What's new

AiProtection - does anybody know what information is leaving?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dffvb

Occasional Visitor
Hi there, prior to migrating to Merlin WRT, I did the last upgrade (first 385) on my 88U. When enabling QOS I had to accept TrendMicro Privacy Policy. Being a lawyer I gave it a quick look. Looks to me, it is not coverign the routers, but more the home page etc. So despite the fact it is the wrong privacy policy, I would like to know, if anybody has checked which information they are checking ?

Sorry if this has been asked in the past, I did a search...

I personally would not bother with it. Just another worthless tool to eat up memory and resources. Pretty soon when there all done adding this and that on top of all the added scripts the router will be crippled. No thanks. Just my 2 cents.

Are you currently running Merlin? I ask because this was in the "Official WRT" forum, but you mention having flashed Merlin. If you are still running Merlin, you might consider installing Skynet in lieu of AI Protection. They are not exactly doing the same thing in the same way, but they both provide security against incoming threats, and Skynet is transparent, whereas AI Protection is a black box.

Suricata has also been introduced for Merlin devices, and it may offer many AI Protection features in a transparent way.

I realize that, but I am suggesting Skynet, which is only relevant if he runs Merlin.

I see why it is posted here, and also that he likely runs Merlin, I just phrased things that way for clarity. And in so doing, I probably fogged the windows a bit :)

I realize that, but I am suggesting Skynet, which is only relevant if he runs Merlin.

The question is what data it collects. Not what to replace it with. The answer to this question is only TrendMicro knows exactly. As per EULA they may collect anything they like, basically. :)

If I didn’t see a notable improvement with QoS and FreshJR I would probably turn that stuff off, but my measly 50/5 connection really needs QoS.

The question is what data it collects. Not what to replace it with. The answer to this question is only TrendMicro knows exactly. As per EULA they may collect anything they like, basically. :)

Yes, exactly as I said. RMerlin has said that it is essentially a black box, so I suggested replacing it with something transparent. Sorry if you had trouble understanding.

The lawyers I employ are not particularly good programmers, but they are familiar with this thing called "conversation".

It works like this:

Person 1 "Have you heard of xyz?"

Person 2 "No but I am familiar with abc"

Now Person 1 has learned something.

You should try this sometime, learning is kind of contagious. Once you try it, new doors open everywhere.

Being a lawyer I gave it a quick look.

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/about/legal/privacy.html
Page 11, English - Home Network Security products
https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/e...e-network-security/router-compatibility-list/
routers Home Network Security applies to

AiProtection is a home use product. Look at enterprise class firewalls for business needs.

Update: TrendMicro have a stand alone station. The information above applies directly to this product. AiProtection name is Asus specific using ThendMicro engine on the router. No exclusive AiProtection information is provided.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks everybody for the answers. I am currently running Merlin. However I was interested overall, what they are using.

@distilled I am considering to install skynet, it sounds quite interesting, currentyl I want to get more familair with the different implications the chnange has brought with it.

The answer to this question is only TrendMicro knows exactly. As per EULA they may collect anything they like, basically.

Thats not so cool. I thought maybe was able to check exactly liek with a man in the middle or alike.

No exclusive AiProtection information is provided.
And thats not so cool either, in the German version it quit emore abstract...

Well thank so far, if Merlin says it is a blackbox this is probably not so easy to check. On the one side I appreciate the protection, because now and then a page gets blocked, on the other hand I d like to know whats going on... in particular since there probably was a change. Otherwise I wouldnt have to consent now? Or they have been quite lazy and implement GDPR only now...

If you have fast enough ISP, you can do the following:
a) withdraw your data sharing consent with TrendMicro in Administration, Privacy
b) use custom filtering DNS with malware filtering in WAN, DNS settings
c) install Diversion with custom trackers, spyware, malware lists
d) install Skynet with default settings

Adaptive QoS needs TrendMicro services. With fast ISP you may not need QoS. Filtering DNS is your first defense. Diversion is your own DNS-based blocker. Skynet is your own IP-based blocker. All 3 together are good AiProtection alternative with no data sharing.

Yep, like K-2SO said, it is pretty easy to replace the functionality AI Protect claims to provide with other free scripts. It is really easy to set up, and this is a fantastic group of people, so you can get help setting it up, if need be.

Rgnldo also just released a Suricata port for the Asus HND devices, and it may be even more similar to AI Protection, but it may be more bleeding edge, at least at this point, and it is probably best to stick with Diversion & Skynet in a production environment, at least for now.

Just be sure to ask if you have questions, it honestly seems like some of the gurus here genuinely enjoy being helpful. The rest of the world could take a lesson from this forum. :)

Thanks for the answers. This is a really cool forum with many engaged people! Will try over the next few weeks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!