What's new

Aimesh on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plug PC to LAN2, ISP to WAN, and it looks like switch oO

EDITED: change port again, and all seems ok. Why LAN1 and LAN2 have this behavior?

Because when you do the conversion wan1 gets switched to lan1 and I'm not sure how to fix it. It says that in the instructions.

Here's how I did it.
You will need Putty, WinSCP, CFEEdit or other hex editor, asus rt-ac68 firmware & mtd-write.
If you search for "Bay area tech pros" in Google you can find the files.

1. Enable SSH in "Adminitration" - "System" tab.

2. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to your router using its Lan ip address. In WinSCP selet SCP as protocol.

3. In putty type:
cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin

4. In WinSCP you should be in the /home/root or /root directory hit the refresh icon on right side to see original_cfe.bin.

5. Copy original_cfe.bin form router to your computer by dragging from the right window to your computer in the left window.

6. Open the original_cfe.bin in your editor and find the 2 instances of RT-AC56U and replace with RT-AC68U save the file as new_cfe.bin

7. In WinSCP copy the new_cfe.bin, mtd-write, and RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx back to your router.

8. In Putty type: chmod u+x mtd-write

9. In Putty type: ./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

10. In Putty type: mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx linux

11. Follow steps below to perform NVRAM Reset, wait for reboot <5 mins
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds
c. Press and hold WPS button
d. Power up the router and continue to hold WPS button for 15-20 seconds until power LED starts blinking very quickly.

After reboot it should report as a rt-ac68u.

Since initially writing this I uploaded a rt-ac68u official .cfe to it with the correct mac addresses and secret code and it works fine except the WAN is still LAN1 and the power and 5g lights are the only lights that light up.

Thanks for the instructions. The only thing I would suggest adding is in step 10, if "bus error" pops up, just ignore it.

I was able to convert my RT-AC56U to RT-AC68U. At first, I did try AiMesh, but wasn't satisfied with its limited control on the AiMesh node (the RT-AC56U). I use my slave router as a repeater and for attaching two USB HDD and running FTP/Samba with it. AiMesh made me lose those functionalities, so back to repeater mode. The good thing I got out of this is that the RT-AC56U router is up to date with firmware releases and not rendered obsolete with bugs and security holes. I'll one day put this router back on AiMesh node once I get my hands on AX88U router.

Hi, I would like to perform this upgrade tonight by following the steps. Since there have been new firmware versions released since the instructions, would you (all) recommend that I start with the version specified in the original instructions or should I go straight to the latest version (3.0.0.4.385.10000)? Also, based on that answer - if I did start with the older version in the instructions, does it make sense to upgrade to the latest version via the Asus interface?

Hi,

Thanks for giving this a try and posting. I am going to try and get Aimesh working on an RT-N56U. I used to have the RT-AC68U, and it was much more capable than the N56U. The N56U may not make it through this experiment alive. If I were an old router, I'd rather go out with a bang than sit in a box for years and possibly decades; that's how I see it. Any thoughts before I move forward?

Totally different hardware. It won't work. The flash memory is too small.

Thanks for letting me know. N54U will live another day.

I have three google wifi mesh routers. They are not very capable as far as offering many options. I found alternatives to root them and gain access to more options HERE
https://www.hackster.io/news/rootin...with-a-screwdriver-and-galeforce-b3afa083a15b

I want to find a way to use three google wifi mesh routers with my Aimesh.
Any ideas on how to get 3 google wifi routers to work in mesh; on one NAT with Aimesh running DHCP on an RT-AC5300 as the main and an RT-AC86U node?

Any ideas to accomplish this or get close? I want to use the three google mesh for something or even anything. I'm open to other ideas on putting them to use.

I have updated the 56u to 3.0.0.4.385.20433 without any problems and I have been using it as my main router for the last 2weeks. The wireless is turned off the on the 56u and I have 3 68U's that are providing wireless in Aimesh wired config and everything is running well.

This little router has been around for a long time and she just keeps getting better.

Hello everyone!

I tried to make ac68u from ac56u - successfully.
But, the USB outputs did not work, the power indicator worked and the LAN1 port became like WAN, LAN2-LAN4 as local.
At the same time: The full RT-AC68U interface, any official firmware from AC68 including the latest ones from Merlin (384.7) are successfully installed.

