What's new

Annoying ASUSWRT issue when dealing with non-standard devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris Etheridge

New Around Here
I have started playing around with Raspberry Pi's and development boards, and an issue keeps cropping up with my RT-AX88U. My ISP lately has been going through some upgrades and my internet connection has been going up and down from time to time. At times, when I wasn't sure if it was the router or the ISP, I would just pre-emptively reboot the router just in case.

One issue that seems to keep re-occurring and I don't know if it is related to the ups and downs or the reboots, is that over time, some wireless devices will just stop working. I have been having to reboot my Raspberry PI zero on a regular basis (weekly) because it will just disappear. Range is not the issue and the wifi adapter is not the issue either as I have tried multiple adapters with the same result, and have placed the zero close to the router. Additionally, I have a few esp8266 boards that will do something similar over time, which is just drop off the network and will not come back up until I reboot them. I am not necessarily blaming the router on these issues, but another strange issue will pop up during this time. I had one esp8266 board drop off, I rebooted it. Came back to my Windows PC and was able to ping it, log into the web interface and everything works. However, logging into my Raspberry PI, I can't ping it or log into the web interface from it. I tried pinging or connecting to it from my Android phone and nothing. I tried to SSH into the router and ping it, nothing. All devices are on the same subnet, same wireless, same everything. No network isolation has been enabled. Most all other devices will work just fine, except for one of my two Nest Thermostats. I have a split level house that requires two thermostats. One will randomly stop connecting while the other one continues to work. Reboot the thermostat and it doesn't come back up. Reboot the router and everything is fine for about a week. It is just so odd that it only happens to certain devices.

The first time this happened, I thought that maybe it was a corrupted arp cache, so I cleared the arp tables on everything, but that didn't fix it. I rebooted all devices except for the router, and that doesn't fix it. I reboot the router, and that fixes it. Rinse and repeat. It's almost like all linux devices won't talk to certain devices when they end up in this state, but Windows devices can. I also was able to fix the issue by changing ip addresses on devices, but it only temporarily fixes it as it will seem to happen again. I have checked the network for rouge devices as well. I tried adding reservations for nearly everything.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior?

Could it be occuring when the IP lease renews (default is weekly I believe)? I've had issues with a few devices and had to assign them static IPs directly on the device

You ae not the first to have issues with Nest thermostats. As for the Pi, something does not seem right. My Pi 3B+ is connected via Ethernet now but with the AC86U I had the Pi connected via WIFI and it stayed connected. Am currently using a Pi 4 as an extra desktop with various OSes but do not leave it running all the time. My Ecobee t'stat and a couple of old G IP cams are stable and do not disconnect. I have to admit that the router seems to be rebooted every couple of days to change firmware or try something else.
I loaded up the Merlin 386.2 this morning and it is doing well. Did have a crash yesterday on the beta 3 but could not prove what caused it.
These setting work best for me: 2.4 GHz @ CH 11 @ 20 MHz, 5 GHz @ ch 36 @ 20, 40, 80, 160 with 160 MHZ enabled, WPA2/WPA3-Personal, Aittime Fairness and Universal BeamFormaing disabled, Roaming Assistant enabled.

I also have an ax88u with XT8 Mesh network. I tried everything, but my problems with my ESP and tasmota devices were only partially solved compiling it with the 2.2.1 ESP SDK firmware. AT least now i don't have a lot of connection drops and ESP that i needed to manually reboot.

But... I still have problems, sometimes all my wifi devices connection just drops for like 60seconds and i still don't know why.

Also i run 2.4GHz locked to channel 6 and MCS7, no airtime fairness and no universal beamforming.

Why you are using roaming assistant @bbunge ? Don't you run a mesh network?

I also have an ax88u with XT8 Mesh network. I tried everything, but my problems with my ESP and tasmota devices were only partially solved compiling it with the 2.2.1 ESP SDK firmware. AT least now i don't have a lot of connection drops and ESP that i needed to manually reboot.

But... I still have problems, sometimes all my wifi devices connection just drops for like 60seconds and i still don't know why.

Also i run 2.4GHz locked to channel 6 and MCS7, no airtime fairness and no universal beamforming.

Why you are using roaming assistant @bbunge ? Don't you run a mesh network?
No regular mesh. I set up the old AC86U as mesh from time to time to test firmware. Roaming Assistant does not hurt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!