What's new

Asus AIMESH combo recommandation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

you will have to test in on your own and your special situation, there is not the one answer!
BTW some even use Merlin on main router (SSH to enable Aimesh-support) and mesh-nodes on stock firmware without any problems, if it works for you you will get best of both worlds.

Interesting, thx !
Is there any documentation about settings to use Aimesh with Merlin installed on main router ?
I heard that a dedicated Aimesh stock firmware must be installed on both nodes.

Same SSID & passphrase for main routeur and AP/AImesh node needs a fine tuning on roaming assitant. Many people experiences issues when having same SSID, example:

I set a single SSID per network (5 & 2.4 separately)... Roaming SUCKS (aka, doesnt happen)!

5 & 2.4 on different SSIDs, across 3 ASUS Routers all with Roaming Assistant set to -60 ... and it simply doesnt work.
The client (Samsung S8) stays on the first router no matter what unless I turn on/off wifi on the phone.

This confirms in my mind the Wifi chipset developers and the IEEE org sucks for not making this work after many years of having the way to do this with BSSID.

This has been common for 2 days... I'm currently connected to a signal that is -80dBm / 65mbit instead of it connecting to the router 30' direct line of sight (no walls) which has -65dBm / 526mbit to my location; or the 2.4 radio that gives me -40dBm / 144mbit

I'll need to go back to different SSIDs per AP and use the 3rd party Android apps that help it roam. Arg.

Last edited:
you can read everything here pro and contra, you have to find best config yourself!
Aimesh will be easiest way if you find it working well.
yes nodes would need stock firmware to set them to Aimesh-node mode. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-wireless-info-merlin-and-aimesh.47145/#post-411049
Main router with Merlin and then enable Aimesh with 3 simple SSH commands (https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/enable-aimesh-on-asuswrt-merlin-rmerlin/).
No, there wont be a documentation as Merlin says not officially supported by him, but prooved by some users running well.