What's new

AiMesh Node Keeps Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now, both the AC3100 and the AC5300 are showing up on the webUI as clients and it lists NO AiMesh nodes. Power off/on is the only way to correct this.

I turned off Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming on 2.4, but hadn't done that on the two 5 channels. So I changed it on 5-1, and the AiMesh master node stopped operating after applying settings. Had to reboot. I'll do the other 5-2 channel tonight when my family isn't using it. Hoping having this on ALL bands will help.

I turned off Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming on 2.4, but hadn't done that on the two 5 channels. So I changed it on 5-1, and the AiMesh master node stopped operating after applying settings. Had to reboot. I'll do the other 5-2 channel tonight when my family isn't using it. Hoping having this on ALL bands will help.

Mine were already off when my Aimesh nodes became clients.

Finally got a response from ASUS today on this issue:

After reviewing your email, I understand that you are having difficulties with AiMesh node setup.
uhhh...nope...setup was fine
I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue, but don't worry I will do my very best to assist you on this matter.

Based on the issue that you are having. I recommend the following troubleshooting steps on this FAQ below:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/
Ahhh, yes! A setup FAQ!

Finally got a response from ASUS today on this issue:

uhhh...nope...setup was fine

Ahhh, yes! A setup FAQ!

Maybe ASUS reviewed your feedback and concluded that starting over was the best course of action.

I had weird client/node behavior. In view of similar reports here, I decided to re-install, being careful to begin with clean routers... as clean as I could make them. I have not seen that weird behavior since. If you haven't tried it, it may be worth the effort.

Since it made a difference for me, I wrote it up here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

OE

Here's an update. I ended up doing an ethernet backhaul from the 2nd floor router node (AC5300) to the basement node (AC5300) using MoCA, and it joined as a node perfectly and operated great...for a while. Now it's showing up as a client of the router node again, and not listed as an AiMesh node.

I am guessing that the distance is too great to keep a stable connection...but still not sure how it ends up as a client.

Hi everyone,

I've tried the AIMesh now for more than 2 weeks and here's the problems that I see is wrong with the AIMesh software.
I bought the AC5300 as my head router and 5 AC68U for the entire setup. Setup was pretty simple and easy but every morning the network didn't have access to the internet. Then every time I tried to connect to the AC5300 router the connection was through one of the Nodes (the re-direct message appeared but nothing happens). Then I could reset alle the nodes until I found the right one who was gone offline. And then the internet and network worked again.
But this problem occure more than once per day and then I started to look into the logs and the nodes. Each time (before the network didn't work correctly one or more Nodes went offline. And it was both the WIFI connected and the wired who went offline.

Now after almost two weeks with constantly rebooting and resetting Nodes and router I went back to firmware without AIMesh on the AC68U and setup them as AP or repeaters and now the network is working fine again.
In my opinion the AIMesh software is not yet ready for release to a larger setup as mine. I did expect more of Asus AIMesh but it's not ready yet.
Supposedly you can only have up to 4 nodes so at first glance looks like you have to many nodes.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035085/

I just had this problem today.
Mesh Router: RT-AC86U
Node 1: RT-AC88U
Node 2: RT-AC68U

Will keep monitoring and update.

I just had this problem today.
Mesh Router: RT-AC86U
Node 1: RT-AC88U
Node 2: RT-AC68U

Will keep monitoring and update.

I don't think this particular setup will work.

I tried this and it looks like the 86U supports DFS so it will use 5Ghz wireless channels the 88U and 68U can't use.
I'm using a 5300 and an 88U with the 86U and once I made my 88U the Mesh router things started working ok.