What's new

[Alpha] 386.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the intended behavior and why did it change ? I guess it's also possible the test i used may be having issues. IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com) Always use to be 19/20 pass but starting with 41994 might even have started with 41700 but never with Merlin builds.
It's a new addition from the GPL 386_42095 merge from ASUS. That's how it changed. The why is unknown. Probably DDoS related like most iptables limit rules.

It's a new addition from the GPL 386_42095 merge from ASUS. That's how it changed. The why is unknown. Probably DDoS related like most iptables limit rules.

Thanks for the quick answers Dave. At least i know it indeed has changed. Outside of that the new Alpha is working spot on AX58U. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DSL Reports shows A+ across the board.

What do I need to do to get values for all 4 circles?

(I get green A+ or A for Overall and Quality, but gray dash for Bufferbloat and Speed)

I'm also surprised by the reported DL/UL speeds: 16/15, where I pay for 250/25 (and most other speed tests report 200/25)

Temperature Drop:
was running 60c maybe 61c (top about 64c)
now running
56c

2.4G Band stopped broadcasting, no radio.
SEE POST #435

Last edited:
What do I need to do to get values for all 4 circles?

(I get green A+ or A for Overall and Quality, but gray dash for Bufferbloat and Speed)

I'm also surprised by the reported DL/UL speeds: 16/15, where I pay for 250/25 (and most other speed tests report 200/25)
Join DSLReports, create an account and login. Look through settings and enable the servers you would like and length of test. In regards to your speed, what router model do you have? By using Cake and entering 95% bandwidth as up and down rates you lose hardware acceleration. So if you have a earlier model router you would likely want to keep acceleration on to maintain your download stats or for sure your bandwidth will drop. Also chose the right overhead pre-setting.

Clear your browser cache, Asus changed the whole icon database and how they are implemented.
I'm not running this Alpha but I'm curious for the next public version, I've added a few of my own icons I carefully made for my peripherals, how they deal with this?

Temperature Drop:
was running 60c maybe 61c (top about 64c)
now running 56c
Not seeing any temperature changes on my AX86u:
Current Temperatures: 38 °C - 45 °C - 64 °C (this is with external low rpm fan)
Same as 386.1

Join DSLReports, create an account and login. Look through settings and enable the servers you would like and length of test. In regards to your speed, what router model do you have? By using Cake and entering 95% bandwidth as up and down rates you lose hardware acceleration. So if you have a earlier model router you would likely want to keep acceleration on to maintain your download stats or for sure your bandwidth will drop. Also chose the right overhead pre-setting.
I have an AC86u.

Are we supposed to enter the max values or 95% in the web GUI?

I'm not running this Alpha but I'm curious for the next public version, I've added a few of my own icons I carefully made for my peripherals, how they deal with this?
I don't know, you'll have to try and find out.

They had to choose a default option and they chose that, because you can use the same option in download and upload, but that does not mean that it is the best.

As I mentioned in my previous post:
- The option Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) and is the panacea and it has been known for years in Openwrt.

You can ask in Openwrt, they will give you the same answer.

Do this test and get your own conclusions:
You just have to download a torrent (for example Ubuntu) and on two cell phones or computers at the same time, do speed test with only "1" Parallel connections (Min and Max) at https://fast.com/ and observe how all the bandwidth is stolen by the computer that is downloading the torrent, because you are using triple-isolate option by default.

But when you use the option Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost), it fixes and all devices now share the same bandwidth.

OpenWrt Wiki - SQM Details:
Cake's original isolation mode was based on flows: each stream was isolated from all the others, and the link capacity was divided evenly between all active streams independent of IP addresses. More recently Cake switched to triple-isolate, which will first make sure that no internal or external host will hog too much bandwidth and then will still guarantee for fairness for each host. In that mode, Cake mostly does the right thing. It would ensure that no single stream and no single host could hog all the capacity of the WAN link. However, it can't prevent a BitTorrent client - with multiple connections - from monopolizing most of the capacity. And running speedtests from multiple internal hosts to the same speedtest server can give unpredictable results.

Cake now uses the true source/destination address information to create Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost), and dynamically distributes the available bandwidth fairly between the currently-active IP addresses. So a single Netflix stream to one host ideally gets just as much capacity as all the BitTorrent traffic destined to another.

To enable Per-Host Isolation Add the following to the “Advanced option strings”:
- Incoming packets from the internet (internet-ingress): nat dual-dsthost ingress
- Outgoing packets to the internet (internet-egress): nat dual-srchost

So, with this setup, should queue priority still be left as "besteffort"?

Morning

Uploaded 386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715 to both nodes and all is fine. Have not done factory reset though.
BTW - with alpha2 and with previous alpha1->newer alpha1 upgrade I did not see the issue with failed first update on the main router at all (perhaps it was enough to clear cookies once or it just disappeared naturally).

One feature of alpha2 is that half of my standard icons on the LAN clients is now blank, noticed there was a note in Asus release about change to icons, I guess that's a symptom of that.

I had the same issue with the stock icons but my custom icons appeared fine. If I went in to change them it gave me a text list that I have never seen before. I also had something weird going on with DNS after I flashed it. I didn't have time to troubleshoot either issue so I just flashed back to the previous version until I have the time to figure out what was going on.

(AX88U/Skynet/Scribe/one AC68U mesh node)

I have an AC86u.

Are we supposed to enter the max values or 95% in the web GUI?
Use the values of what you want the UL/DL limits to be. Putting in 95% of your rated speeds is a good starting point... but you can choose whatever works best for your connection.
95% is a very sensible default that will work for a majority of people, hence the recommendation from most people to set it as such. So if you have a 100/20 connection, put in 95 and 19 or something similar to start with.

My WAN went down and came back up which change the IP, however, inadyn can't update the new IP. I have to restart DDNS to recover. If this is the case and I'm on the road I will not be able to vpn to the router, this is not good.
Code:
Mar  8 20:09:11 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
Mar  8 20:09:17 inadyn[20320]: Failed resolving hostname xxxxxxxxx.asuscomm.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
Mar  8 20:09:17 inadyn[20320]: Update forced for alias xxxxxxxxx.asuscomm.com, new IP# 68.xxx.xx.xx
Mar  8 20:09:27 inadyn[20320]: Failed resolving hostname ns1.asuscomm.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

My WAN went down and came back up which change the IP, however, inadyn can't update the new IP. I have to restart DDNS to recover. If this is the case and I'm on the road I will not be able to vpn to the router, this is not good.
Code:
Mar  8 20:09:17 inadyn[20320]: Failed resolving hostname xxxxxxxxx.asuscomm.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
Mar  8 20:09:17 inadyn[20320]: Update forced for alias xxxxxxxxx.asuscomm.com, new IP# 68.xxx.xx.xx
Mar  8 20:09:27 inadyn[20320]: Failed resolving hostname ns1.asuscomm.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
Yeesh... alpha2 or alpha1?

Code:
Are there no further update attempts later by watchdog (within 30 seconds or so)? You're only showing 16 seconds of the syslog, so more log info would be helpful.

Though most reported problems, any noticeable improvements with 386.2 so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!