What's new

Adding 2.5GbE to AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
While waiting for Asus to come out with an updated AX88U router supporting at least one 2.5Gb Ethernet port, I saw this article:

I was using Bonding/Link Aggregation between my AX88U and Qnap TS-453D. The TS-453D supports 2.5Gb Ethernet and/or Link Aggregation.

I decided to give it a go.

Picked up one of the RTL8156B USB 3 dongles (must be B version) from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088N74HBY/?tag=snbforums-20

Renjie makes it pretty easy. He does great in describing each step and, even better, has the required r8152 driver module already compiled for the AX88U's kernel. Also has some tools (iperf3 and ethtool) compiled. I installed the Entware versions (ethtool-full).

I did have some race issues with his init-start and services-start scripts. I created a hybrid and added it to services-start. Seems to work on reboot reliably (now).

Realtec.JPG

The performance increase has been dramatic. Here is the output from iperf3 and a "dd" test. One bonded, the other using the USB RTL8156B device:

NasResults.JPG

Roughly 2.5X faster. Well worth the $30 and hours work!

Is this different from the existing threads on this subject?

While waiting for Asus to come out with an updated AX88U router supporting at least one 2.5Gb Ethernet port, I saw this article:

I was using Bonding/Link Aggregation between my AX88U and Qnap TS-453D. The TS-453D supports 2.5Gb Ethernet and/or Link Aggregation.

I decided to give it a go.

Picked up one of the RTL8156B USB 3 dongles (must be B version) from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088N74HBY/?tag=snbforums-20

Renjie makes it pretty easy. He does great in describing each step and, even better, has the required r8152 driver module already compiled for the AX88U's kernel. Also has some tools (iperf3 and ethtool) compiled. I installed the Entware versions (ethtool-full).

I did have some race issues with his init-start and services-start scripts. I created a hybrid and added it to services-start. Seems to work on reboot reliably (now).

View attachment 36539

The performance increase has been dramatic. Here is the output from iperf3 and a "dd" test. One bonded, the other using the USB RTL8156B device:

View attachment 36541

Roughly 2.5X faster. Well worth the $30 and hours work!
Just FYI, bonding doesn't allow you to go over 1Gbps with a single client, so that's why you're not seeing any performance gains over using a single connection. You need multiple clients connected via a switch that also supports bonding to gain any extra performance.
Interesting that USB adapters can be used this way though.

Is this different from the existing threads on this subject?

No not really. I can merge it into one of the other threads. I must have seen Renjie's link in one of those and squirreled it away until I could get an adapter.

I must say though - anyone with an AX88U and NAS device that supports 2.5GbE should consider this upgrade. As @TheLostSwede pointed out, bonding doesn't do much good when going from router to NAS.

Now, the real question. When does Asus come out with a new class router with AX88U class (plus) features and 2.5GbE port(s).
I wait patiently...

Now, the real question. When does Asus come out with a new class router with AX88U class (plus) features and 2.5GbE port(s).
I wait patiently...
The first routers from Asus with two 2.5Gbps ports will be the ZenWiFi Pro ET12 and XT12.

Those are the ugliest routers I've seen so far. These may be the first two routers with 2x 2.5GbE ports that I'll be ignoring, indefinitely. :)

Reactions: Gar
Those are the ugliest routers I've seen so far. These may be the first two routers with 2x 2.5GbE ports that I'll be ignoring, indefinitely. :)
Where's the sub-woofer?

Now now, be nice to Asus, they're at least trying to do something different.
They just don't understand that a router should sit quiet in the corner, rather than making RGB noise in the whole house.

Or they can make it a statement piece and do it like this.

342248,xcitefun-ceramic-art-3.jpg

But the plexiglass, air-purifier look they have going on now shows no imagination at all.

Now now, be nice to Asus, they're at least trying to do something different.
They just don't understand that a router should sit quiet in the corner, rather than making RGB noise in the whole house.
They look strangely similar to my Roomba lighthouses.

They still look better than most spider designs though.

Agreed, those 8 legged beasts looks scary. I actually like the Monolith design - kind of 2001 A Space Odyssey thing.

Well, art isn't for everyone.

But this certainly isn't art, nor does the form follow the function either.

zenwifipro-1.jpg