What's new

Asus 1900P (Best Buy) or 68U - Which One is Better?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

I see that most people recommend the Asus AC1900P (Best Buy exclusive) over the AC68U???

But checking the Router Rankings, the 68U is ranked higher than the AC1900P.

Am I missing something here??? Does the 68U have better wireless performance of the two?

I see that most people recommend the Asus AC1900P (Best Buy exclusive) over the AC68U???

But checking the Router Rankings, the 68U is ranked higher than the AC1900P.

Am I missing something here??? Does the 68U have better wireless performance of the two?

I don't think the rt-ac1900p is in that list. I think you are seeing the rt-ac68p.

I don't think the rt-ac1900p is in that list. I think you are seeing the rt-ac68p.

Asus is killing me with these names. So the 68P is different from the 1900P which is different from the 68R which is different from the 68U - yet they are all class AC1900 routers that look exactly the same.

Is there any wireless improvement with the 1900P w/ Merlin's firmware vs the 68U w/ Merlin's firmware or are they both pretty much the same?

wifi wise they are all the same with 1300M on 5 gig and 600M on 2.4 gig and will have about the same coverage , the models differ in the speed of the cpu used

I recently took back the 68U that I purchased and picked up the 1900P from Best Buy. I hope I made the right choice here.

Currently running Stock firmware but might go to Merlin's fw but I'm not sure if I'll see any wireless range and performance improvements with Merlin's compared to stock Asus.

What advantages does Merlin's fw have over stock?

not sure if I'll see any wireless range and performance improvements with Merlin's compared to stock Asus.

they will be exactly the same as the transmission power and regulations do not allow for changes or increase in wifi

What advantages does Merlin's fw have over stock?

it just improves on the already good firmware asus have and he adds some nice tecky features on top

The RT-AC1900 is another hardware variant of the RT-AC68 series. It seems to be an exclusive Best Buy model, like the RT-AC68P.
The RT-AC68 series went through some hardware modifications in the A1, A2, B1 and C1 versions, and it seems to end up now in the RT-AC1900 model. Differences are USB 3.0 shielding, different chip models for the wireless radios and the CPU.
Strange thing is here in Europe the only model available seems to be the A2 variant.
I recently bought my RT-AC68U, wich was an A2 variant, manufactured in China in 2016.
I don't think the hardware variants will show significant differences in performance, finally the RT-AC68 series demonstrated to be a stable platform with excellent basic 802.11ac support.
Sofar the "only" feature it does not support is MU-MIMO.
One really need to consider how future proof you want to be against what price.

The RT-AC1900 is another hardware variant of the RT-AC68 series. It seems to be an exclusive Best Buy model, like the RT-AC68P.
The RT-AC68 series went through some hardware modifications in the A1, A2, B1 and C1 versions, and it seems to end up now in the RT-AC1900 model. Differences are USB 3.0 shielding, different chip models for the wireless radios and the CPU.
Strange thing is here in Europe the only model available seems to be the A2 variant.
I recently bought my RT-AC68U, wich was an A2 variant, manufactured in China in 2016.
I don't think the hardware variants will show significant differences in performance, finally the RT-AC68 series demonstrated to be a stable platform with excellent basic 802.11ac support.
Sofar the "only" feature it does not support is MU-MIMO.
One really need to consider how future proof you want to be against what price.

I think you mean the RT-AC1900P is the latest exclusive Best Buy model to date. The RT-AC1900 (without the "P") seems to be a separate model in the AC1900 space.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!