What's new

AiMesh not working anymore on 2 latest Merlin firmwares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wait until @RMerlin receives updated Asuswrt base

Some tips & tricks here, if you want to experiment with current Asuswrt-Merlin, @RangerZ:

I read your post #37 as superseding post #29 and had been wondering the same. The the change log indicates ALL versions of Merlin since 386.1 forward are based on GPL 386_41700, so I agree, nothing base code related should have changed.

Regarding you post #25, I assume that the 4 devices listed are nodes? What was the router? After reading (and rereading) all these posts, I think that any non-68u family (which i think includes the 66 b1) can run Merlin 386.2-6 or higher with any 68u running 386.2-4 or any ASUS stock. Not clear on your clone, but with over 40 years in MFG, I know that not all FW\SW is happy on all versions of the same HW.

As there is not a release at GPL 386_41700 for the AC68 family, if I test the last (lower) 3.0.0.4.386.41634 FW on the router and 386.2-4 and -6 on the node, will this be sufficient in your mind to take the GPL base code out of the discussion, assuming 4 works and 6 does not?

@Tech9 I will test that too. I have tried Ethernet before, but did not toggle the power and not this version (not that I think it matters which of the last 3). It may take a couple of days. I downgraded to a 384 to test another solution.

I assume that the 4 devices listed are nodes? What was the router?

Yes, nodes. I only have one original RT-AC68U and one RT-AC1900P, so I had to alternate the router in order to keep all on the same firmware. I have a few RT-AC86U routers, but I didn't want to mix routers on different firmware. RT-AC86U is an HND platform router running on different kernel/software.

will this be sufficient in your mind to take the GPL base code out of the discussion, assuming 4 works and 6 does not?

I don't know. It will take me days to test so many firmware versions on all AC68x variants + AC68x/other router. I play with electronics as a hobby and I see no enjoyment in this repetitive testing process with non-conclusive results. I don't use any of those routers, they are part of my repaired routers collection.

Hauled out my old RT-AC66U_B1 and flashed it with Merlin 386.3_2. Reset/initialize and tried to add as AiMesh node to my AX86U. Tried (twice) to add as a node via WIFI (within two meters). AC66U_B1 was discovered both times but did not add to mesh. Plugged Ethernet from router LAN to AC66U_B1 WAN. Discovered as Ethernet connected and successfully added as an AiMesh node. Powered down the node and moved it about 40 FT away and it connected via WIFI and is picking up some of my clients. A week ago I had it added as an AiMesh node when it was on Asus 386.43129.
Yes, there are limitations running an AC node off of an AX router. But it does work! I have also tested an AC86U as an AiMesh node successfully with both Asus and Merlin firmware.
I had loaned out the AC66U_B1 for a while and had two AC68U's as AiMesh nodes. As I remember I had to connect the AC68U's to the AC66U_B1 via Ethernet to get the mesh working. But it worked very well with one node wired and the other WIFI.

@bbunge This is encouraging news. I will try it. I do not think the AC86u is an issue, I think it's only AC68u family as a router or node. Have you tested this through a reboot ?

I have RT-AC68U's for both my main and Mesh and on the latest Merlin release. Works just fine for me.

@bbunge This is encouraging news. I will try it. I do not think the AC86u is an issue, I think it's only AC68u family as a router or node. Have you tested this through a reboot ?
Reboot? Yes. Had the AC66U_B1 as well as two AC68U's in a mesh for several months before the guy who replaced me replaced what he considered old routers.

I have followed @Ronald Schwerer suggestion and down graded my 2 AC1900P's to 384.81351 (he used 384.19). I then was able to create a mesh (V1.0). I upgraded the mesh node to 386.3 and tested various changes (LAN IP, radio channels) and a variety of restart scenarios. Each time the mesh persisted.

I then upgraded the router to the same 386.3 and ran similar tests. Again the AImesh (now 2.0) persists. I did have an issue after changing the LAN IP address; the node was missing from the AIMesh. I waited about 3-4 minutes and then pushed the "+Add AIMesh Node" button, at which time the node appeared, but disconnected. About 15 seconds later it was again connected. Not sure if pushing the button was related; and no dialog box opened. I intend to let this marinade for 2-3 days to see if it's trouble free before upgrading to 386.3_2.

When I downgraded to 384, I did the node first, performed a WPS reset, then only the minimal config to access the device and finally a GUI reset clearing all. Repeated the same on the router. I also took L&LDs suggestion from the nuclear protocol and used new unused credentials for all values. Hopefully not material as I wish to reset the old credentials.

So, dirty upgrades so far. Of course the burning question is if I reset all the devices will I then be able to Mesh??? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I have now upgraded the devices to 386.3_2. I upgraded the node first and followed the above testing process. I then did the same for the router. All seems well.

As above, there was a lag connecting to the AIMesh node when changing the IP address, but less than 2 minutes It was an additional short time until the connection was reestablished.

I plan next to "remove" the node and see if I can rediscover it, probably tonight or tomorrow sometime.

I removed the AIMesh node at its wireless location and then relocated it near the router. I was UNABLE to re-establish the AIMesh node. I did a WPS reset on the node and tried again with the same negative result.

I next connected the node to the router (LAN to WAN as suggest by @bbunge and was able to connect via Ethernet (there is an Ethernet indicator in the window for the nodes). Please know that you will need to wait for some short time until the Wireless Icon changes to an Ethernet Icon before proceeding.

What's interesting is that this is pretty much what I did a month ago when the issue first surfaced. At the time I had the devices connected as a router and AP. I do not recall the specifics, but tried to add the "AP" as a node over ethernet, but it failed with the message "Unable to add your AiMesh node". I then recalled that the ASUS directions indicate to do this over wireless.

I plan to again reset both devices and retry the Ethernet route.

Last edited:
I removed the AIMesh node at its wireless location and then relocated it near the router. I was UNABLE to re-establish the AIMesh node. I did a WPS reset on the node and tried again with the same negative result.

I next connected the node to the router (LAN to WAN as suggest by @bbunge and was able to connect via Ethernet (there is an Ethernet indicator in the window for the nodes).

What's interesting is that this is pretty much what I did a month ago when the issue first surfaced. At the time I had the devices connected as a router and AP. I do not recall the specifics, but tried to add the "AP" as a node over ethernet, but it failed with the message "Unable to add your AiMesh node". I then recalled that the ASUS directions indicate to do this over wireless.

I plan to again reset both devices and retry the Ethernet route.
Can you make the discovery using ethernet cable and then change it to wifi connection afterwards?

I also confirm this works, downgraded routers to 384_14, created aimed, upgraded main router to current then upgraded the nodes from the main router and the aimesh is working as it should. Seems like downgrading setup mesh then upgrade is the key.

@jaydoe Good question,

YES!

I disconnected the node and moved it to another room. Plugged it in and all was good. Under AIMesh => System Settings, the switch for Ethernet Backhaul is OFF.

@dropilikeitshot , yes, but this only works for Dirty upgrades. When I reset the node to factory, it no longer would connect. So, at some point this may break.

If resetting both devices and rebuilding the AIMesh with an Ethernet cable works then this is a better solution. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Just my experience personally, using 2 AC68U units as APs and an AC86U as the core wifi router, I had nothing but hassles with AI Mesh and 386.x code. I used both ASUS code and Merlin code on AI Mesh nodes and found myself constantly chasing issues which I couldn't resolve. Both nodes were Ethernet backhauled. I finally gave up trying to resolve it and fell back to using the AC68U nodes as APs (non-AI Mesh) running Merlin 386.X (Currently 386.3_2), I miss some of the mesh info sharing but troubleshooting was taking too much of my life. Rock solid on all three devices running Merlin 386.3_2. I'll let others work through the black box issues. Of note - AI Mesh guest networks was a primary reason why I wanted it to work and I miss them. But burning 100+ hours, sniffing traffic, etc. while the family is anxiously awaiting stability made it an easy decision.

I'm running AiMesh without any problem. Roaming just fine. Only thing its reset every 24 hour, seems that is intended. Config with wifi and WPS reset node before paring them with sucess.

This discovery supports my theory that something AiMesh is looking for is not there in newer Asuswrt-Merlin versions.
Would seem so...
AI Mesh guest networks was a primary reason why I wanted it to work
I was disapointed to learn the Guest Lan did not work properly in AP mode, it's in the GUI so..... I have a pending install where I need the guest to work on the AP. I am concerned about fragility even if this testing pans out. I had this working on 386.2-4 and may just deliver that.
Only thing its reset every 24 hour, seems that is intended. Config with wifi and WPS reset node before paring them with sucess.
Sorry, a bit cryptic for me, not following you

Just chiming in with another case of the same. AC68U router, AC66U_B1 node, worked fine through several dirty upgrades. Had to reset everything here because of an issue with my ISP (long story) and when I went to add the node into the mesh again, no dice. I'm glad the thread was here - saved me a lot of hair pulling - had to downgrade the router to 386.2_4 to get it to work again, at which point it went through on the first try. I don't want to do the dirty upgrade again knowing about this issue though, so I'm going to sit tight until I hear about a resolution.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!