What's new

Any way to install Plex on an R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SunrisePro

Regular Contributor
Or is much better hardware needed to handle the transcoding? I find the R7000's built-in DLNA to be unreliable, even though the storage with the media is connected directly to it.

You need much better hardware to handle transcoding.

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I just found out the latest Nighthawk runs Plex, curious how well it does. Then again for $500, I can easily build a computer to run Plex instead.

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I just found out the latest Nighthawk runs Plex, curious how well it does. Then again for $500, I can easily build a computer to run Plex instead.

That new router has a special CPU which contains a video decoding engine.

Wath about R7800 Dual Core 1.7GHz Qualcomm IPQ8065 CPU and has a Qualcomm QCA9984 WiFi chip?
R9000 has a A15 4-core 1.7GHz Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-514 CPU.

Last edited:
Wath about R7800 Dual Core 1.7GHz Qualcomm IPQ8065 CPU and has a Qualcomm QCA9984 WiFi chip?
R9000 has a A15 4-core 1.7GHz Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-514 CPU.

Please re-read my last answer.

Yes i understand, CPU which contains a video decoding engine.
Why no one manufactures motherboards with sockels for CPUs that can be exchanged, just a thought i have?

Yes i understand, CPU which contains a video decoding engine.
Why no one manufactures motherboards with sockels for CPUs that can be exchanged, just a thought i have?

Because none of those CPUs are anything similar. Just like you can't get an AMD CPU and drop it into an Intel motherboard.

To answer OP: No. There isn't a way to install Plex yet on anything other than Nighthawk X10. I'm not sure, but maybe the Synology RT1900AC can install Plex. I highly doubt it though.

In my opinion, installing Plex media server on a router is a huge security risk/nightmare. A router should really just be a router and nothing more. Adding OpenVPN or Dynamic DNS service is one thing, but apps like Plex, cloud services, and download managers are a whole other thing that easily increase attack surface area especially since most router manufacturers take ages to update the firmware.

It would be nice to be able to add Plex to older Nighthawk routers (and more), but like RMerlin said, the video chipsets are very different. Secondly, why spend $500 on a router that wants to be a NAS? This is not directed to anyone on this thread. I'm just asking in general, because I think people would be better served if they bought a decent router for their routing needs and a NAS/PC for their server needs.

I just find that the PC, with the storage drive connected to the router, is not always reliable. Windows seems to 'forget' its access to the storage drive & it requires opening the drive in Windows Explorer to 'reconnect'.

What are the security issues with the Nighthawk X10 if we're not using Plex to access our media from the web (ie outside the house)?

What are the security issues with the Nighthawk X10 if we're not using Plex to access our media from the web (ie outside the house)?

Honestly, I wish I knew so I could file bug reports to Netgear.

It's true if you keep things locally and disable remote management, surface attack area is minimized. But you're still at risk. The main point of Plex is remote access of media and this is how most people will use it. If you want local media streaming, what's wrong with just a regular DLNA functionality that comes with most routers these days?

But even with local management, bugs and exploits will still be found. Netgear is pretty good about patching security bugs somewhat quickly, but it's not fast enough (in my opinion) to ever consider turning my router into a NAS/server.

All I know is that these days routers and IoT devices are commonly getting attacked from poorly written software, lack of firmware updates, and horrible security practices (e.g. hardcoded usernames and passwords). Many of these devices run some version of Linux and/or it's kernel and you don't have to look too far back to see some of the exploits that have been uncovered lately (e.g. DirtyCOW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_COW).

As the old saying goes, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Hope that kinda makes sense.

I've gone through several routers trying to find DLNA functions that worked well & consistently (ask my wife and watch the eyeroll...). There were always issues with file compatibility, connectivity issues, etc. Even with my current router if I use its DLNA it won't play more than 15-20 minutes of a movie without crapping out - and this is with the storage connected to the router and the TV wired to the router via ethernet. DLNA has always been a crapshoot.

So far Plex has been the best solution, even with the small issues that crop up. Plus its' interface is kid friendly and usable on all of our devices at home (including mobile). In that respect, Plex totally kicks butt and is a huge leap forward from built in DLNA. I just kinda wish that the server wasn't residing on our one desktop, where the connection to the shared drive messes up periodically (on another note, my Surface can no longer access the shared drive but I suspect that's a Windows issue).