What's new

[Alpha][MU-MIMO] Early preview of 380.59

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@RMerlin; is this gpl 380_2345 just for ac-88u router or we can hope firmwares for others routers too?

Too early to tell. At this time, one of the models fails to compile at all, and another crashes at boot time. The only two models I have tested are the RT-AC88U and RT-AC56U (which gets used for development/testing purposes).

I installed g26b553b but so far seems like this is still broken:

- FIXED: Daily/Monthly traffic monitoring shows invalid values on the RT-AC88U/3100/5300,
even with CTF disabled.

I installed g26b553b but so far seems like this is still broken:

- FIXED: Daily/Monthly traffic monitoring shows invalid values on the RT-AC88U/3100/5300,
even with CTF disabled.

Definitely works for me.

I did do a factory reset and then settings from scratch after the upgrade, this is on AC88U.

I only see the correct values if I disable CTF.

This is actually the way it's intended to work. In recent releases, the stats were always incorrect, regardless of whether you enabled or disabled CTF. Now, they once again work properly once you disable CTF. This is normal, CTF bypasses part of the networking chain, which is why you can't get reliable traffic stats with it enabled.

Reactions: eaz
I would like to test this firmware on my ac5300, but until merlin says it's working, I Will wait, I saw new models are added to the merlin downloads list, but 5300 is not one of them, so Will be here to find out when a 5300 compile appears.

Not sure if this helps, but the source code of the latest beta is already up for the RT-AC87U. Here

I saw this morning that the source code of multiple beta firmware was released by Asus, which is unusual.

It will take me a while to analyze and merge this code in.

Great news!

Maybe they done because i literally naged them about doing that, so that projects like yours can better adopt. Haha no, i dont believe so, but maybe its because the incremental security fixes which latest code includes. Think in this direction ( security and so on ) will be much change in the next time, caused by recently uncovered security flaws and the agreement between Asus and the FTC.

Anyway great to see it released by Asus and that you mister magic merlin got your hands already on it. Good job!

I only have 2 rt-ac66u 1 rt-3200 so gonna buy rt-ac87u as it has MU-MIMO.
I do not complains about speed but i think i have MU-MIMO clients in my network so nice to try the different if there is

On my AC66U the NTP doesn't fetch the time and date for two days now. I saw this problem beeing reported on Asus Beta testing page also by a polish dude. Edit: fixed by changing standard route from 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.1.1 my main router's IP.
The Asus routers keep waking up connected sleeping devices also, as reported by many others by the way. Every 15 minuttes or so I think.

Another issue I had with the AC66U router, is that it completely crashes every time I access it with the computer connected on LAN port no matter which fw revision. I have to power off and on again every time. Connecting through WiFi works. The router is in Media Bridge Mode.

Looking forward to AC87 update. :)
Thanks alot for the early update Merlin. You rock as always.

Last edited:
I only have 2 rt-ac66u 1 rt-3200 so gonna buy rt-ac87u as it has MU-MIMO.
I do not complains about speed but i think i have MU-MIMO clients in my network so nice to try the different if there is

Stay away from the 87u! thats a lemon with lots and lots of issues. Get the 88u instead.

The AC87U works fine now. The only issue worth mentioning is the battery drain issue I think?

This is actually the way it's intended to work. In recent releases, the stats were always incorrect, regardless of whether you enabled or disabled CTF. Now, they once again work properly once you disable CTF. This is normal, CTF bypasses part of the networking chain, which is why you can't get reliable traffic stats with it enabled.
Stupid question: what does CTF stand for?

Stupid question: what does CTF stand for?
CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) is software optimization technique to accelerate NAT.

The AC87U works fine now. The only issue worth mentioning is the battery drain issue I think?
My AC87U has been working great especially since pairing it with an Arris SB6190 cable modem. Merlin's firmware has been rock-solid since 380.57_0. I am suffering no battery drain issues with my Note 5 but I have it connect to my 2.4GHz band rather than the 5GHz band. :mad:

Performance is great and my battery life is okay. Even my wife and daughter report no issues with their iPhones and they use the 5GHz band as they are usually within line of sight with the router. Life seems cool. :)