What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah I just have mine set to "medium" and it runs all the time. It's six feet away from me on the desk and I don't hear it at all.
Probably the best route for me. One less switch to wear out and replace.

Run into problem, with installing scribe. It refuses install. Somehow it doesnt recognize that i am on current stable RT86U 384.19
So i went ahead and uninstalled every script. Once amtm was blank i started over but i guess i have to factory reset once Addons blink in Browser once and then vanishes or is there another way?

To uninstall everything and start over, fresh, I would do the following.
  • Save any files you deem worth saving (I save nothing because I will not restore anything at this point).
    • From both the USB drive used for amtm + Entware + scripts and the JFFS partition too.
    • Note that the JFFS partition contains any OpenVPN profiles you've configured, and possibly other important files too for features you use.
    • Again, since everything is so interrelated on the router, I don't save any of the above. Proceed accordingly.
  • Safely remove the USB drive (all of them) from the router.
  • Format the USB drive on a PC with the NTFS file format. Do not put it back into the router until mentioned in the step below.
  • Select the box to 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' and make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the GUI.
  • Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
  • After the router has rebooted the last time and it has had time to settle down and stabilize, insert the USB drive into the USB port.
At this point, you have a 'fresh' start to properly set up the USB drive's file format options and continue setting up amtm + Entware + swap file + scripts.

Remember that if you're following this thread's guide, beginning with RMerlin 384.15_0 and later, 'installing' amtm is not required.

To uninstall everything and start over, fresh, I would do the following.
  • Save any files you deem worth saving (I save nothing because I will not restore anything at this point).
    • From both the USB drive used for amtm + Entware + scripts and the JFFS partition too.
    • Note that the JFFS partition contains any OpenVPN profiles you've configured, and possibly other important files too for features you use.
    • Again, since everything is so interrelated on the router, I don't save any of the above. Proceed accordingly.
  • Safely remove the USB drive (all of them) from the router.
  • Format the USB drive on a PC with the NTFS file format. Do not put it back into the router until mentioned in the step below.
  • Select the box to 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' and make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the GUI.
  • Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
  • After the router has rebooted the last time and it has had time to settle down and stabilize, insert the USB drive into the USB port.
At this point, you have a 'fresh' start to properly set up the USB drive's file format options and continue setting up amtm + Entware + swap file + scripts.

Remember that if you're following this thread's guide, beginning with RMerlin 384.15_0 and later, 'installing' amtm is not required.
Ok will do, I'm only frankly interested in running a SWAP file, nothing much else really needed ATM. I just want to get rid of those log entries that you've never seen before ;)

unmounted the drive successfully and plugged it into my laptop and had to delete the volume and create a new one which formatted NTFS. Here is my 'cough' log :D

Code:
Jan 22 11:23:42 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_lookup:1592: inode #17432677: comm sqlite3: deleted inode referenced: 17433479
Jan 22 11:23:42 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_lookup:1592: inode #17432677: comm sqlite3: deleted inode referenced: 17433479
Jan 22 11:23:43 pixelserv-tls[2298]: 5923 uts, 1 log, 0 kcc, 2 kmx, 1.00 kvg, 1 krq, 2 req, 102 avg, 102 rmx, 0 tav, 0 tmx, 0 slh, 0 slm, 0 sle, 0 slc, 0 slu, 0 v13, 0 v12, 0 v10, 0 zrt, 0 uca, 0 ucb, 0 uce, 0 ush, 135 sct, 0 sch, 0 scm, 0 scp, 0 ssh, 0 ssm, 0 ssp, 0 nfe, 0 gif, 0 ico, 0 txt, 0 jpg, 0 png, 0 swf, 0 ufe, 2 opt, 0 pst, 0 hed, 0 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 0 bad, 0 cls, 0 cly, 0 clt, 0 err
Jan 22 11:23:44 wsdd2[26643]: Terminated received.
Jan 22 11:24:12 kernel: usb usb2-port2: cannot disable (err = -32)

Last edited:
I'm assuming you want to uncheck 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' after the first reboot?

also some may not know, I just remembered that this 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' is found under "Administration/System tab"

No, you need to check that box. We're blowing away anything in the JFFS that may thwart our efforts towards a fresh install.

No, you need to check that box. We're blowing away anything in the JFFS that may thwart our efforts towards a fresh install.
Ok I'll recheck it, you really should've made that distinction above though, thanks.

I did. 'Select' means 'check', correct? :) Lol...

I did. 'Select' means 'check', correct? :) Lol...
come on bro, you didn't say for all 3 reboots, gimme a break, not in the mood

I do see that it reverts back to unchecked upon reboot, so if you'd have said to "..be sure and recheck it.." post reboot because of this that may have helped. Anyway, I'll reboot an extra time or two to be sure

You're not following the directions as stated above.

You do not keep re-checking it. :oops:

I'm assuming you want to uncheck 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' after the first reboot?

also some may not know, I just remembered that this 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot' is found under "Administration/System tab"
I said that, not knowing that it reverts to unchecked following a reboot (never used this function previously), ffs. You just plain misunderstood, so then more properly you should have said as much, if in fact we don't recheck that before rebooting eh?

Excuse me, but your misunderstanding of what I wrote isn't something I've encountered before.

The steps I've suggested have worked well for many over the years for others. This isn't something to blame me for.

Excuse me, but your misunderstanding of what I wrote isn't something I've encountered before.

The steps I've suggested have worked well for many over the years for others. This isn't something to blame me for.
Listen, you need to chill, you just simply left out a few steps, i.e. assumed I knew, perhaps I should have known that that it reverts back upon reboot, I only asked if it needed to be checked for all 3 reboots, notice I said above "after the first reboot"?

I think L&LD is chill... and doing you a favor in helping you out. If something was lost in translation it wasn't because he wanted to lead you in the wrong direction intentionally.
Listen, you need to chill, you just simply left out a few steps, i.e. assumed I knew, perhaps I should have known that that it reverts back upon reboot, I only asked if it needed to be checked for all 3 reboots, notice I said above "after the first reboot"?

Perhaps you need to chill yourself

This is a step-by-step guide ...

Thanks for this guide. It helped me get my AC66U-B1 set up with a USB stick and YazVpnMgr. Now, after 2 days, Ive decided to replace the USB stick with a small (128Gb) SSD in a Ugreen enclosure. If I intend to keep everything setup the way it is, can I simply turn off the router, remove the USB stick, tell the router to format the JFFS on reboot, plug in the drive and reboot restart the process at amtm?(format,swap etc) And then reinstall the script(s)? Or am I missing some subtleties? Thanks in Advance.

@ex99125b, the post a few above ours here is what I would do to ensure no issues. :)

@L&LD

Hello good day. It is not necessary to install amtm if I have version 386_2; sure?

You would have to go straight to the step of installing "Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts."

@L&LD

Hello good day. It is not necessary to install amtm if I have version 386_2; sure?

You would have to go straight to the step of installing "Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts."
amtm is included in all Asuswrt-Merlin releases since version 384.15 and newer.
If in doubt, just enter “amtm” (without the quotes) into an SSH session on your router to find out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!