What's new

Access Points and Ethernet Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vandriver

Occasional Visitor
Sorry for the daft question but I cant find the answer and just needing a straight answer?

Ethernet Backhaul Mode/AC86U/ Merlin 386.12.4

Does ethernet backhaul mode function/work on access point's or is it only to be used in AiMesh setups?

thanks in advance

Ethernet backhaul is the only possible connection in AP mode as wifi isn't used to communicate between AP and router/switch.

Ethernet backhaul is essential in AP mode as wifi isn't used to communicate between AP and router/switch.
okay, thank you. just want to double check I have understood you correctly?
All my access points are connected to the main router via ethernet, but currently the ethernet backhaul setting on the router and all the access points is disabled because its a setting under AiMesh and I dont have an AiMesh set up, does that make sense? Are you telling me I should enable the ethernet backhaul setting all devices as its essential?

thanks in advance

AiMesh and AP mode are different.

Don't mix options with one mode when using the other.

No need to activate that setting as you're not running aimesh.

AiMesh and AP mode are different.

Don't mix options with one mode when using the other.
Sorry just saw your post. Thanks for confirming.

I must have a couple of hundred bookmarks with yours and others advice on how to set up ac86u's, merlin, optimal settings etc but im still struggling to keep these tuya bulbs and switches online after something as simple as a router reboot lol absolute nightmare.....
im not giving up there must be a way!

Do you have this one too? :)

but im still struggling to keep these tuya bulbs and switches online after something as simple as a router reboot lol absolute nightmare.....
im not giving up there must be a way!
Have you tried disabling 802.11ax/wifi6 on the 2.4 Ghz band. Did this for mine and my esp based devices stay connected for >24 hours at a time now.

Last edited:
Do you have this one too? :)

Yeah had that one in my bookmarks, thanks. :)

Haven't looked at it for a while though. First problem, all my system times and DTS were wrong. Rookie error lol. I mean I did notice the time error in the logs after every restart but was focusing so much on trying to get these bulbs running without errors that I ignored the time error. Anyway, system time and DTS are now accurate.

I'll go through the other 9 points later when I finish work.

The RT-AC86U isn't an AX class router. It won't have those settings.

Could anyone help with this one please?

Last December I managed to get a stable network where no devices would go offline, all my access points were online for 2 months following, and I only needed to reboot the main router from time to time for admin stuff. I am 100% sure I still have this stable network because I haven't changed anything, but this morning I woke up and its crashed overnight.

I am still troubleshooting but the obvious things that are not right are:

Some of my guest networks are not broadcasting, they are enabled and not hidden, but my phone and wifi scanners arnt picking them up. The guest network in the dining room (main router), guest network in living room (access point) and guest network in bedroom (access point) don't seem to be broadcasting. I have two other access points and the guest networks are broadcasting on them. And the wifi devices are all down on the guest networks that don't seem to be broadcasting.

I have DHCP Server - Enhanced by YazDHCP, with approx. 170 Ip's reserved, each IP had its own client name but today most of the client names are gone and it says new device next to most of them.

The lease time of 7706000 on the DHCP server must have expired, because the devices currently listed in DHCP leases all have 89days left. But, there is only a handful of devices on that page, there used to be over 100.

Any ideas what I've done now lol

don't know if its a coincidence but after setting the lease time to 120 seconds, everything is back online after about 30 mins.

I managed to get a stable network

You never mentioned what model is your main router and what model is(are) your access point(s).

Your RT-AC86U (whatever it does on your network) is the most unreliable Asus router from NHD series.

You never mentioned what model is your main router and what model is(are) your access point(s).

Your RT-AC86U (whatever it does on your network) is the most unreliable Asus router from NHD series.
The main router and 5 access points are all AC86U.

With hindsight I would probably choose another router series. I was unaware of the reliability issues when I bought them. By that I mean the issues I have read on these forums over the years have definitely made me think to replace them with something else. But I've chose to stick with what I have and to be fair I am finding every single issue to date seems to be user error; configuration errors, expecting the routers to do more than it can, etc. They are definitely time consuming though.

I will need to read more about lease times now as all I have done in the past is got a base knowledge on them and then went with recommended settings for what would be appropriate for my own network environment. I went for 90 days lease time because 95% of my network is static, the other 5% can be static too I just need to set the rest up.

I think what has happened yesterday is the main router has released the leases and the rest of the network has went tits up for some reason unknown to me.

I've since temporarily changed the lease times from 90 days to 120 secs, left it like this for an hour which has brought everything back online, then I changed the lease time to a week permanently.

I doubt you have a settings issue. You have a lot of (6) strong radios in one place (probably too many); and AC86Us have a history of hardware failure, the 2.4 radio and a power circuit... both faults can cause strange behaviors that will not go away. Be prepared to isolate and remove suspect units from your network while troubleshooting or else you'll be chasing issues for some time.

A WiFi analyzer app can help see unstable radio signals bouncing in and out.

OE