What's new

amtm amtm 4.5.2 - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, May 02, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i cannot find the ssd anymore must have given it to someone for their pc
i now ordered this usb 3.0 fast usb stick
Samsung 256 GB Bar Plus Titan Grey USB Drive 400MB/s
overkill but it was fairly cheap

i now also installed the disk check by using the command dc
it wasnt installed by default
Buy a new SSD. You won't regret it!

i can buy a fairly cheap ssd for the price the usb is it worth it ? shouldnt have to be big right 64gb orso
Absolutely! Memory used on USB stick is low quality and more prone to failure.

Absolutely! Memory used on USB stick is low quality and more prone to failure.
thx will cancel usb order and order cheap ssd

should be ok ? :D

Last edited:
thx will cancel usb order and order cheap ssd

should be ok ? :D
You will need USB case.

I have an odd problem when checking for updates in amtm. When checking with 'u' for updates the process always gets stuck at the Entware packages. The only way to get it to move along is by opening a browser tab on my desktop that links to the Entware packages page (https://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/Packages.html). As soon as the page loads amtm checks all the installed packages for updates and then completes the process. What could be the cause of this behavior?
You tell me. I have no answer to that. My fix is the automatic Entware server switching in amtm 4.2 as you probably already know. All domains are automatically added to the shared whitelist which Skynet also automatically includes. You run Diversion according to your signature so I have no idea what‘s holding it up. The internet is weird sometimes. I have an automatic update check for a program that times out when it runs. Running it again right after works immediately. Go figure, same symptom as yours.

As in previous versions, when AMTM 4.2 CLI starts up, the currently installed F/W version on the router is displayed near the top of the header (after the router model & "machine hardware" type info). However, this F/W version is not the "complete" string that contains the revision/patch number (i.e. "extendno" from NVRAM).

For example, the latest F/W release for the RT-AC86U router is "386.12_4" but AMTM shows the version as "386.12" which is only partially correct (and yes, it's a very minor cosmetic issue).

Here's a screenshot that shows this "incomplete" F/W version string:

RT-AC86U_AMTM_v4.2_Router_IncompleteFWversion.jpg

I propose that AMTM shows the full F/W version, either the long string "3004.386.12.4" or the short string "386.12_4" (either one would be fine, IMO).

Here are screenshots that show the "complete" F/W version strings from an RT-AC86U & an RT-AX86S.

RT-AC86U_AMTM_v4.2.1_Router_LongFWversion.jpg

RT-AX86S_AMTM_v4.2.1_Router_LongFWversion.jpg

I'll submit a GitHub PR for AMTM to address the "incomplete" F/W version situation described above (a very simple fix).

There's lots of conversations on which direction is best... I would shy away from flashdrives if I were you. SSDs+Enclosures are just as cheap... here's one example:

I got a Samsung 256GB SSD with this same enclosure (likewise, overkill)... but it's been working extremely well.

As in previous versions, when AMTM 4.2 CLI starts up, the currently installed F/W version on the router is displayed near the top of the header (after the router model & "machine hardware" type info). However, this F/W version is not the "complete" string that contains the revision/patch number (i.e. "extendno" from NVRAM).

For example, the latest F/W release for the RT-AC86U router is "386.12_4" but AMTM shows the version as "386.12" which is only partially correct (and yes, it's a very minor cosmetic issue).

Here's a screenshot that shows this "incomplete" F/W version string:

View attachment 55513

I propose that AMTM shows the full F/W version, either the long string "3004.386.12.4" or the short string "386.12_4" (either one would be fine, IMO).

Here are screenshots that show the "complete" F/W version strings from an RT-AC86U & an RT-AX86S.

View attachment 55514

View attachment 55515

I'll submit a GitHub PR for AMTM to address the "incomplete" F/W version situation described above (a very simple fix).
Choose your adventure and keep it simple, the current, extended and useless info version:
Code:
echo " $model ($(uname -m)) FW-$(nvram get buildno) @ $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)"
echo " $model ($(uname -m)) FW-$(nvram get buildno).$(nvram get extendno) @ $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)"
echo " $model ($(uname -m)) FW-$(nvram get firmver | sed 's/\.//g').$(nvram get buildno).$(nvram get extendno) @ $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)"
Looks like this on three routers close by:
84apcgzdmd4.png

w7pjc5axj67.png

j7kzc5velx7.png

I am not sure it matters. The u function will tell you about an update and the full (useful) version number.

I’ve been using the 64gb version now for some years (as USB3), just works, no issues.

I am not sure it matters. The u function will tell you about an update and the full (useful) version number.
Yes, this is just a cosmetic issue, and it does not affect the functionality or usability of the s/w at all. So I understand when you said, "I am not sure it matters." Plus, you're not getting paid to do this work so it has low priority.

In a commercial product where we have paying customers (and where we're getting paid for our work), this type of issue would normally be classified with the lowest severity level, but still a somewhat high priority to fix because it's displaying "incorrect" information to the user. In addition, keeping a good "perception" of the product quality and the "reputation" of the company behind it would also be part of the impetus to correct as many of the "little details" as possible. Usually, this kind of issue would be assigned to a junior developer as part of "dotting the I's and crossing the T's" in preparation for issuing a s/w release before it goes through a testing & validation cycle.

