What's new

[Alpha][MU-MIMO] Early preview of 380.59

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can´t get the iOS Asus App AiCloud to work with alpha2, pretty sure it worked in alpha1...
Turned off MU-MiMo on 5GHz, did´t work well with our stuff, low sluggish speeds after some time.

I can log into router and still have internet.but network map /clients and none list.tho have 15 clients.no cpu or ram stats, nothing in syslog. ac56u 380.59 alpha 1

I take it we're not getting any newer alpha/beta releases for the AC68U until Asus provide updated binary blobs?
Correct. I already asked them, haven't heard back from them yet.
Asus uploaded the 380_2695 source code for AC56U and other models on 3/28/2016. Can you use this or something is missing?
Merlin 380.59 alpha 2 released only for some models is based on 380_2697, a small difference.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC56U/GPL_RT_AC56U_90043802695.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/GPL_RT_AC66U_90043802695.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/GPL_RT_AC68U_90043802695.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC87U/GPL_RT_AC87U_90043802695.zip

Last edited:
The required files are missing..

They updated the zip file today. Hopefully that means they fixed the missing files. Unfortunately, the zip file is corrupt. Maybe @RMerlin can ask them to try again :)

Already did - this is the same corrupted zip they sent me 24 hours ago.....

RT-AC88U has been up for over 5 days now using 380.59 alpha2, without crashing when a wifi client attempts connection. Thanks Merlin.
Wonder if there was some quirk with 380.58 which caused the problem on this China purchased 88U.

Looking forward to 380.59 final release when it is ready.

Edit. I do have one question which is VPN related, but may be associated with this firmware version. After setting up the router VPN PPTP Server, are there any other settings needed in the router in order to force an incoming vpn client to get its internet service from the router WAN?
The reason I ask this is because I can connect to the server from my cell phone - using the cell data service. It gets the vpn and is shown connected in the router. But, the phone looses all internet access, except that it still has the vpn link, shown connected both at the router and at the phone. Only the phone cannot access any websites at all.
Stopping the vpn connection at the phone shows the disconnect in the router and the phone then it gets internet access again. When the phone is connected to vpn, I can ping it from the local lan and the ping fails (destination unreachable) as soon at I disconnect the phone from vpn. So for sure it is really connected. Only no internet.

Last edited:
Refreshed builds were uploaded. No real major change, as the latest GPL uploads from Asus were corrupted, so no change in supported models.

Alpha2 seems to be incompatible with the Astrill Router Applet (which is better than the standard OpenVPN client because it includes an Accelerator). I tested on the AC3200 but can test on the AC88U as well.

I have been using Merlin and the Astrill Router Applet for years - and have never had this problem. It is unable to load the astrill.asp file.

Just tried this again with the new Alpha2 build - OK, maybe very little has changed, but it is a new build (04/18) and this time I tested on the AC88U.

Unfortunately same problem :-(

Just tried this again with the new Alpha2 build - OK, maybe very little has changed, but it is a new build (04/18) and this time I tested on the AC88U.

Hmm. That sucks and is a show-stopper for me. Rats.

Tried the most recent test build on the RT-AC88U, and I still have an amazing extraordinarily slow GUI. This is even when the reset button is used and no changes have been made to any settings. The only thing I haven't tried yet is pulling the USB drive.

Load of any new page takes upto at least 5 minutes. I can't tell what else might be causing problems since I cannot change very much.

I have no idea how Astrill implemented it as I haven't seen their code, and there's no official API for third party developers, so they must be "hacking" their way on top of the existing code.

If a change prevents their patch from working, they will most likely update it after 380.59 goes final.

Merlin, if i wanted to build your 59 alpha is that just main, since it see no tags or branches for that version..

Merlin, if i wanted to build your 59 alpha is that just main, since it see no tags or branches for that version..

Yes, that's built from master's HEAD.

Thanks was also looking for checkin that had g1ff739b and could not find... I suppose if i wanted to match your alpha 2 exactly i wound go to main branch for april 4-5 checkin. I think i will build latest main and give it a whirl..i suppose you hold off commiting to main until you feel pretty good about the code?

Thanks was also looking for checkin that had g1ff739b and could not find... I suppose if i wanted to match your alpha 2 exactly i wound go to main branch for april 4-5 checkin. I think i will build latest main and give it a whirl..i suppose you hold off commiting to main until you feel pretty good about the code?

Remove the "g" at the start, it (probably) stand for "git". The commit is 1ff739b.

I tend to commit to master as I work, as it also acts as my backup. More risky or complex stuff is done on a branch, and gets merged to master once I'm comfortable with it (this is the case for every new GPL merge, and is currently the case with the experimental qos stuff as well).

So master is never guaranteed to be fully working. Right now it will fail to build for any router older than the RT-AC87U.

I have no idea how Astrill implemented it as I haven't seen their code, and there's no official API for third party developers, so they must be "hacking" their way on top of the existing code.

If a change prevents their patch from working, they will most likely update it after 380.59 goes final.

Thanks for the comment. All I know is that the astrill.asp file does load and then tries to connect to the router on a special port which then fails.

I started using Merlin because of the Astrill router applet. I also use Sabai OS which lets you have 2 VPN tunnels active at once.