What's new

AdGuard Home for Netgear R7800 and R8900/R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamoj

Very Senior Member
Support for AdGuard Home is added in the latest beta version of the Kamoj add-on 5.3b1+
(The Kamoj add-on is available after request by PM to kamoj)

Voxel Firmware is also required.

This thread is a place to discuss Adguard Home, as it functions in the Kamoj add-on.
  • What are your favorite settings?
  • What features are the best and how to use them?
  • Etc.
Q: What is AdGuard Home
A: "AdGuard Home is a network-wide software for blocking ads & tracking.
After you set it up, it’ll cover ALL your home devices,
and you don’t need any client-side software for that.
With the rise of Internet-Of-Things and connected devices,
it becomes more and more important to be able to control your whole network."
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-home/overview.html

Kamoj add-on Release History regarding Adguard Home:
2020-05-18 v5.3b1 First release
Be sure to read the FAQ.txt before asking any questions.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.3b2
-------------------------------------------------
- AdGuard Home: New function added.
- AdGuard Home: Added default configuration
- AdGuard Home: Added adaption of firewall to AdGuard Home ports
- AdGuard Home: Added Erase configuration button
- AdGuard Home: Added AdGuard Home Setup shortcut in adv_index.htm
- Updated FAQ.txt

Last edited:
Tried to install but it wont work for me... hit the install button, selected the adguard home option in the DNS Encryption section, it reloads the menu with an Adguard Home menu but when i click it, it opens me a blank page with 192.168.1.1:8080 and says no internet.

Whats the uninstall instructions?

the button is redirecting to <router>:8080, while AdGuard is running on <router>:3000

So @Tom Brough try http://192.168.1.1:3000

And
cosmetic remark:
there as a square behind AdGuard Home in the menu sidebar

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 01.23.12.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 01.23.12.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 288
Sorry, im tired now. The config file is not in the release. My installer packager failed.
new try later!
The square is a link symbol, maybe not working on Apple?

Reactions: KW.
But isn't there a default config you are copying?
Because now we must walk through the wizard to setup.

I looked at your code, so to get it working as you though of, I did:

Admin Webinterface = 8080, only on br0 ??? (we don't want it to be accessible from wan)
DNS server =5300, also only on br0 ??? (not sure if tun0 vpn-clients can then still access)

Username and password -> I set something myself (FAQ mentioned x;x, but clearly that config didn't come over)

@kamoj just when I lean back. Everything works perfectly. I'm happy and satisfied and you're dropping this bomb. It's great you make me need more. I'm too tired to play with this now... But will tomorrow.

Kamoj soon I will run around with my router under my arm and show it to everyone as a proud child.

You are doing a great job.

I have now installed it and is playing around works very good.

So far i've tested filter lists.
For me one of the most important things will be some control over all the childrens devices around the home. I see that its allot of opportunity here with safe search and so on. Love it.

What I've not come to grip with is the DNS.

1. Do you want parallel requests or fastest ip adress checked?

2. The DNS i have now is cloudflare and adguard dns.

screenshot-adguarddns.png

But when I do a DNS leak Im now all over the world (see screenshot).
dnsleaktest.png

EDIT: After some more DNS leak tests the cloudflare showed up in the right location. No offense to the British people but if possible I would like to stay away from that country on my DNS:s because of their membership in the so called five eyes.

Before with Kamojs add blocker I was closer to home and could identify the DNS. I want to be back close to home:)

3: What DNS server do you use and how many?

Last edited:
Once again thanks for another excellent addition to your addon @Kamoj.Like KW Im up and running and also have the same issue with dns leaking all over the place.
Ive turned it off while I sort it.I found after disabling it in the adguard control panel it was still running and had to click off the install button ...then it was disabled.
Regards

Question is, is it bad to "leak DNS"?

If you use a VPN provider that you trust, and thus also want all DNS requests to be handled by that VPN provider, then indeed leaking DNS requests to all different providers around the world is bad.
In that case, just specify the those DNS servers as upstream, instead of the current https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query
(as mentioned as example 1 on the dns settings page)

Same if you trust your ISP, then you might want to use their DNS servers as upstream servers.
In this case, you can just specify 192.168.1.1 as upstream -> it will then use the router's dnsmasq, which is still getting your ISP DNS servers via DHCP (in most cases).
Added bonus: It will probably then also resolve local dns-queries. (not sure if this otherwise works with AdGuard.)

But if you don't want any one party to see everything you do, then it might make sense to use as many different DNS servers, so that nobody has a full profile of you.

I use the vpns (pia) dns servers and get no leaks. So getting leaks is a backward step to me. I will try to solve it, Im sure theres a soloution.Maybe theres someone using adguard or dnscrypt or stubby with a vpn that can confirm they have no leaks

I dont believe my DNS really leaks in the way that it is something wrong, and a security problem. What I think its the DNS:s I have been chosen just use the above places . What I did mean with "DNS leak tests" was that it was my way to see where my DNS:s ends up.

As of now I have no reason to believe its more of a problem then that to change DNSs: Thanks R.Gerrits for your information and you have a good point.

Tried DNSleak test with only one DNS that I know and it is no DNS leak. Im sorry if I was not specific enough in my first post so that was misunderstood.

dnsleaktest.png

@kamoj I belive it this homepage you mean with resolvers: https://dnscrypt.info/public-servers/

EDIT: wow after some playing around Im in the the right countries and I have recorded record speeds. My router is maxed out need to buy faster internet speed to top it.

This #¤"#%" great

Last edited:
I dont believe my DNS really leaks in the way that it is something wrong, and a security problem. What I think its the DNS:s I have been chosen just use the above places . What I did mean with "DNS leak tests" was that it was my way to see where my DNS:s ends up.

As of now I have no reason to believe its more of a problem then that to change DNSs: Thanks R.Gerrits for your information and you have a good point.

I think its what your happy with.My understanding of a dns not leaking is that you will only get one server address returned .... the country server of the vpn your connected to.
Theres no point of having a paid vpn if the tunnels leaking.
Regards

I had reason now to try to block everything fun on a device. I really believe that its more for my pleasure that i can then that is necessary cause I raise the kids so good:) (just kidding) But it is some truth in it that I have some moral dilemmas to use blocks like this, but that is for another post maybe on other forum about philosophy... So to get to my point. Its some services on ad guard home that you can block, like youtube and so on (see screenshot). But if I want to block like roblox is it possible to add that in some way. Cant find a way to add it. Please don't use your whole day to try to help, but if you know some easy setting that i missed let me know.

adgaurd.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!