What's new

Any Way to Tell if Wireless b\g\n is used?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not really possible to offer much more advice than has already been given because you haven't provided any specific data. Saying it's "slow" or "not good" is not meaningful for us. If you could do some speed tests, show us the results, show us the link rates, name the devices, etc. we might have a clue. The only real suggestion so far that might help in the absence of such data is that to switch to N-only mode which you seem reluctant to do.

I see that setting but I thought the suggestion to use the phone app was because it would show the connection mode. That's what I do not see.

As for the data, I have all sorts of devices that have used the 2.4G network. Since its been so slow, I have been migrating the more important ones over to 5G. I have several amazon echo devices, ring doorbell, tablets, phones, laptops, watches, etc.

I just ran a test. I am running my Microsoft SurfaceBook. I am sitting in the same office as my router, so about 6 feet away. On 5G, my download was about 250Mbps. On 2G it download was at about 20Mbps. There are about 8 devices connected to the 2.4G network right now....RingPro, Amazon Echo's, Android phone, Apple Watch. That's about it right now.

I just ran a test. I am running my Microsoft SurfaceBook. I am sitting in the same office as my router, so about 6 feet away. On 5G, my download was about 250Mbps. On 2G it download was at about 20Mbps. There are about 8 devices connected to the 2.4G network right now....RingPro, Amazon Echo's, Android phone, Apple Watch. That's about it right now.
If we had a screen shot of the router's Wireless Log page whilst the speedtest was downloading data that would help. You can also check the router's realtime Traffic Monitor graphs just to make sure some rogue device isn't consuming all your bandwidth.

I recently upgraded my internet to 1000mbps service so I started looking at speeds. When I did that, I noticed some very slow tests and began to troubleshoot
What speeds do you consider "slow"? Surely you're not expecting to see 1000 Mbps over 2.4 GHz? :)

Going back to your original question you could try setting to "N only". If speeds improve then you can work that side of the issue. If they don't then you've another side of the issue to work.

What speeds do you consider "slow"? Surely you're not expecting to see 1000 Mbps over 2.4 GHz? :)

Going back to your original question you could try setting to "N only". If speeds improve then you can work that side of the issue. If they don't then you've another side of the issue to work.

Of course I do not expect 1000 on wifi. I also do not expect 10Mbps. That's the problem. I'd like to know why my 2G wifi ranges from 10Mbps - 40Mbps. Even 40 is too slow imo. 5G is many times faster. I want to have performance be as high as possible, so I am trying to not crowd the 5G frequency and make it slower. That's why I'd like to get 2.4G fixed or faster so I can leave devices on it.

Like I said, I had 9 devices attached to the 2.4G when I did that download speed test yesterday. None of them were doing anything out of the normal or were being used by anyone. They were in their normal "idle" state.

Like I said, I had 9 devices attached to the 2.4G when I did that download speed test yesterday
<lol> sorry about that, I missed that little update.

Let's put a stake in the ground, I'm going to say 50 to 75 Mbps for "N" over 2.4 GHz is reasonable to typical depending on distance. "G" devices will be slower and "B" devices significantly slower. These old devices can slow down new devices some, just being there will slow them down some but I don't know by how much. (Now the really smart guys will give you what you can actually expect : -)

(Just for grins I placed my old [old as in it's not even AC] laptop about 15 ' from my router and ran Internet speed tests. My Internet service is only 100 Mbps so my testing is limited. I ran N over 2.4 GHz and achieved 80 Mbps. I then ran N over 5 GHz and achieved 118 Mbps.)​

I know you said you played with channel settings but load up one of those free WiFi analyzers. It will tell you what channels your neighbors are using. From that you can determine the best channel or ... you may find there just ain't any good options.

I still like your idea of trying "N only" You don't have to leave it that way, you just want to know if it makes a difference ... to start with. (That setting should dump any "B" devices that might be holding you back.)

You could also try shutting off the furthest (from the router) devices. They could be pulling your speeds down. (Again, not forever, just to test.) Or, turn them all off and turn them on one by one until things start getting crappy. (Just one naughty device can impact everyone.)

Also, do take a look at your traffic monitor for 2.4 GHz. If other devices (e.g., cameras) are generating a lot of traffic then you're going to be limited to just your fair share.

Last edited:
1. Switch to "N only" mode and see if that improves your speeds. Why do you keep refusing to do this?
2. Provide a screen shot of your Wireless Log page.
3. For a single-stream device the maximum link rate on 2.4GHz is likely to be 72Mbps compared to 433Mbps on 5GHz. Actual throughput is probably half that. So 10Mbps does sound too slow but 40Mbps perhaps not. Again, providing the screen shot above will help understand what is going on.

I just ran some tests....

When I connect to the 2.4G I ran 3 tests, with results of 42Mbps, 39, Mbps, 39Mbps. I then changed the mode on the router to N-Only. I re-ran those 3 tests and got: 57Mbps, 40Mbps, 40Mbps. So other than that 1 test, its basically the same.

Over a week ago, I used the Site Survey on my router to check the nearby networks. On both 2.4G and 5G, I hard-coded a channel that was not in-use. I do have other routers in my house that I had used for signal, but they are older and they are also hard-coded on their own channels.

Maybe the 2.4G network is ok and people are just noticing slowness. I don't know.

Is there any kind of metric or guidance for the number of devices on a frequency? I am asking because my 5G is much better and I would happily use it, but I do not want to move devices to it only to see it slow down. I know you can also add more wifi networks in the firmware, but I am assuming that will not make a difference since its the same hardware.

I hard-coded a channel that was not in-use
Channels have overlap such that channel 2 will interfere with channel 3 and even 4. Many recommend a spacing such as channel 1, 6 and 11 as not interfering with each other.
I do have other routers in my house that I had used for signal, but they are older and they are also hard-coded on their own channels.
You're confusing me (an easy thing to do). You have other routers? And they're not interfering with each other?
42Mbps, 39, Mbps, 39Mbps
Doesn't sound horrible. What was that 10 Mbps you complained about in an earlier post?
Is there any kind of metric or guidance for the number of devices on a frequency?
You could have dozens of devices if they're not doing anything : -) Or you could max out with just a few devices if they are all busy say 4K streaming, etc.
I know you can also add more wifi networks in the firmware
Huh? If you mean adding more SSIDs (WiFi names) it won't help because they share/use the same bands.
Maybe the 2.4G network is ok and people are just noticing slowness
What are they doing such that they notice the "slowness"?
5G is much better and I would happily use it, but I do not want to move devices to it only to see it slow down
5G has like triple the bandwidth. Probably worth the risk, could try moving a few nearby devices to it?

I think of 2.4 GHz as "further" and 5 GHz as "faster" and sometimes I simply put my nearby devices on "faster" and the others on "further". Sometimes I'll create a SSID that uses both radios and let the devices and router figure it out. If something's out of whack then I'll force them to "faster" or "further" as needed. Like when my upstairs TV kept dropping I forced it over to "further".

Study your traffic monitor. Is there high utilization when they complain of slowness? Might be a job for QoS?

Last edited: