What's new

Access asuswrt-merlin behind another router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tuomas

New Around Here
Hey

I've been running AsusWRT-merlin on my RT-AC56U. At the current setup, it's directly connected to internet and I can access it with SSH at it's DDNS address. However, soon I have to put it to another location, where it will be behind another router and won't have external IP.

Is there any way I could access the box in the new location? Would setting up Openvpn server help?

If you put the ac56u behind another router just forward a port in the wan side router (main router with wan ip) to the WEBGUI port (usually 80) if you plug the ac56u to a LAN port or to the wan access port if you plug the ac56u using the wan port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer! Assumed that I need to do that for other services also, like OpenVPN and SSH? What about DDNS, will the router get it's "asuscomm.com" dns name also?

If you put the ac56u behind another router just forward a port in the wan side router (main router with wan ip) to the WEBGUI port (usually 80) if you plug the ac56u to a LAN port or to the wan access port if you plug the ac56u using the wan port

The ddns will work just fine, if you need to reach an OpenVPN behind the main router then you have to do port forwarding on the main router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk