What's new

Aimesh on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They stay shutoff, I just plugged in router and it is not broadcasting.
You also could have a different CFE version from what I have. I have 1.0.2.3 but there is also 1.0.1.9 and 1.0.2.8

Bingo! :)

Code:
Bootloader (CFE)

So, what is possible at this point? Are the CFE versions interchangeable?

If you haven't already I would try updating to last official firmware it might update the CFE also.

If you haven't already I would try updating to last official firmware it might update the CFE also.

I have tried that, thank you. No change in CFE. :(

Did you clear the nvram after? If not it could be reporting whatever CFE was there before flashing. Try using the reset button if the WPS button is not working or by using the CLI to reset it.
If you have already done that and it doesn't work then you need to find the CFE online, I searched and was able to find places to download it. The mac address's should be copied over to the CFE before flashing.

@Special Out of curiosity. Would it be possible to perform the same changes to the older RT-AC66U (not the _B1) in order to receive AiMesh on those devices?

@Special Out of curiosity. Would it be possible to perform the same changes to the older RT-AC66U (not the _B1) in order to receive AiMesh on those devices?
no, different unsupported hardware, 56U is almost same as 68U beside fewer antennas.

Last edited:
it would be nice if someone could just figure out how to compile the source with the build recipes for aimesh.

it would be nice if someone could just figure out how to compile the source with the build recipes for aimesh.

You can't. The closed source parts are precompiled without AiMesh enabled, so that won't work.

You can't. The closed source parts are precompiled without AiMesh enabled, so that won't work.
I figured that, if it was possible it would be alot better than attempting to brick a router by flashing a firmware to it that isn't made for it.

Hi, went through steps from post 8 and it seemed fine so far. I can se the node on my 86U (both upgraded to the latest available stock firmware) however when I try to add the node, it fails at the end on unable to add bla bla...

Any tips? I checked some of them of forum like connect 86U LAN to 56U WAN, change user/password, disconnect all LANs from 86U etc...

Last edited:
Are you using the latest firmware?
I never tried using version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 if you are using that one you might downgrade to version 3.0.0.4.384.45713 or Version 3.0.0.4.384.45708 on both routers and see if that works.

I tried to downgrade the 56U to 3.0.0.4.384.45708 + factory and NVRAM reset and the problem is still same.

I can see it in 86U UI as available mesh node but the pairing still fails. I don't want to really mess with 86U and still hoping some other way exists.

I tried to downgrade the 56U to 3.0.0.4.384.45708 + factory and NVRAM reset and the problem is still same.

I can see it in 86U UI as available mesh node but the pairing still fails. I don't want to really mess with 86U and still hoping some other way exists.

Have you tried it wired to see if it works?

UPDATE: I got it working. Today, I!ve noticed that 3.0.0.4.384_81049 was released for 86U. Now it works fine :)

EDIT: fine = I put it on same spot where old repeater was. My internet speed is 100Mb up/down; 1:1 aggregation. Measured speeds through the original repeapter where 93-95 down, 97-99 up. With 56U, it's 12-14 down, 40 - 45 up (all in Mbit/s).

Last edited:
Glad you got it working but I'm surprised you were getting such good speeds with the repeater and that the 56U is slower downloading than uploading.
I haven't played around with mine lately but might update it and see what speeds I get.

I updated the 56U to 81409 and I also installed the 1.0.2.0 cfe from the 68U and ran some tests.
I think my internet is supposed to be 500Mbs down and 100Mbs up

Wireless I get about 60-75 down and 60-90 up.
Wired I get about 140-160 down and 110-130 up.

I did not test it before I put 1.0.2.0 on it so I'm not sure if that had any effect.

Last edited:
So I installed a 68U in the same spot and here's what I got

Wireless 66-79 down and 68 up
Wired 40 down and 115-135 up

WTF Chuck!

Guys, I tried to install firmware rt-ac68u on my rt-ac56u and bricks my router. Now no matter what I do, I reset the configuration, reset the nvram, it's not work. Power led and wifi 5g led are glowing, and nothing works. I can't ping router, I not get ip address throw dhcp. With wireshark I see the lldp packets from router and arp packets (and router appears RT-AC68U). Any ideas how to revive the router?

After the conversion only the power and 5g lights are lit so that is normal.
Try this:
Set static IP for PC.
start > run > ncpa.cpl > double click Ethernet > properties > IPV4 >
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet: Default (255.255.255.0)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Hold reset button 10 seconds

Power off router (keep holding reset)
Wait 10 seconds, keep holding reset
Power on router holding reset for 10 more seconds
Then try connecting 192.168.1.1

After the conversion only the power and 5g lights are lit so that is normal.
Try this:
Set static IP for PC.
start > run > ncpa.cpl > double click Ethernet > properties > IPV4 >
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet: Default (255.255.255.0)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Hold reset button 10 seconds
Power off router (keep holding reset)
Wait 10 seconds, keep holding reset
Power on router holding reset for 10 more seconds

Then try connecting 192.168.1.1
I try it. No result.
Power led blink, router not ping, wireshark show only arp from router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!