What's new

AC88U 386.1_2 (latest) causes lags and freezes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aaron Macsik

New Around Here
Hi there!

I've got a problem with the latest AsusMerlin firmware.

After I flashed it, I did not (yet) make a factory reset.

I have great lag spikes in games around every 5-10 minutes, and when watching a movie over LAN, it usually (like 80% of the time) the playback freezes and hangs every 40minutes for about 10-15 secs. No, it's not my PC.

My question is, should I expect this hanging/freezing/lagging problem to go away if I factory reset, and then reapply manually all my settings?

If you think it won't really help, I guess the best way to just downgrade to the latest firmware I had no problems with.

Thanks for your help,
Have a good one

The firmware is not the issue as it has proven to work excellently for many. The configuration, network environment, and/or interaction from the old firmware/variables is the issue here (as usual).

Without knowing what your network consists of and what specific loads make it fail, it is hard to say if a full reset will help or not without doing other steps too. Definitely not recommended to manually (or via a saved backup config file) re-apply, 'all', settings either though. The new firmware is an opportunity to not 'blindly' use or put in old options, features, or scripts that worked 'once upon a time' in older firmware.

I would suggest the WPS Button reset method applicable as shown in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Then, get the router/network stable by following the suggestions in the link below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021