What's new

AiMesh Setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
I am going to be buying the AX86u router. I and currently have the AC86u and the AC86u 2.4 GHZ is not working and I was thinking as using the AX86u as the main and my current AC86u as the node as the new AX86u will have the 2.4ghz working as I need that as I have some devices that will only connect to 2.4ghz. My question is how shall I approach this? I currently have my AC86u using the latest Merlin version. I am think now that I might want to disable the 2.4 and just use the 5.0 GHZ on the 86u and use Ethernet for my Nvidia for streaming. Can someone please let me know how best to set this up? also in terms of firmware should I run Merlin on both? or use asus firmware on 1 and merlin on another?

I am going to be buying the AX86u router. I and currently have the AC86u and the AC86u 2.4 GHZ is not working and I was thinking as using the AX86u as the main and my current AC86u as the node as the new AX86u will have the 2.4ghz working as I need that as I have some devices that will only connect to 2.4ghz. My question is how shall I approach this? I currently have my AC86u using the latest Merlin version. I am think now that I might want to disable the 2.4 and just use the 5.0 GHZ on the 86u and use Ethernet for my Nvidia for streaming. Can someone please let me know how best to set this up? also in terms of firmware should I run Merlin on both? or use asus firmware on 1 and merlin on another?

I would minimally commission the new AX86U with current Asuswrt firmware (upload, reset, configure from scratch) and add the node with current Asuswrt firmware (upload, reset). Use/play with that network and your clients to confirm operation. Troubleshoot any new hardware issues including with Asus Support/RMA and/or return to seller.

Later, if the new AX86U has no new hardware issues, start over with Asuswrt-Merlin on the router, if needed. I don't think it matters which firmware you run on the node... check the Asuswrt-Merlin Wiki.

Later still, layer on any additional configuration you need, one step at a time to allow time to determine cause and affect.

However, I believe you need all radios healthy on all nodes to setup/use AiMesh, even if you intend to use a wired backhaul. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

OE

I would minimally commission the new AX86U with current Asuswrt firmware (upload, reset, configure from scratch) and add the node with current Asuswrt firmware (upload, reset). Use/play with that network and your clients to confirm operation. Troubleshoot any new hardware issues including with Asus Support/RMA and/or return to seller.

Later, if the new AX86U has no new hardware issues, start over with Asuswrt-Merlin on the router, if needed. I don't think it matters which firmware you run on the node... check the Asuswrt-Merlin Wiki.

Later still, layer on any additional configuration you need, one step at a time to allow time to determine cause and affect.

However, I believe you need all radios healthy on all nodes to setup/use AiMesh, even if you intend to use a wired backhaul. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

OE
Thanks even If I disable the wifi on my old AC86u and just use the new AX86u wifi for 2.5 and 5.0 GHZ? Your saying may not work as I don't have a healthy radio on my old router Ac86u?

Thanks even If I disable the wifi on my old AC86u and just use the new AX86u wifi for 2.5 and 5.0 GHZ? Your saying may not work as I don't have a healthy radio on my old router Ac86u?

Yes, AiMesh setup might insist that all WiFi be working correctly.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!