What's new

ADSL wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brandon207

Occasional Visitor
So just a random question. Wasn't quite sure where to post this. But first question is. 1, if I'm able to get a 15 download and a 1 upload DSL connection will lowering those speeds improve my overall connection quality? And 2, I have all four of my colored wires connected to my phone jack where my DSL connection is, but I have dry loop DSL would removing all wires besides those needed for the dsl connection improve my internet? I play Xbox live and my friend has literally the same ISP but has better luck connection wiae online than I do but I just have double his download speed. Just trying to optimize my DSL connection, of there's anything more anyone can think of let me know :)

ADSL usually has an adaptive error correction enabled, so lowering your speed should make no difference. You should be able to see what your maximum attainable speed is through your modem's DSL stats page. As long as your connected speed is a few percent below your max attainable speed, all is good, especially if the DSL error rates are low.

Before randomly changing wires & settings, try to figure out exactly where you are having problems and fix those things. See what your ADSL stats are, see if you are experiencing IP packet loss, see if you are experiencing random IP latency spikes, see if you are over-saturating your download/upload. You will need to Google how to trouble-shoot these things and hopefully that will lead you to other things that you should monitor for potential problems.

You need to find out what the problem is before trying to fix it, otherwise you will likely make things worse.

ADSL usually has an adaptive error correction enabled, so lowering your speed should make no difference. You should be able to see what your maximum attainable speed is through your modem's DSL stats page. As long as your connected speed is a few percent below your max attainable speed, all is good, especially if the DSL error rates are low.

Before randomly changing wires & settings, try to figure out exactly where you are having problems and fix those things. See what your ADSL stats are, see if you are experiencing IP packet loss, see if you are experiencing random IP latency spikes, see if you are over-saturating your download/upload. You will need to Google how to trouble-shoot these things and hopefully that will lead you to other things that you should monitor for potential problems.

You need to find out what the problem is before trying to fix it, otherwise you will likely make things worse.
When you say IP spikes you mean what? And how do you go about testing this. Also if I set my download and upload speed in my QOS and my upload goes higher than 1 upload then does that break my QOS from working right? If so is there ways to make sure that I never hit above that 1 Meg to ensure it works correctly? My downlink buffer bloat is evidently almost always fine, it's the uplink that I get issues with

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!