So yeah, I get it. We are both operating under a different set of s/w standards, release requirements & circumstances so we have different expectations.

o yeah, I get it. We are both operating under a different set of s/w standards, release requirements & circumstances so we have different expectations.
Just to be clear, I set myself high standards, I also have a job in the real world. It's just that the s/w team I work with for these free to use scripts is a one man show.
I have no customers and don't have to answer to a higher ups. I am the owner operator if you will.
My handle says it all, I prefer to work on my own as I am not a great collaborator and don't work well in a team. I am who I am. No offense.

However, I do have users like you that criticize and peruse the code or report shortcomings which I normally swiftly get after and have it done in a timely manner.
So, thanks for your input, it will make it into the next release.

Successfully updated nine (9) remote routers via VPN/ssh on phone, but I cannot update my local one due to ISP outage. Internet here went out at 00:44, apparently due to weather. Initial estimate to restore service was 03:00, changed to 5:00 at 02:36, changed to 07:30 at 5:04, and now (at 14:30) they're not even offering ETA (last update at 11:43). Thank you, once again, Spectrum in Upstate NY! (BTW, customer service rep offered to call me once service is restored!?! As if I won't be able to figure that out on my own... 🤔)

Thanks, @thelonelycoder, for your continued extermination services to kill even the smallest bugs.

(NOTE: ISP BACK ONLINE AT 14:47. I'M STILL WAITING FOR THAT CALLBACK TO LET ME KNOW THAT INTERNET HAS BEEN RESTORED! :rolleyes:)
I used to live near Jamestown. Bitter winters! Moved south. Well, 150 miles south.

Just to be clear, I set myself high standards, I also have a job in the real world. It's just that the s/w team I work with for these free to use scripts is a one man show.
I have no customers and don't have to answer to a higher ups. I am the owner operator if you will.
My handle says it all, I prefer to work on my own as I am not a great collaborator and don't work well in a team. I am who I am. No offense.

However, I do have users like you that criticize and peruse the code or report shortcomings which I normally swiftly get after and have it done in a timely manner.
So, thanks for your input, it will make it into the next release.

My post was not meant to imply that you don't have high standards. It's been clear that you do based on how quickly you tend to respond to reported issues and your thorough solutions.

I simply meant to express that I understood the different circumstances, standards & requirements under which we do our s/w development work, specifically as it relates to AMTM (which is free s/w for which you have sole ownership and where you can make your own rules) vs a commercial s/w product (which is what I do for a living) where we work in teams and have to follow specific standards, procedures & reqs. laid out by the company.

This difference does not mean that one is absolutely better than the other. They are just different ways of doing s/w dev. work, serving different goals & priorities, and targeting a different set of users.

You tell me. I have no answer to that. My fix is the automatic Entware server switching in amtm 4.2 as you probably already know. All domains are automatically added to the shared whitelist which Skynet also automatically includes. You run Diversion according to your signature so I have no idea what‘s holding it up. The internet is weird sometimes. I have an automatic update check for a program that times out when it runs. Running it again right after works immediately. Go figure, same symptom as yours.
Version 4.2 of AMTM seems to have fixed the issue. I do have a few countries blocked in Skynet which could have been the issue here.

My post was not meant to imply that you don't have high standards. It's been clear that you do based on how quickly you tend to respond to reported issues and your thorough solutions.

I simply meant to express that I understood the different circumstances, standards & requirements under which we do our s/w development work, specifically as it relates to AMTM (which is free s/w for which you have sole ownership and where you can make your own rules) vs a commercial s/w product (which is what I do for a living) where we work in teams and have to follow specific standards, procedures & reqs. laid out by the company.

This difference does not mean that one is absolutely better than the other. They are just different ways of doing s/w dev. work, serving different goals & priorities, and targeting a different set of users.
All settled, thanks for explaining.

Hi, I updated amtm to its latest version and it seems to have completely uninstalled Entware and all the software I had installed there. The files are all on the disk (usb ssd), and the disk seems to be working fine, fully accessible from the router and other network devices so I doubt it was an error from it. It happened after I installed amtm 4.2 and rebooted the router. Now amtm shows both Entware and a couple other programs (e.g. AdGuardHome) as available to install and they're of course not running.
Should I just reinstall Entware from amtm?

Edit: I checked the files inside jffs/addons/amtm and compared them with a backup I had taken 3 days ago, before I upgraded amtm. And it seems that the files AdGuardHome.mod and entware.mod are completely missing from the new installation directory. Should I just copy them back? I really can't afford setting up everything I had installed in Entware right now, so I'd prefer if things were restored, especially since everything in the entware directory is intact.

Last edited:
Hi, I updated amtm to its latest version and it seems to have completely uninstalled Entware and all the software I had installed there. The files are all on the disk (usb ssd), and the disk seems to be working fine, fully accessible from the router and other network devices so I doubt it was an error from it. It happened after I installed amtm 4.2 and rebooted the router. Now amtm shows both Entware and a couple other programs (e.g. AdGuardHome) as available to install and they're of course not running.
Should I just reinstall Entware from amtm?
I'm on it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!