What's new

Access Point and ethernet ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Good evening

I have set up an AC87U as Access Point, connected by cable (WAN port) to the main router. I configured it using the default AP setup mode offered by the GUI.
The wireless (distinct SSIDs from main) is working fine, and so is one wired client. Now, as I tried to plug in a second client, I experienced connectivity issues: client intermittently losing connection.
Browsing through this fine forum, I read that @ColinTaylor and others have reported that, although in theory the LAN ports of an AP are disabled, in practice they are operational. I can certainly confirm I have one working port.
I appreciate my connectivity issue could be down to many other factors, but would like to ask the following:
If one hoped to keep using the LAN ports of their AP, would it be fine to just use the default AP config, or should they configure the AP as a 'wireless router' and manually adjust its settings? If the latter, what in addition to disabling DHCP should be looked at?

Many thanks, and keep safe.

No, I had not.
Thank you for the link (by Mr Higgins himself, back in '08, now we're talking!) :)
I will also do the exercise you suggest - and refresh my combinatorics-: 4 ports, 2 clients. Hmmm... That was way before Tim's post...
Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!