What's new

Advertise router DNS to VPN clients as 2nd DNS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JipHop

New Around Here
Hi all, I've got a TUN OpenVPN Server running fine on my RT-AC86U with Merlin 384.13.
But I have a problem when specifying the DNS servers my VPN clients should use.

For example: router IP is 192.168.1.1, primary DNS server is 192.168.1.2.
I want my VPN clients to use the primary DNS server (which isn't the router) by default, but fall back to the router.

For example, I put this in custom configuration:

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.2"
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.1"

However, now the router won't respond to DNS queries.

When I check "Advertise DNS to clients", then the router will reply to DNS queries, but the result is that it will also add another push entry to the OpenVPN server conf. The result is:

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.2"

So now my router will be used as primary DNS, but I need to use it as a fall back DNS server when the primary one is offline.

Since release 384.5 (13-May-2018), the option to respond to dns queries has been removed. But I think that option, to only respond to DNS queries without also adding the push entry to the server conf, would solve my problem...

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can solve this? Changing the client config isn't an option.