What's new

AiMesh in AP only mode Wireless SSD drops Internet AC5300 AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not a requirement. The main router may be something else, AiMesh may be in AP mode as shown above. Why you associate routing with AiMesh? It's just wired APs and wireless Repeaters with a fancy marketing name. Not much real mesh in AiMesh anyway.
That's why I'm talking about it's not Real Aimesh system.

Asus router as a main router

This Asus router can be in AP Mode with routing done by something else. It's still an Asus router with "nodes" in AiMesh. No difference. You still have the AiMesh screen showing your nodes and attached clients as usual.

This Asus router can be in AP Mode with routing done by something else. It's still an Asus router with "nodes" in AiMesh. No difference. You still have the AiMesh screen showing your nodes and attached clients as usual.
I don't think so. Because ASUS says this.

[AiMesh] Can I build an AiMesh system with another brand of router with an ASUS router?
Last Update : 2022/05/24 19:32
No, other brands of routers and ASUS routers can't build AiMesh systems together.

I don't think so.

Because you are confused between terms. Asus calls a "router" the All-in-One device, but this device can be in AP Mode with no routing. This is nothing new and exists since AiMesh was introduced in 384 firmware. The screenshot below (taken from Asus' official AiMesh in AP Mode FAQ) shows such configuration in 384 firmware. There is nothing to think - note the main Asus "router" in AP Mode. It works, it's tested and some folks are using it.

1691973140142.png

You are looking at the wrong FAQ. The correct one is here:

I see no point continuing this conversation. As I mentioned above I had a test setup with pfSense router with 3x Asus "routers" in AiMesh in AP Mode and it was more than a year ago on 386 firmware.

I don't think so. Because ASUS says this.

[AiMesh] Can I build an AiMesh system with another brand of router with an ASUS router?
Last Update : 2022/05/24 19:32
No, other brands of routers and ASUS routers can't build AiMesh systems together.

I mean everyone else is trying to explain this but I guess I'll try too.

You are correct that you cannot build an AiMesh with another brand of ROUTER. The OP is not doing that.

They are using their own PFSENSE router, standalone. Then SEPARATELY they have two asus devices running in AIMESH AP MODE.

A fully supported version of Aimesh, and it is not "fake".

A mesh system is first and foremost a wifi AP system only. The fact that the "main" node CAN act as a router is above and beyond that. It is not REQUIRED to.

Even if you consider all 3 devices to be "ROUTERS" they are still not attempting to join their PFSENSE to the AIMESH. Only two of the devices are being put into AIMESH and they are both ASUS.

Hello. Sorry I have not responded. For some reason I did not receive notification. Thank you for the lively conversation. I have two ASUS routers in aimesh/ap mode. When I restart the routers, everything appears to work great! More clients on the main GT-AC5300 as that is on the main floor, and a few clients upstairs on the RT-AC68U. Benchmarking each channel is fantastic. I've never had better wifi. However, within a day problems arrise. Devices report being connected to WiFi, but have no access to the Internet. Simple things like Google Mini's can't respond to "What's the weather", etc. Reboot the router (Now just an AP) or even open and "apply" the wifi settings with no changes and they work!

The way I read the FAQ from Asus, they support two or more routers only in AP mode in Aimesh. I just turned down the value in Roaming assistant, hoping that is the culprit. Sorry to kick off a debate, just looking for ideas on how to keep this stable. It starts awesome, but something is happening that makes it become unstable. Thanks for any tips.

The way I read the FAQ from Asus, they support two or more routers only in AP mode in Aimesh. I just turned down the value in Roaming assistant, hoping that is the culprit. Sorry to kick off a debate, just looking for ideas on how to keep this stable. It starts awesome, but something is happening that makes it become unstable. Thanks for any tips.
You don't have to use AiMesh. You can configure each one as a normal standalone access point and administer them individually using their own GUI's. You could even configure them to use different channels from each other, which AiMesh doesn't allow IIRC.

I don't know why you're experiencing connectivity problems. Look in the AP's System Log for clues.

Hello. Sorry I have not responded. For some reason I did not receive notification. Thank you for the lively conversation. I have two ASUS routers in aimesh/ap mode. When I restart the routers, everything appears to work great! More clients on the main GT-AC5300 as that is on the main floor, and a few clients upstairs on the RT-AC68U. Benchmarking each channel is fantastic. I've never had better wifi. However, within a day problems arrise. Devices report being connected to WiFi, but have no access to the Internet. Simple things like Google Mini's can't respond to "What's the weather", etc. Reboot the router (Now just an AP) or even open and "apply" the wifi settings with no changes and they work!