But, to AC86U I could not connect such "AC68U" via AiMESH.
AC86 "saw" on cable 68, tried to add it as a node - but after 2-3 minutes of the scan there was an error adding.
For 86 I used 384.17, for "ac68" 2-3 pieces of stock and the last 384.16 and 384.17 from Merlin.

Return to factory cfe and fw for AC56U according to the same scheme from above.

It is unfortunate that I cannot use all the power of 56 for my own benefit. Perhaps it was necessary to reset 86 to the factory settings, but unfortunately I have made too many settings in it.

Last edited:
Sorry it didn't work out for you. To be honest I never tried the USB functionality on the 56u and I don't have a 86u to try out either. I will try the USB at some point but I have to wait for the wife and kids to be off beforehand so I don't get yelled at, that leaves me a window of opportunity between roughly 1am and 6am.

Great news, if you manage to fix the operation of indicators and the correct port naming, it will be super. !!!!

In the end, I defeated the problem of connecting 56 to the Aimesh system to 86.
My mistake was that I connected the main cable from 86 to port 2-3-4 of 56. But it was necessary in Lan1 - since it actually became a WAN port.

Here's how I did it.
You will need Putty, WinSCP, CFEEdit or other hex editor, asus rt-ac68 firmware & mtd-write.
If you search for "Bay area tech pros" in Google you can find the files.

1. Enable SSH in "Adminitration" - "System" tab.

2. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to your router using its Lan ip address. In WinSCP selet SCP as protocol.

3. In putty type:
cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin

4. In WinSCP you should be in the /home/root or /root directory hit the refresh icon on right side to see original_cfe.bin.

5. Copy original_cfe.bin form router to your computer by dragging from the right window to your computer in the left window.

6. Open the original_cfe.bin in your editor and find the 2 instances of RT-AC56U and replace with RT-AC68U save the file as new_cfe.bin

7. In WinSCP copy the new_cfe.bin, mtd-write, and RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx back to your router.

8. In Putty type: chmod u+x mtd-write

9. In Putty type: ./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

10. In Putty type: mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx linux

11. Follow steps below to perform NVRAM Reset, wait for reboot <5 mins
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds
c. Press and hold WPS button
d. Power up the router and continue to hold WPS button for 15-20 seconds until power LED starts blinking very quickly.

After reboot it should report as a rt-ac68u.

Since initially writing this I uploaded a rt-ac68u official .cfe to it with the correct mac addresses and secret code and it works fine except the WAN is still LAN1 and the power and 5g lights are the only lights that light up.

AWESOME! FANTASTIC!

I had 2 RT-AC56U sitting around as I have switched to RT-AC68U (not knowing they where much similar) and with your magic trick my 2 old RT-AC56U think they are RT-AC68U... and they connect with AiMesh without a issue!

Thanks.

Just a note: I have lost MANY hours because I had a non-AsusWRT firmware (AdvancedTomato and DD-WRT).

The important "mtd-write2" program is NOT in Tomato and DD-WRT, so I had to switch back to AsusWrt before doing the magic trick.

But new RT-AC56U AsusWrt firmware can't be installed via WebGUI or via recovery/TFTP or with CFE miniweb... No way, tried many times until I have found this post: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1129261
Try to flash with an older base stock version, like John's Merlin fork:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v32e4.18914/
Use the cfe mini-web firmware recovery to flash.

I have flashed RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-19E3j9527.zip then went on smooth with your tutorial.

Great work.

Just a quick note to Special. I was about to sell or throw away my 56u until i read his incredible post to upgrade it to the 68U (i bought the 88u yesterday). Took me 2 hrs to find this article, gather the tools, and convert the firmware. Then added it to the mesh on my new 88u and it works PERFECTLY.
before my ROKU hisense TV was getting "fair" when connected to the 88u on 5g. Now, my new MESH router is in my farthest room from the 88U and i get "Excellent" for bandwidth.
I am SO pissed with ASUS for preventing their old router from being used as MESH out of the box, as most greedy corporate swine are always looking to screw the customer. Last update for the 56U was like november or october of 2019. I didn't even notice this as the auto update firmware feature was not working and routers are set it and forget it.
So despite the 88u having 200 lan ports and enough wings and antennas to take off as a drone, it still doesn't send the 5G signal to far in my house. This saved me another $100-200 to buy a new AP, or extender. I am so grateful to special for his hack!. Stick it to the MAN! Awesome dude!. I love you

@leftydog1961, to be fair, you could have used the RT-AC56U as a bridge with @john9527's firmware with similarly excellent results for your TV. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!