What's new

Replace ASUS Equipment by TP Link

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChaoscripT

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
Currently I have pair of ASUS XT12 and need to add 1 more router for my room.
On the pair I installed Merlin firmware that works with NextDNS.

I found some TP Link Deco X50 POE (second hand), and I wonder maybe to change gear to TP Link, buy 2 Deco X50 POE and 1 more router.
I love this POE because they have 2 ports (yes I know that one is 2.5 gbps and one is 1 gbps) while most of the access points out there have just one port to get internet and transmission WIFI.
I need the 2 ports because internet will go in and go out to switch.

I know that ASUS firmware is better and with less problems then tp link, and I also know that tp link lack of parental control (I don't use it also in ASUS).
What do you think?
I try to find myself adventures?

Regards.

What do you think?

Your previous thread wasn't enough?

I told you what I think there, but you didn't listen.

If you have time and inclination - have fun, find youself adventures ;)

Thanks Peter for the comment.

Your previous thread wasn't enough?

I told you what I think there, but you didn't listen.

The ASUS XT12 is bought second hand and not new.
Yes today I understand that, I will go with 2x2 and 1800 Mbps, it's ok.
But I have 2 problems,
1. The optical fiber comes in to Nokia machine (from the ISP company) then from the Nokia is there ethernet that should connect to some router, I need in the router 2 ports, WAN (from the Nokia) and LAN to go to switch then from there to rest of house.
2. If I buy new gear, it's very expensive, I prefer not go with high expenses. (It's not your problem, it's my problem that here in Israel everything is expensive)

The ASUS is very good, it's make the work, but I love adventures :) and cost effective solutions.

Regards.

Don't know where you live and therefore how much of the XT12s is actually available to you, and acknowledging the somewhat lacking ports they have, but I can tell you that a pair of those would suit me entirely fine. I have perhaps as much invested in what I'm running, and certainly can get equivalent performance, but it maybe would've been nice to just go with a pair of XT12s. Just sayin'...

On top of that, don't you need a Tplink account to administer the Decos? No way I'd do that if optional most-any-way else.

Don't know where you live and therefore how much of the XT12s is actually available to you, and acknowledging the somewhat lacking ports they have, but I can tell you that a pair of those would suit me entirely fine. I have perhaps as much invested in what I'm running, and certainly can get equivalent performance, but it maybe would've been nice to just go with a pair of XT12s. Just sayin'...

On top of that, don't you need a Tplink account to administer the Decos? No way I'd do that if optional most-any-way else.

Thanks for reply,
I currently have Pair of ASUS XT12, I use them, they good.

About the TP Link Account, it's not bother me.

If you are using a VPN, ie surfshark, Nordvpn, don't use tp devices. Has problems using VPN.

Thanks for reply,
Currently don't using any VPN, but from time to time can use, good to know.

Regards.

If you are using a VPN, ie surfshark, Nordvpn, don't use tp devices. Has problems using VPN.
Can you elaborate on this? It seems unlikely to me that this is a global problem...

I am always surprised by the coverage people don't get here . I live in a 2 floor plus basement house and I get full coverage using 1 router up until 3 years ago an AC 3200 covered the house 5500 sft brick with concrete basement , now using an AXE-1100 in that house with no problems , Guess I'm just lucky . Router and client placement makes a big difference

I am always surprised by the coverage people don't get here

Where is "here"? Different building materials, different RF regulations. Houses in the US are mostly match sticks and drywall; routers are allowed to have up to 1000mW transmit power. Houses in the UK are mostly concrete, brick and stone; routers are allowed to have up to 200mW transmit power. Houses in Israel (where @ChaoscripT lives) are not only reinforced concrete and bricks, but also have bomb shelter rooms with steel plates on doors and eventual windows. Still surprised Wi-Fi coverage is different?

Guess I'm just lucky
Yep, Canada...
So...
2.4GHz-Unlicensed-Spectrum-small.png
5GHz-Unlicensed-Spectrum-small.png
ETSI-EU-Proposed-6GHz-Spectrum-small.png

Yep, Canada...

We have up to 200mW here on 36-48 (like in EU), but available and up to 1000mW 149-161 (like in US). We also have matchstick and drywall houses. 🥴

Well, here in Europe we live mainly in concrete, often reinforced with steel...

I know. I own two properties in EU. Reinforced concrete columns and slabs with bricks or aerated concrete walls. Completely different Wi-Fi planning.

We also have matchstick and drywall houses.
Best way to build a house when there's millions of acres of pine forest. Oh, wait, not anymore in Canada after last summer. Quarry operations for home building ought to be booming there now...

The only thing booming here right now is inflation and taxes.