What's new

Aimesh on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@leftydog1961, to be fair, you could have used the RT-AC56U as a bridge with @john9527's firmware with similarly excellent results for your TV. :)
Wasn't aware of any other options! Mesh was stuck in my head, so i didn't look for bridge, or AP, etc. The reason i got the 88u was to mesh with the 56u, and, imagine my surprise when i discovered it wasn't on the list of approved mesh routers. All in all, the MESH works and that justifies the outrageous $360 price on the 88U.

I am so grateful to special for his hack!. Stick it to the MAN! Awesome dude!. I love you

Haha...Love it and thanks.

@leftydog1961, to be fair, you could have used the RT-AC56U as a bridge with @john9527's firmware with similarly excellent results for your TV.

Yes he could but in bridge mode it doesn't extend his wireless network and the tv would have to be wired to the router.

My hisense roku tv doesn't have an ethernet port. surprising! Streaming on 5G is super now. AWESOME!! Question is should i switch the 88u to merlin or not? seems to work well as is.

I'm on official for the past 6 months or so, for me it's a hassle to set everything back up again, I may switch back in the future but for now everything is working smoothly so I'll leave well enough alone.

Here's how I did it.
You will need Putty, WinSCP, CFEEdit or other hex editor, asus rt-ac68 firmware & mtd-write.
If you search for "Bay area tech pros" in Google you can find the files.

1. Enable SSH in "Adminitration" - "System" tab.

2. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to your router using its Lan ip address. In WinSCP selet SCP as protocol.

3. In putty type:
cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin

4. In WinSCP you should be in the /home/root or /root directory hit the refresh icon on right side to see original_cfe.bin.

5. Copy original_cfe.bin form router to your computer by dragging from the right window to your computer in the left window.

6. Open the original_cfe.bin in your editor and find the 2 instances of RT-AC56U and replace with RT-AC68U save the file as new_cfe.bin

7. In WinSCP copy the new_cfe.bin, mtd-write, and RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx back to your router.

8. In Putty type: chmod u+x mtd-write

9. In Putty type: ./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

10. In Putty type: mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx linux

11. Follow steps below to perform NVRAM Reset, wait for reboot <5 mins
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds
c. Press and hold WPS button
d. Power up the router and continue to hold WPS button for 15-20 seconds until power LED starts blinking very quickly.

After reboot it should report as a rt-ac68u.

Since initially writing this I uploaded a rt-ac68u official .cfe to it with the correct mac addresses and secret code and it works fine except the WAN is still LAN1 and the power and 5g lights are the only lights that light up.

Hi Special,

Newbie here,
I tried this and my RT-AC56U is running AiMesh node with RT-AC68U Firmware.
I looked around and I was able to flash Dlink DIR-868L with RT-AC66U B1 and now running as AiMesh node.

Thank you for your guide.

My Question is, Is there any other router (preferbly with external antennas) that can flash AiMesh Firmware?

Nice work and I didn't know the Dlink could be converted. Did you use the same procedure to convert the Dlink?

I looked around and I was able to flash Dlink DIR-868L with RT-AC66U B1 and now running as AiMesh node.

Nice work and I didn't know the Dlink could be converted. Did you use the same procedure to convert the Dlink?

This is illegal. Asuswrt contains proprietary components only licensed for use on actual Asus devices, and any such discussions are forbidden on these forums.

Hi RMerlin,

Thank you for the list.
I was wondering about some of the earlier devices like AC56U that are not fortunate enough to be in ASUS's official AiMesh supported list but able to make them compatable with a little help.

I was wondering about some of the earlier devices like AC56U that are not fortunate enough to be in ASUS's official AiMesh supported list but able to make them compatable with a little help.

If it's not supported, then there is nothing you can do. It has to be implemented at the firmware level.

Hello everyone
I am a total beginner, so I would ask for help.
Namely, I have an ASUS RT N56U that is not used, so I would like to upgrade it to be aimesh in the system with the ASUS RT AC88U.

The upgrade process itself from post # 8 is not the clearest to me.
I have installed all the listed programs ....
If I understood the router well I connect the LAN (LAN port) cable to the PC?
I turn on the router, and use the IP address to enter the router? This way the PC doesn't see the router?
Can anyone explain this to me step by step?
Thank you.
P.S.
I will probably come up with additional questions. ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the RT-N56 can not be converted to use Aimesh it has a different processor and is not compatible. You can possibly use it as a repeater or If you can hardwire it you can use it as an access point.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the RT-N56 can not be converted to use Aimesh it has a different processor and is not compatible. You can possibly use it as a repeater or If you can hardwire it you can use it as an access point.
Ups THX,

Hi there, hope you all are doing well.

Just followed the steps in post #8 with success, now my RT-AC56U is a RT-AC68U, many thanks.

Just one quick question: I used the RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx firmware just to follow the procedure in the same manner. Question is, may I or should I upgrade the firmware or is it better to leave it as it is?

Thanks again,

Put what ever firmware you like asus or merlin, mine is currently running official asus 3.0.0.4.385.20633.

Here's how I did it.
You will need Putty, WinSCP, CFEEdit or other hex editor, asus rt-ac68 firmware & mtd-write.
If you search for "Bay area tech pros" in Google you can find the files.

1. Enable SSH in "Adminitration" - "System" tab.

2. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to your router using its Lan ip address. In WinSCP selet SCP as protocol.

3. In putty type:
cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin

4. In WinSCP you should be in the /home/root or /root directory hit the refresh icon on right side to see original_cfe.bin.

5. Copy original_cfe.bin form router to your computer by dragging from the right window to your computer in the left window.

6. Open the original_cfe.bin in your editor and find the 2 instances of RT-AC56U and replace with RT-AC68U save the file as new_cfe.bin

7. In WinSCP copy the new_cfe.bin, mtd-write, and RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx back to your router.

8. In Putty type: chmod u+x mtd-write

9. In Putty type: ./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

10. In Putty type: mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx linux

11. Follow steps below to perform NVRAM Reset, wait for reboot <5 mins
a. Power off router
b. Wait 10 seconds
c. Press and hold WPS button
d. Power up the router and continue to hold WPS button for 15-20 seconds until power LED starts blinking very quickly.

After reboot it should report as a rt-ac68u.

Since initially writing this I uploaded a rt-ac68u official .cfe to it with the correct mac addresses and secret code and it works fine except the WAN is still LAN1 and the power and 5g lights are the only lights that light up.

Can anyone help with this? I am a legit noob and i have a $20 ac56u id like to try this on. I dont know where to dload the firmware for ac68u. Or where to get MDT-write... Thanks!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!