What's new

adding extra security-how do i edit host file to block ins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

curlyimac

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I was reading an article about security and it mentions that you should change your ip address to a private range, which i figured out, and to edit the host file so that your computer never sends a request for my router's hardcoded hostname, but it doesn't say how to do it.
What entry do i put in the host file to do this?

Hi
I was reading an article about security and it mentions that you should change your ip address to a private range, which i figured out, and to edit the host file so that your computer never sends a request for my router's hardcoded hostname, but it doesn't say how to do it.
What entry do i put in the host file to do this?
None of that makes sense. Could you provide a link to the article so we might understand the context.

What router do you have?

The article is suggesting that you edit the hosts file on every single client device (not the router) and add a dummy entry with the router's hardcoded name. This is not an approach that I would personally take, but each to their own.

So for example if your router was an Asus it probably has a hardcoded name of "asusrouter". That means that on all your client devices you need to add an entry to the hosts file that says "127.0.0.1 asusrouter". Of course this may well break any utility software that was supplied by the router manufacturer.

Last edited:
Oh I guess that would help. I have the Asus AC68U.
I was planning on adding an external to the usb port of the router with some media files to share between the two macs in our house. I could just use file sharing built into mac but figured the drive attached to the router would work if macs are powered doff. then i began reading and got paranoid about all the security stuff.

What router do you have?

The article is suggesting that you edit the hosts file on every single client device (not the router) and add a dummy entry with the router's hardcoded name. This is not an approach that I would personally take, but each to their own.

So for example if your router was an Asus it probably has a hardcoded name of "asusrouter". That means that on all your client devices you need to add an entry to the hosts file that says "127.0.0.1 asusrouter". Of course this may well break any utility software that was supplied by the router manufacturer.
Probably too much work and not worth it. I'm just paranoid.
I was thinking of going the NAS route but heard about security vulnerabilities with those too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!