Do the devices having problems roam to the 68U? What did you have roaming assistant set at?

Possible the 5300 is having sporadic signal problems causing clients to roam, and they won't roam back until the 68u signal bounces

Which router are you rebooting/hitting apply in, the 5300?

You don't have to use AiMesh. You can configure each one as a normal standalone access point and administer them individually using their own GUI's. You could even configure them to use different channels from each other, which AiMesh doesn't allow IIRC.

I don't know why you're experiencing connectivity problems. Look in the AP's System Log for clues.
I am rebooting the 5300. If I go to the IP of the 68U, it bounces me to the 5300 anyway, as that is the "master" router in aimesh. Not sure of the terminology. I was drawn to using aimesh as all devices could use the same SSID. I have kids. They each have old iPhones, tablets, Laptops that move around the house. It was easier, I thought, to just have two ssid's. One 2ghz and One 5ghz. Then have devices just pick the best AP. If I cannot get this to work, i will set them up as individual APs. With their own SSIDs, like "upstairs wifi" and "main floor wifi". I really hope I can make aimesh work. It is a cool idea.

You can still use the same SSIDs even when they're running as standalone APs (and I suggest you do).

I am rebooting the 5300. If I go to the IP of the 68U, it bounces me to the 5300 anyway, as that is the "master" router in aimesh. Not sure of the terminology. I was drawn to using aimesh as all devices could use the same SSID. I have kids. They each have old iPhones, tablets, Laptops that move around the house. It was easier, I thought, to just have two ssid's. One 2ghz and One 5ghz. Then have devices just pick the best AP. If I cannot get this to work, i will set them up as individual APs. With their own SSIDs, like "upstairs wifi" and "main floor wifi". I really hope I can make aimesh work. It is a cool idea.

It could be nothing to do with devices roaming, the 5300 may simply be locking up. Is it running latest firmware, when was the last time you factory reset, etc?

You can still use the same SSIDs even when they're running as standalone APs (and I suggest you do).
Interesting. OK. I can try that. I've had poor luck over the years running wifi "extenders", etc. I had thought about purchasing a controller and some real APs. Similar to a corporate environment. Then I noticed the aimesh system. It seemed to be similar. Almost a poor man's managed system. It looks right. The management screen is nice. But at the end of the day, if the clients drop off, that will not work.

It could be nothing to do with devices roaming, the 5300 may simply be locking up. Is it running latest firmware, when was the last time you factory reset, etc?
Oh. I have not done a factory reset in some time. It indicates it is running the "latest" firmware. Here is a simple screen shot.

1692064637980.png

Oh. I have not done a factory reset in some time. It indicates it is running the "latest" firmware. Here is a simple screen shot.

View attachment 52357

Do the devices that stop working show that they have roamed or are they still on the 5300? I would hard factory reset both devices and set them up fresh from scratch. The 5300 may be on its way out, or may just need a clean wipe.

Interesting. OK. I can try that. I've had poor luck over the years running wifi "extenders", etc. I had thought about purchasing a controller and some real APs. Similar to a corporate environment. Then I noticed the aimesh system. It seemed to be similar. Almost a poor man's managed system. It looks right. The management screen is nice. But at the end of the day, if the clients drop off, that will not work.

If they are both hard wired, neither is an extender. Right now they are wired APs with a single management interface and less flexibility (but simpler management of roaming). If you ran them as standalone APs it would be the exact same thing just with decoupled management. More flexible, but a bit less convenient.

Either one should be ok, I think your issue may be the 5300 itself and not the mesh setup.

Do the devices that stop working show that they have roamed or are they still on the 5300? I would hard factory reset both devices and set them up fresh from scratch. The 5300 may be on its way out, or may just need a clean wipe.
I will dig more into the logs. Also, just for now, I have broken the aimesh system. It may be that the 5300 is toast. We've pushed it hard for a few years! My house averages 40 - 50 devices. Yes, I am one of those crazy people with wifi light bulbs etc. The challenge is it has been so good until turing it into an AP only instead of a router. Thanks for your help.

I will dig more into the logs. Also, just for now, I have broken the aimesh system. It may be that the 5300 is toast. We've pushed it hard for a few years! My house averages 40 - 50 devices. Yes, I am one of those crazy people with wifi light bulbs etc. The challenge is it has been so good until turing it into an AP only instead of a router. Thanks for your help.
Where is your pfsense router?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!