What's new

AiMesh along with switch & AT&T router - ethernet backhaul not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EvilTechie

New Around Here
Hi guys, long time lurker but finally I could not fix something myself and need the help of the collective wisdom here

The Setup:
I have AT&T fiber (100/100) which is using an AT&T Arris router from the ONT (it is a must as it handshakes with AT&T)

and I have 2x RT-AC86U, with one as AP Mesh router, the other being a mesh node
as well as 1x RT-68U as mesh node

the AT&T router is connected to a switch in my garage, which all of the room's ethernet ports are connected to

attached is a diagram of my setup

The problem:
I have connected the mesh node to the switch and it isnt getting an ethernet backhaul even when choosing ethernet as the priority on the mesh node's setting

due to connection 3 going to the switch, which the the AT&T router is also going through, is that causing a conflict as the node is thinking it should be getting the mesh backhaul from AT&T router instead?

this is hard to work on, as ONT is outside of my garage in a comm panel on the exterior of the house.
all of the house's ethernet cables run there too.
I managed to route them into the garage on the other side of the comm panel
put up a wall rack there, mounted my 24-port switch, and put a UPS on top as well as a patch panel
ive located the AT&T router there

The alternative is to place the AT&T router right next to the mesh router but the ONT signal will have to go into the 24-port switch
is that the way to go?

thank you in advance

Attachments

• home network setup.png
    home network setup.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 3,114
just want to also say that the previous setup works (with wireless AiMesh, not backhaul) where I had the AT&T router right next to the AP Mesh router
so I am ruling out the AT&T router issue

internet also works
the only thing is ethernet backhaul doesnt work in this configuration, would like to know how to get it working

just want to also say that the previous setup works (with wireless AiMesh, not backhaul) where I had the AT&T router right next to the AP Mesh router
so I am ruling out the AT&T router issue

internet also works
the only thing is ethernet backhaul doesnt work in this configuration, would like to know how to get it working

I would have tried:

AT&T ONT >> AT&T router LAN >> WAN AiMesh AP router LAN >>prefer no switch here (or use all wireless backhauls) >> WAN AiMesh AP node(s)

OE

Last edited:
I would have tried:

AT&T ONT >> AT&T router LAN >> WAN AiMesh AP router LAN >>prefer no switch here (or use all wireless backhauls) >> WAN AiMesh AP node(s)

OE

Thanks
But there is only one rj45 cable going from all the rooms to the rack

And I'd rather not put mesh router in garage due to the aluminum firewall around the garagehe blocking wifi signal

Thanks
But there is only one rj45 cable going from all the rooms to the rack

And I'd rather not put mesh router in garage due to the aluminum firewall around the garagehe blocking wifi signal

I suspect the mesh nodes need to be connected downstream from the mesh router... not switched in with its WAN link. As it is now, the nodes are like clients to the AT&T router.

And incidentally, the WiFi link on your diagram should be drawn to the mesh router, not the switch (likely left there from when you previously had the mesh router working correctly in the garage).

Have you evaluated the 86U WiFi range when located in the garage? Maybe it could serve from there.

Otherwise, can you wire direct from the AT&T router to your 86U AP router located at your media center, and then use wireless to your nodes.

OR, wire direct from your AT&T router to your 86U router located near a second wall jack. Then patch the 86U router LAN to that second wall jack to feed back to the garage switch. Then wire your nodes to the switch.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks OE!
ideally, all my problems would be resolved if there was an outlet with 2 wires going to the garage
that would solve all of my issues
and my house now is a 2-floor, making it much harder to run the wires...
really miss my single floor house that i had with a big attic

I have no problem to mesh my 86U and 68U both connected only via WAN port to my modem-router when I tested it (but cant use it as there wont be guest-Wifi on node).
So that allone cant be an issue.
Maybe your switch makes some sort of problem.
Try to connect and mesh the 2 nodes directly to parent LAN and setup Aimesh, then put them on there place and see if they can reconnect via switch.

I have no problem to mesh my 86U and 68U both connected only via WAN port to my modem-router when I tested it (but cant use it as there wont be guest-Wifi on node).
So that allone cant be an issue.
Maybe your switch makes some sort of problem.
Try to connect and mesh the 2 nodes directly to parent LAN and setup Aimesh, then put them on there place and see if they can reconnect via switch.

With current firmware? And were you sure they were using wired, not wireless backhaul?

OE

Sure wired, 1st step is to check it and set ethernet only, not auto-mode backhaul!
Know it for sure, because I thought it must be on a LAN port on parent and forgot to change cable connection, but has been working with both cablings.
Before and now I use both Asus as AP connected via a switch to modem-router, and I did not change this setup for meshing the 2 Asus.
Not tried with last firmware, has been maybe 2-3 months ago.

Last edited:
Sure wired, 1st step is to check it and set ethernet only, not auto-mode bachaul!
Know it for sure, because I thought it must be on a LAN port on parent and forgot to change cable connection, but has been working with both cablings.
Before and now I use both Asus as AP connected via a switch to modem-router, and I did not change this setup for meshing the 2 Asus.
Not tried with last firmware, has been maybe 2-3 months ago.

Are you only using the Asus as AP and not mesh?

I tested Aimesh (over WAN) in AP-mode.
Just the same as you wrote in your first post.

But now back to AP only, cant use Aimesh as Guest-SSID is not provided on node where I need it.
Also not good as now guests can access whole Intranet.
Still working on or waiting for better solution.

I have the exact same issue, same setup, AT&T fiber gateway in garage, AT&T router into switch in garage and two ASUS routers ready for AiMesh using ethernet backhaul.
I am pleasantly surprised to find this thread. :)
I thought of using the cat5 splitter to make one line act as two, but reviews werent that great (or some confusion with not working at the same time, not sure what they were saying). Also, it said max 100mbps.

Anyone here used the splitter to make cat5 cable splitter work for this purpose?
Now, I wish I should've asked the AT&T guy to put the fiber gateway inside home instead of garage.

There is no problem to split a 1Gb/s ethernet cable in 2x 100Mb/s.
1G needs all 8 wires while 100M only 4 of them so the other 4 can be used as extra one, it has been done often in the past this way in professional infrastructure for 10 and 100Mb/s.
Well done there is no difference in running 2 cables.
But sure you will only have 100Mb/s on both. If its enough in your case than all ok with it but with fiber you probably want more than that.
Another option to go from ONT with full 1G cable directly to router inside and have node connected over WiFi-backhaul only if signal is strong enough over there.

Of course if they can change location of ONT next time they come will be much better.

Last edited: