What's new

[Alpha] 386.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No blank LAN icons here and yes new icons in this firmware.
Is possible to choose a user uploaded icon, to reuse it, or it still needs to be uploaded again and again? Please @RMerlin this would be of great help and avoid to upload multiple times the same icon, like this:
Untitled-1.jpg

Anyone else getting IPTables Rules failed in Skynet with Alpha 2 on AC68Us? I have 3x that all have the same issue but my AX88U is fine though,

1615213216011.png

Anyone else getting IPTables Rules failed in Skynet with Alpha 2 on AC68Us? I have 3x that all have the same issue but my AX88U is fine though,

View attachment 31733
(1) RT-AC68U, (1) RT-AC86U, and (5) RT-AX88U primary routers all fine.

One feature of alpha2 is that half of my standard icons on the LAN clients is now blank, noticed there was a note in Asus release about change to icons, I guess that's a symptom of that.
Clear your browser cache, Asus changed the whole icon database and how they are implemented.
Because you are using triple-isolate option by default and it is bad and does not work, it has been known for years in Openwrt:
- triple-isolate (bad default option)
What was the reason for them to make triple-isolate the default?

notsure2 / freshtomato-arm / commit / 48407b077bbe — Bitbucket

Here's something interesting.
He backported cake and wireguard for tomato-arm kernel 2.6.
If I am an ac68u~ac5300 user, I will try, but I have no motivation.
I know. But the backport makes a shirt ton of changes all over the kernel sources, and I don't feel like experimenting with whether this breaks anything else. I have a lot more of closed source modules in my firmware than Tomato does.

Morning

Uploaded 386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715 to both nodes and all is fine. Have not done factory reset though.
BTW - with alpha2 and with previous alpha1->newer alpha1 upgrade I did not see the issue with failed first update on the main router at all (perhaps it was enough to clear cookies once or it just disappeared naturally).

One feature of alpha2 is that half of my standard icons on the LAN clients is now blank, noticed there was a note in Asus release about change to icons, I guess that's a symptom of that.
I also upgraded 3 RT-AC68U's from 386.1_2 to RT-AC68U_386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715, and only have a list instead of selectable icons:
1615218965878.png

Everything else (I am using) appears to be OK

Edit:
OK, saw more recent posts, cleared browser cache. Slapped myself for not reading a little more..., All is well.

Last edited:
They had to choose a default option and they chose that, because you can use the same option in download and upload, but that does not mean that it is the best.

I can agree with that. Easy isn't always the best. It does make sense they choose to use it as the default. But if this indeed was tested a good amount, and the other option is better, I would like to try it myself. Because torrent type traffic can be an issue at times, for a good amount of people. For me, I want to try using the best setting to keep my online gaming feeling good.

Which last night while I was online gaming a bit, I noticed a couple times things felt off, and the connection felt jerky. Overall this isn't always the case, but last night, there was several devices on my network using bandwidth. So it has me wondering if that was causing my online gaming to feel a bit off randomly. As I mentioned in another post, it's possible it was a routing/server issue. But I noticed this over several games, which normally you switch servers, game to game. Also for COD at least, if the server is bad, you will notice it the whole match. Not here, and there.

I'm not so sure about changing Cake in any way. I just set it up, and it was just selecting Cake, setting the bandwidth I have and choosing overhead. The bandwidth I use is 59/29 I subscribe to 60/30 FTTP. Works really well in real time provides a good environment for my work from home stuff, no lag anywhere it would seem. Way to go @RMerlin DSL Reports shows A+ across the board.

EDIT: The above DSLReports test was completed while running a video stream for basic TV about 6Mb/s, No other traffic at the time. Cake seems to work better with defined upload/download values. Automatic bandwidth is not the same, DSLReports tests show. It works I'm staying with it.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U_386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715:
- VPN client does work now as in traffic being routed thru VPN, but it seems like DNS is leaking - and this was not there before:

VPN: PIA connected to US East-Coast server

1615221429029.png

I'm not so sure about changing Cake in any way.
Keep in mind the scenario he is describing involves having multiple hosts at once competing for bandwidth, where a single host may monopolize most of it for itself. Which is probably different from your specific test scenario that only included one single host.

Do this test and get your own conclusions:
Thanks for the info, I will review it and definitely consider it.

I have to rely on the information that's out there, because I can't use Cake myself, my connection is too fast and requires hardware acceleration to be kept enabled.

RT-AX86U_386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715:
- VPN client does work now as in traffic being routed thru VPN, but it seems like DNS is leaking - and this was not there before:

VPN: PIA connected to US East-Coast server

View attachment 31748
What is your DNS configuration set to on the client? If it's not set to Exclusive (whoops) you will be using a combination of DNS servers, instead of PIA DNS.

Last edited:
What is your DNS configuration set to on the client? If it's not set to Exclusive (whoops) you will be using a combination of DNS servers, instead of PIA DNS.
Thanks Skeal, change to Exclusive fixed the issue!

IPv6 firewall is now filtering ICMPv6 requests on the latest 386.2._A2. All other Merlin builds this is not happening. I think it may be a carry over bug as Asus 41994 also does this. Not a huge deal just thought i would mention it.

IPv6 firewall is now filtering ICMPv6 requests on the latest 386.2._A2. All other Merlin builds this is not happening. I think it may be a carry over bug as Asus 41994 also does this. Not a huge deal just thought i would mention it.
It limits to 1 per second.
C:
fprintf(fp_ipv6, "-A FORWARD -p ipv6-icmp --icmpv6-type %i -m limit --limit 1/s -j %s\n", 128, logdrop);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!