1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by thelonelycoder, Nov 26, 2017.

1. RAH-66

RAH-66 Regular Contributor

push - r (reset) and reinstall Disk check script, LED control...
    Diversion, Skynet and others remain operational

2. Torson

Torson Regular Contributor

The reset did not eliminate the duplication of the x3mRouting menu item...

3. RAH-66

exit AMTM and restart

4. Torson

Thank you for the good intentions!

The duplicate menu is still there.

5. RAH-66

reset helped me, I don’t know what to advise anymore

6. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Relax: The duplicate entries do no harm and remain until a certain script gets its next version released and I can get a proper fix out.

7. Torson

I just thought I missed something since the fix was out for the double menu item :).
    Otherwise, totally relaxed and whenever the fix will be out it'll be just another success story...

QuikSilver, L&LD and AntonK like this.
  8. nzwayne

nzwayne Regular Contributor

SShhhh...no bad thoughts!! :eek: USB drives not the most reliable, long lasting, electronic units on this planet. I've been using Patriot of late. Work with an engineering group, that ship hundreds per week to be used in challenging environments. Note to self; get RAS details from the group, as L&LD has seen a bad omen.

9. AntonK

AntonK Senior Member

This almost OCD fixation with USB drive performance is funny. Perhaps I'm missing something, and our routers with scripts really do produce enormous workloads on our USB sticks. My simple experience over 30 years of using PCs is that I've had only 1 USB stick outright fail on me. All the while, I've transferred literally gigabytes of data between USB sticks and computers without any noticeable issue.

Having said that, a recent upgraded SanDisk stick did allow me to use uiDivStats without overloading my router's CPU, a script that was not working for me until I used the new USB drive. Perhaps these scripts do pose unnatural stresses to our USB drives?

Anton

10. SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Very Senior Member

Here is what i am seeing
    Screenshot_20200629-224742103.jpg

11. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

I've pushed an amtm update, no version change

- FIXED the FIX: Double showing of x3mRouting in screens. Thanks all for reporting.

Note that when x3mRouting gets its update released and you have the current stable version x3mRouting v1.0.4 installed, the u screen will show no version number or show an error. Follow instructions given in the third party's thread of how to update.

Use u to update to this latest version.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    a5m, L&LD, QuikSilver and 5 others like this.
  12. CriticJay

CriticJay Senior Member

This "OCD" is *completely* justified, because I spent almost 5 days testing all of my (old) USB sticks for performance on Asuswrt Routers. Most were acquired between 2010 and 2014, except for a single USB 3.0 128GB Sandisk that I acquired in 2018.

Ultimately, only the new Sandisk performed well enough to handle uiDivStats without issue. I also confirmed these performance issues using the IOZONE benchmark tool; the WRITE speed on all the older USB 2.0 sticks was particularly horrible, only the new Sandisk had a half-decent write speed.

Honestly, your anecdotal experience doesn't count for much because you were probably using your USB sticks on Windows, and we don't know how the Linux kernels/USB drivers on these Asus routers is handling these USB sticks...

AntonK and Makaveli like this.
  13. JemTheWire

JemTheWire Senior Member

I completely agree. That is what I found too. Everything was working fine and dandy until I uiDivStats was updated to v2. That was the straw that broke the camels back in regards to my existing USB 3.0 stick read/write speeds.

Speed tests comparing my old and new USB sticks was like night and day. Even though the old stick was Kingston, which I thought was a ‘good’ make.

AntonK likes this.
  14. Makaveli

Makaveli Very Senior Member

This is why i dropped using USB sticks and now using a SSD for it which has much high quality memory.

Marin, cmkelley and AntonK like this.
  15. QuikSilver

QuikSilver Very Senior Member

I thought about this as well. How do you handle the wasted space on the SSD though? I'd imagine a 256 or smaller SSD but installing all those scripts and custom options you shouldn't need anywhere near that size. ??

AntonK likes this.
  16. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I don't accept underperforming tech devices. I have returned USB drives over the years within minutes of using them because their performance was that bad. I've seen many USB drives fail outright. Some, when moving 10 feet between two computers seconds apart.

At a certain, given level of performance/quality, a USB drive in USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 modes perform equally well for all the scripts I've tried on almost all supported RMerlin Asus routers. I've even tried an SSD too (Samsung T5 500GB model). The few seconds saved when updating scripts/Entware on the SSD were far outweighed by the extra cost and 'wasted' capacity though.

Again, this small delta I'm seeing between USB drives and even an SSD is because the quality of the USB drive(s) is at my expected performance levels in the first place. Buying a Walmart special USB drive 'on sale' is not anything I've ever done (and with no regrets). :)

With every new opportunity to use our routers more fully, there is also the need to make sure the ancillary equipment (like the USB drive used) is also up to par, if not state of the art. :)

A customer recently asked me to recommend a USB drive to them for use between their PC and Mac computers. I suggested a $30 Patriot Rage Supersonic Rage Elite (128GB) as the cheapest drive worth buying today. They instead went with a 64GB Patriot Boost drive and saved a couple of dollars. They told me they instantly regretted the purchase. While copying files off the USB drive was quick enough, it took almost 3 hours to copy 20GB from their MAC to the drive (and the PC was even slower). The Rage Elite I recommended would copy those 20GB in less than 5 minutes, easily (on almost any system usable today).

AntonK, QuikSilver and thelonelycoder like this.
  17. JemTheWire

JemTheWire Senior Member

Ha. Again, I completely agree. I got the very same Patriot Stick too. It's performance is outstanding.

Having said that, I bought the Kingston stick assuming that it would be good too. I have found in life that you really do get what you pay for. Kingston USB sticks have proved to be the exception!!

AntonK, QuikSilver and L&LD like this.
  18. Makaveli

Makaveli Very Senior Member

I have a spare from another build and just repurposed it for this. Unused space is something I don't think about at all the drive will last much longer then a usb stick and that is the main concern.

You can pick up a Kingston 120GB A400 for $28.98 USD or Crucial BX500 120GB for $20.99 on amazon which is a good price and set it and forget it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    L&LD, AntonK, QuikSilver and 2 others like this.
  19. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

Makaveli and QuikSilver like this.
  20. QuikSilver

QuikSilver Very Senior Member

Thanks, interesting read there and thoughts. I invested in a higher end USB stick to try. I have a 2.5 500gb ssd drive lying around that I planned to use for a build but never did. Never thought to use it due to size and power requirement thoughts. You both definitely gave me something to think about though.

L&LD and thecheapseats like this.