What's new

AiMesh mixing Wi-Fi types

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boatman

New Around Here
Hi, I’ve recently upgraded to an XD6 with wired backhaul to a cupboard upstairs for the node.

it replaced a Wi-Fi 5 RT-AC86U which is now spare.

i was thinking of putting it in the loft with a powerline to make it an extra wired node.
Would it slow the XD6 down or would devices that connect to it just connect at the slower speeds? There’s only really two iPhones and a laptop in the house that use Wi-Fi 6. Most of the devices connected is smart home stuff, which is on 2.4GHz.

Should I use it?

Hi, I’ve recently upgraded to an XD6 with wired backhaul to a cupboard upstairs for the node.

it replaced a Wi-Fi 5 RT-AC86U which is now spare.

i was thinking of putting it in the loft with a powerline to make it an extra wired node.
Would it slow the XD6 down or would devices that connect to it just connect at the slower speeds? There’s only really two iPhones and a laptop in the house that use Wi-Fi 6. Most of the devices connected is smart home stuff, which is on 2.4GHz.

Should I use it?
Sure. The AC86U would make a good node. Would be great if Asus had a more current firmware for it but it should be able to mirror the channels the XD6 uses. It would not get to 160 MHz, though. As for speed, does it really matter? It will give you the same bandwidth as using it as a router and will not slow down the XD6 at all. I've used an AC66U_B1 as a node and it worked well. Your AC86U is better.