What's new

amcfwm - AsusWRT-Merlin Custom Firmware Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jeffrey Young with all respect, I don't think Asus can make this closed source as the base for the firmware is open source Linux with many open source elements (like dropbear, dnsmasq, openssl, openvpn, curl, Busybox and Nano). Yes, proprietary elements (like Broadcom wireless drivers or TrendMicro) can be closed source. But with respect to the open source elements, Asus would be in violation of their own licenses if they did not release the source code as this is required by GPL v2. As even companies like Google (annual sales 160 BUSD) use open source Linux in Android, I would not see AsusTek (2020 annual sales trending toward 13 BUSD) developing their own OS. As @Jeffrey Young and @JGrana remember I am sure, back in the day Unix (as developed by Bell Labs) was a very expensive operating system and AT&T sued everyone including the University of California who tried to emulate Unix. So having the open source model with release of the source code is a blessing, and I agree with you that it is a shame that some cannot follow the rules.

Last edited:
@Jeffrey Young with all respect, I don't think Asus can make this closed source as the base for the firmware is open source Linux with many open source elements (like dropbear, dnsmasq, openssl, openvpn, curl, Busybox and Nano). Yes, proprietary elements (like Broadcom wireless drivers or TrendMicro) can be closed source. But with respect to the open source elements, Asus would be in violation of their own licenses if they did not release the source code as this is required by GPL v2. As even companies like Google (annual sales 160 BUSD) use open source Linux in Android, I would not see AsusTek (2020 annual sales trending toward 13 MUSD) developing their own OS. As @Jeffrey Young and @JGrana remember I am sure, back in the day Unix (as developed by Bell Labs) was a very expensive operating system and AT&T sued everyone including the University of California who tried to emulate Unix. So having the open source model with release of the source code is a blessing, and I agree with you that it is a shame that some cannot follow the rules.

Oh, totally agree. My comment was more illustrative as to the possible things that could happen and was intended to be hypocritical.

Anyone has a copy of the older setup.sh and build.sh scripts? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thank you.

So amcfwm and firmware building in general is useless now, fantastic :rolleyes:

not useless. Thank you for building it. That being said, with all the scripts and tools here I never enable any of the trend micro stuff. Unbound + Suricata + Skynet etc. So building your own is still a nice option.

So amcfwm and firmware building in general is useless now, fantastic :rolleyes:

not useless. Thank you for building it. That being said, with all the scripts and tools here I never enable any of the trend micro stuff. Unbound + Suricata + Skynet etc. So building your own is still a nice option.

Yes, not useless. For me who is not using Trend micro stuff too it is good to try the bleeding edge builds.
@RMerlin : maybe you can have nightly builds for someone as me, who does not hesitate to try to install anything new....

Yes, not useless. For me who is not using Trend micro stuff too it is good to try the bleeding edge builds.
@RMerlin : maybe you can have nightly builds for someone as me, who does not hesitate to try to install anything new....

I don't like the idea of completely untested firmware images flashed into critical components such as routers.

The closest I'm confortable with is the alpha snapshots I will occasionally publish when I trust a build enough to allow people to flash it onto their routers.

@Adamm I have not noticed any commits related to the SDK for AsusWRT 386, so I assume I cannot compile myself a build for the RT-AX58U at this point?

@Adamm I have not noticed any commits related to the SDK for AsusWRT 386, so I assume I cannot compile myself a build for the RT-AX58U at this point?

Only if you compile off the now obsolete 384.ax branch.

does the ubuntu version really matter?

does the ubuntu version really matter?
You are welcome to use any version you want, to compile firmware. However from support prespective it would be easier if we are all using same version, I am not sure if adamm would provide support or not with different version.

Good Grief :rolleyes: - a single [and relevant] refence to a post which questions whether the AUTHOR of the add-on in THIS THREAD has left the forum is hardly an attempt to spam the forums.

I have always sincerely appreciated your efforts and sent many donations along the way to you personally [more than the router cost me in the first place].
If I have touched a nerve by raising concerns that a valued member has seemingly withdrawn from these forums - then I'm sorry if you have taken it in some personal way - certainly not intended by me.

I am concerned that @Adamm appears to have left - and had in fact hoped that other "Parts of the Furniture" could be encouraged to try and get him back on sides ... before he totally disappears over the horizon as @FreshJR did.

Good Grief :rolleyes: - a single [and relevant] refence to a post which questions whether the AUTHOR of the add-on in THIS THREAD has left the forum is hardly an attempt to spam the forums.

You made a thread on this. After you linked to it in this thread, I simply stepped forward to ensure you didn't also do it in every other thread related to him. No harsh feeling, just being proactive in forum moderating to address potential issues before they occur, and launch yet another storm of arguing about the management changes Tim decided to implement. I decided to be pro-active here because I don't want this to devolve into yet another rant fest about the policy changes that happened two weeks ago now. People should move on...

People should move on...
They have. Pity it was one of the main third party developers and contributors.

EDIT: sorry but I've only found out today that Adam left when I saw Skynet's update on amtm and came to the addons forum for news. I'm frankly shocked that you would let someone developing such a popular addon go over a few long threads... it can't help reminding me of some silly managerial decisions that only bore sour fruits down the line.

Last edited:
Awesome script! Had done it manually in the past and it was involved. Tried for the first time with 2 builds and worked flawlessly. Thanks for this!
Is there a way to configure it to download the latest stable release instead of the latest commited?

Awesome script! Had done it manually in the past and it was involved. Tried for the first time with 2 builds and worked flawlessly. Thanks for this!
Is there a way to configure it to download the latest stable release instead of the latest commited?
Sadly the scripts usefulness has been severely compromised by those few "pirates" who have unlawfully applied proprietary Asus and Trendmicro code [included within the firmware] to non-Asus routers.

I really wish there was a more "intelligent" way of obstructing those pirates - rather than what seems to me to be a sledgehammer solution by breaking the self-compilers ability to compile a fully comprehensive version of the firmware for use on appropriate Asus Routers!

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/amcfwm-asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-manager.63227/post-626033

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/amcfwm-asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-manager.63227/post-626035

Sadly the scripts usefulness has been severely compromised by those few "pirates" who have unlawfully applied proprietary Asus and Trendmicro code [included within the firmware] to non-Asus routers.

I really wish there was a more "intelligent" way of obstructing those pirates - rather than what seems to me to be a sledgehammer solution by breaking the self-compilers ability to compile a fully comprehensive version of the firmware for use on appropriate Asus Routers!

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/amcfwm-asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-manager.63227/post-626033

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/amcfwm-asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-manager.63227/post-626035
Thanks for pointing it up. I was not aware self-compiled firmware did not have 100% of the functionality. If I understood correctly the images compiled by RMerlin do have all functionality enabled, correct?

The main reason I am complining my own firmware is to generate some drivers for the UPS to work and to add some more applets to busybox that I used with some custom scripts. I don't need to flash the self-compiled image. I can simply copy the drivers and a new version of busybox to /opt or /jffs and use it there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!