What's new

Advice on better Wifi range coverage for my house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R1PA9EO/?tag=smallncom-21

Try one of these first, I have 2 on my 68U that I am using as an AIMesh node in my garage and the range on them is very impressive. It will make one of your antenna’s a directional one though so you’ll need to tweak the other 2 to compensate for other devices, but for me it was a cheap option and works well.

I can now receive a useable 5GHz signal on my iPhone up at my house from the garage (35 meter distance) which was unheard of before, 2.4 is even stronger so strong that the 86U in the house can see and connect to it when checked in the wifi log. Distance between the 68U in the garage and the 86U in the house is 43 meters and that is with multiple walls in the way, don’t get me wrong at that distance the wifi is unusable as a link between the 86U & 68U but the fact it can see and connect is very impressive.

It’s a cheap option and saves complexity by adding a 2nd wifi device to your network (some devices wont roam very well with an extender) and most CCTV camera’s are only a single stream wifi so you’d only need one of those antenna’s.

Just bought two Alfa APA-M25s and plan to try them when they arrive. Will post the results later. Hopefully I can get better signal coverage in some specific areas.

Just bought two Alfa APA-M25s and plan to try them when they arrive. Will post the results later. Hopefully I can get better signal coverage in some specific areas.
Fingers crossed they do the job, for me they work extremely well.

Have they arrived yet? If so how are they working for you?

They just arrived this afternoon. I replaced them with two of my AC86U factory antennas (position A and position C)
First of all, I did notice some gain improvement and below are before and after data analysis (I also noticed the 5G channel jumped from 149 to 157 after reboot):

iMac (3x3ac) in my office went from -70dBm to -65dBm (however the speed is still around 527Mbps)
MBP (3x3ac) in my office went from -77dBm to -68dBm (this is one of the biggest changes among all devices)
A few remote cameras (1x1n) saw improvement of 1~2dB but still in the 78~82 range. I may try to put them on the 2.4G band to try it out.
The nest thermostat (1x1n) which is in straight direction of the new antenna (behind two dry walls, across a dinner room) should be the best proxy - it saw a gain of 10dB from -71dBm to -61dBm. I am still scratching my head why my iMac, which is just another 3 meters (10ft) away from the thermostat in direction (no other obstacles in between), doesn’t get as much gain as I was expecting….

At a quick glance of all the devices on the 5G band, I can tell now I have more devices in the 60s to low 70s range than before. Definitely a good investment (I bought them on eBay for less than $40 including tax).

Thank you for your advice! This is a great forum and each time I posted questions here I also learned a lot!

This will also save my itch to buy a Wifi6 router for a while :cool:. One of my friends recently bought a NG RAX120 kept telling me how great the coverage the RAX120 offers, guess I can now put that thought to bed and patiently wait for another year or so. LOL

They just arrived this afternoon. I replaced them with two of my AC86U factory antennas (position A and position C)
First of all, I did notice some gain improvement and below are before and after data analysis (I also noticed the 5G channel jumped from 149 to 157 after reboot):

iMac (3x3ac) in my office went from -70dBm to -65dBm (however the speed is still around 527Mbps)
MBP (3x3ac) in my office went from -77dBm to -68dBm (this is one of the biggest changes among all devices)
A few remote cameras (1x1n) saw improvement of 1~2dB but still in the 78~82 range. I may try to put them on the 2.4G band to try it out.
The nest thermostat (1x1n) which is in straight direction of the new antenna (behind two dry walls, across a dinner room) should be the best proxy - it saw a gain of 10dB from -71dBm to -61dBm. I am still scratching my head why my iMac, which is just another 3 meters (10ft) away from the thermostat in direction (no other obstacles in between), doesn’t get as much gain as I was expecting….

At a quick glance of all the devices on the 5G band, I can tell now I have more devices in the 60s to low 70s range than before. Definitely a good investment (I bought them on eBay for less than $40 including tax).

Thank you for your advice! This is a great forum and each time I posted questions here I also learned a lot!
Definitely seems like they are working, hopefully even though the signal isn’t a huge amount stronger on the cameras it is enough for them to stay connected just that little bit better. It looks like they should stay connected a bit better and should solve your original issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!