What's new

AiProtection Web and Apps Filter - Slow Browsing (AC86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JayM

New Around Here
Running 384.8_2 Merlin but doubt that the Merlin FW is the issue. I have noticed significant browser delay when using Parental Controls-Web and Apps Filter on client machines that I have assigned on that page. I haven't seen much on these boards on this issue (maybe nobody uses it), other than this thread which describes problem pretty well. Is this a known artifact of how the filtering works? Seems like a good feature but the delay (which can be up to 10 seconds) makes it unusable for the most part. I'm using a VPN so I think that makes OpenDNS not an option.

Running 384.8_2 Merlin but doubt that the Merlin FW is the issue. I have noticed significant browser delay when using Parental Controls-Web and Apps Filter on client machines that I have assigned on that page. I haven't seen much on these boards on this issue (maybe nobody uses it), other than this thread which describes problem pretty well. Is this a known artifact of how the filtering works? Seems like a good feature but the delay (which can be up to 10 seconds) makes it unusable for the most part. I'm using a VPN so I think that makes OpenDNS not an option.

That's why many users don't use AiProtection. It's just a marketing tactic.

It's just a marketing tactic.

It's not. The WRS service used by the router is similar to what business Trend Micro customers have on their network, for instance. It will block access to a lot of malicious websites on all of your network clients.

It's not. The WRS service used by the router is similar to what business Trend Micro customers have on their network, for instance. It will block access to a lot of malicious websites on all of your network clients.

Interesting. Thanks for the response. Would be interested if the slow browsing is typical or if some settings tend to affect performance. I should note that I am also running a VPN client on the router but the performance under the VPN only is just fine.

Interesting. Thanks for the response. Would be interested if the slow browsing is typical or if some settings tend to affect performance. I should note that I am also running a VPN client on the router but the performance under the VPN only is just fine.

Could be a number of factors. The Malicious Website blocking requires contacting Trend Micro's WRS server to look up for visited sites. Maybe your VPN provider has a slow route to their server for example.

The malicious website blocking didn't cause any noticeable slowdown here back when I was using it.

When it comes to slow browsing however, the most common culprit tends to be the DNS. Having multiple nameservers configured but not all of them working properly for instance can lead to performance issues.

Could be a number of factors. The Malicious Website blocking requires contacting Trend Micro's WRS server to look up for visited sites. Maybe your VPN provider has a slow route to their server for example.

The malicious website blocking didn't cause any noticeable slowdown here back when I was using it.

When it comes to slow browsing however, the most common culprit tends to be the DNS. Having multiple nameservers configured but not all of them working properly for instance can lead to performance issues.
May be an ignorant question, but does the Parental Control-Web and Apps Filter use the same process (WRS server) as the malicious site blocking feature under Network Protection or is there more to it that might make it slower than just malicious site blocking?

May be an ignorant question, but does the Parental Control-Web and Apps Filter use the same process (WRS server) as the malicious site blocking feature under Network Protection or is there more to it that might make it slower than just malicious site blocking?

I don't know.

Anti-virus software / DNS setting will affect dpi engine, it will make some packets lost or make behavior incorrect to surf the Internet.

Thanks,
Vanic