What's new

amtm upd err / using fallback server diversion.ch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lurkmaster

Occasional Visitor
Per the diversion.ch amtm page "upd err" means that "An error occurred while retrieving update info from the scripts original source." That is clear so I get that. I am wondering what/where the primary server for updates is (different hosts for different script authors files?) if diversion.ch is the fallback server, as seen in the err msg in the attached screenshots. I did search the forum and didn't come across anything relevant but maybe i just missed it.

I'm asking because I keep getting spurious errors from amtm on every execution of "u". Each time there are different failures "[: bad number" or "upd err." I have lots of these but only attached two here. The one thing consistent in all of them is the err msg: "! using fallback server diversion.ch".

Maybe I need to nuke and reset but everything is working beautifully other than this. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: placing this post in the AMTM thread instead. I probably mis-posted it here.

Attachments

• upd err.png
    upd err.png
    384.5 KB · Views: 294
  • fallback server.png
    fallback server.png
    373.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Per the diversion.ch amtm page "upd err" means that "An error occurred while retrieving update info from the scripts original source." That is clear so I get that. I am wondering what/where the primary server for updates is (different hosts for different script authors files?) if diversion.ch is the fallback server, as seen in the err msg in the attached screenshots. I did search the forum and didn't come across anything relevant but maybe i just missed it.

I'm asking because I keep getting spurious errors from amtm on every execution of "u". Each time there are different failures "[: bad number" or "upd err." I have lots of these but only attached two here. The one thing consistent in all of them is the err msg: "! using fallback server diversion.ch".

Maybe I need to nuke and reset but everything is working beautifully other than this. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The firmware amtm uses fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net for its own update check. fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net redirects to diversion.ch and is a built in if-all-else-fails solution so @RMerlin can host the amtm files on his server.
If the first try did not succeed, then the fallback server diversion.ch is used. Makes sense?

Anyway, the update errors you get in the two screenshots you posted are for third party scripts, with their own servers.
amtm only checks with my server for Diversion and amtm updates.
You seem to have a domain resolving or latency problem, try to find out why.
amtm has a built in timeout for updates and downloads.

Hmmm... must be something in my unbound config then. Thanks for the fast and informative response! I'll go see what I can find.

Hmmm... must be something in my unbound config then. Thanks for the fast and informative response! I'll go see what I can find.
The diversion.ch server is far from overloaded, I'm looking at the live log now. While traffic has increased considerably since the release of Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15, it is well within the physical usage bracket.

The firmware amtm uses fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net for its own update check. fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net redirects to diversion.ch and is a built in if-all-else-fails solution so @RMerlin can host the amtm files on his server.
If the first try did not succeed, then the fallback server diversion.ch is used. Makes sense?

Anyway, the update errors you get in the two screenshots you posted are for third party scripts, with their own servers.
amtm only checks with my server for Diversion and amtm updates.
You seem to have a domain resolving or latency problem, try to find out why.
amtm has a built in timeout for updates and downloads.

I am still investigating. Since I and @Lurkmaster we both use Unbound with DNSSEC and DoT enabled my take is that we need to update unbound.conf and add line

domain-insecure: fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.ne
domain-insecure: pool.ntp.org

This should fix the problem. I still need to test it with WAN: Use Local Cache set to NO.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!