz      [COLOR="Orange"]69 [/COLOR]°C
CPU        [COLOR="Red"]80 [/COLOR]°C

The CPU never went below 79° C even though I have the most basic setup. App Analysis, Smart QoS and the fancy stuff are off.

It seems quite high with nothing happening.

Also if you disable the 5GHZ radio, why doesn't show 0 as temperature? it looks like that even though it is disabled still high.

With 5GHZ option DISABLED you should see temperature status DISABLED like it happens on other models, i think that could be something related with bugged FW. I will test it and report if the same happens.

Last edited:
With 5GHZ option is DISABLED you should see temperature status DISABLED like it happens on other models, i think that could be something related with bugged FW. I will test it and report if the same happens.

When you disable the 5 GHz radio, the RT-AC87U Quantenna CPU still runs. What you are seeing is the temperature of the whole chip, not just the 5 GHz radio specifically.

IMO that's non sensical, why CPU is working and consuming if it's not doing nothing when 5GHZ is DISABLED?

ASUS should disable ARC CPU completly to save power consumption when 5GHZ band is DISABLED, since it's dedicated and only controls the 5GHZ band.

Last edited:
IMO that's non sensical, why CPU is working and consuming if it's not doing nothing when 5GHZ is DISABLED?

ASUS should disable ARC CPU completly to save power consumption when 5GHZ band is DISABLED, since it's dedicated and only controls the 5GHZ band.

Then how would you be able to re-enable 5 GHz if the CPU that handles it is stopped and not answering to configuration requests, without having to reboot the entire router?

Asus' design does make sense there.

No, it's normal to be even in the 80s.

Hi,
I'd worry when it stays at 90 degs. or above. If worried so much there are things can be done, improving venting, redoing thermal paste on heat sink for the chips, etc. I often do this things when dealing with excess heat. Also I
use IR thermometer to track hot spot on a board.

Last edited:
Then how would you be able to re-enable 5 GHz if the CPU that handles it is stopped and not answering to configuration requests, without having to reboot the entire router?

Asus' design does make sense there.

Simple, they could implemente some hibernation/suspend state on it.

But like i said to you before it seems its not as bad as i thought in the first place, AC87U consumes between 11-16W, rarely reaches ~20W, thats great :)