What's new

Antenna upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are already numerous threads in these forums discussing the pros and cons of replacement antennas.

I couldn't find it.

And did see if someone refers to how much RT88U original antennas have dBi.

Can you give me some links ?

I couldn't find it.

And did see if someone refers to how much RT88U original antennas have dBi.

Can you give me some links ?

Type “antenna” in the search box and it should bring up a good number of threads for review. You may want to review all of them as there may be stuff there that may be of interest to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Type “antenna” in the search box and it should bring up a good number of threads for review. You may want to review all of them as there may be stuff there that may be of interest to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, but I still didn't find anything about AC88U and his atennas like I asked here, and put in link. I know in general how it works and all that, but could this in link be real 12dBi or is it fake...

And how much original AC88U antennas have dBi I couldn't find anything on google or here.

According to the FCC documents the antenna gain is no more than 2.25dBi @ 2.4GHz and 3.37dBi @ 5GHz.

Wow thats way too low.

Is it worth upgrading to those 12dBi from up link, what do you think is it some kind of 12dBi hoax or is it for real ?

No, it's not 'too low'. :)

It is exactly what the rest of the hardware needs to reach maximum (regulated) power levels and do so in an omni-directional pattern.

Any antennae connected with higher gain than this will be a compromise in most directions to gain a little in two, much narrower directions. :)

Wow thats way too low.
Not at all. That's exactly what I'd expect from a wireless router.

Is it worth upgrading to those 12dBi from up link, ...
If you read the previous discussions about antenna gain you'd realise that by increasing the gain all you are doing is changing the shape of the radiation pattern. You're not magically creating "more power".

On my previous router AC55U I had 6 or 8dBi antennas, and never had any problems. They boost signal very nice comparing them to default antennas that came with it.

On my previous router AC55U I had 6 or 8dBi antennas, and never had any problems. They boost signal very nice comparing them to default antennas that came with it.

And obviously, a different RF design on that one. :)

Oh okay, I assume it was because this router have 4 antennas.

So what should I do ? I don't want any AP or anything like that to boost signal that little it's just pointless.

Oh okay, I assume it was because this router have 4 antennas.

So what should I do ? I don't want any AP or anything like that to boost signal that little it's just pointless.

The boost is a combination of the whole RF chain. Just because the antennae are rated 'low' for you doesn't make the device pointless.

And, the whole RF chain is limited by rules and regulations too. It simply works as best as it can, already. ;)

Even if in your use case you see a benefit by using 'better' antennae. :)

The boost is a combination of the whole RF chain. Just because the antennae are rated 'low' for you doesn't make the device pointless.

And, the whole RF chain is limited by rules and regulations too. It simply works as best as it can, already. ;)

Even if in your use case you see a benefit by using 'better' antennae. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

Is it worth upgrading to those 12dBi from up link, what do you think is it some kind of 12dBi hoax or is it for real ?

Cheap product with false claims, like many other "improvement" products on eBay coming from China. Save your money.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!