What's new

After Router restart internet not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wolge

New Around Here
For about three months and 3-4 Asuswrt-Merlin versions I have a Problem. I switch off router and modem overnight via a timer. This worked until 3 months without Problems. Since that time, both devices start but the Internet connection does not work anymore. I have to restart the Asus router again (during ongoing modem) thus the Internet works. It appears that the router starts faster and the modem is not ready. The router will then appear in a "no Internet" loop to hang instead of recognizing that the modem is also started and reconect. Is there a Firmware fix?

No firmware fix for the issue you are causing.

But why do you turn off the modem and router at all, nightly?

I turn the device off to save power, prevent wireless radiation and to increase security. The devices actually run only in the evening from 18:00 - 24:00

For about three months and 3-4 Asuswrt-Merlin versions I have a Problem. I switch off router and modem overnight via a timer. This worked until 3 months without Problems. Since that time, both devices start but the Internet connection does not work anymore. I have to restart the Asus router again (during ongoing modem) thus the Internet works. It appears that the router starts faster and the modem is not ready. The router will then appear in a "no Internet" loop to hang instead of recognizing that the modem is also started and reconect. Is there a Firmware fix?

In wan-start I still have the following clause even though I was converted to fibre years ago!

Code:
# Cosmetic....ensure that noise of wan-start event has subsided, so my stuff appears together...
sleep 60

# Check that ADSL modem has actually synched with router.
#  (Can fail after power failure?)
  if [ "$1" = "0" ]; then
     ping -W 5 -c 1 8.8.8.8  >/dev/null 2>&1
     if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
         logger -st "($(basename $0))" $$  "PING Google DNS OK."
     else
        logger -st "($(basename $0))" $$  "Unable to PING Google DNS; Restarting....."
        service restart_wan
     fi
  fi

...although here is a more comprehensive script that can be called from wan-start

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wan-ip-renew-issue.26995/#post-204269

Last edited:
I turn the device off to save power, prevent wireless radiation and to increase security. The devices actually run only in the evening from 18:00 - 24:00

Personally, I do not see the point. But to each his/her own. :)

To fix this simply; add another timer so that the modem starts 5 minutes (or 10 minutes) before the main router starts it's boot up routine. If it is just a boot up timing issue, it should address your main concerns.

My recommendation would be to use the router's built-in wireless scheduler, which allows you to disable wifi between specific hours.

It will be simpler, and it will also put less stress on your hardware than doing daily power cycling.

Part of the problem lies in the fact that some modems will first boot with a DHCP server configured, and that server gets disabled only a few seconds later as the WAN side comes up. That leaves a small window during which your router might end up with a private IP (often in the 10.x.x.x or the 192.168.100.x subnet) instead of your real WAN IP.

Many thanks to all of you! I will test your tips as soon as possible :)

At the switch not only the router and the modem is connected. Also, the TV and the sound system attached to it. In Switzerland, we are placing greater emphasis on energy Efficiency. Unfortunately, we are one of the countries with the largest per capita consumption...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!