What's new

Asus AIMESH combo recommandation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sébastien GEOFFROY

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I own a RT-88U (2 bands / 3200 mbps) working perfectly.
I'd like to add an other router at first floor using AImesh (wire link between both) for my Wifi extension.
Sons at first floor will use 5 Ghz to play with their Sony PS4.

Which other Asus router you recommend me to buy ?

Other RT-88U ?
Blue Cave ?
RT-AC86U ?
Other ?

I suppose I will keep my RT-88U as Aimesh main router so I ve to find the Aimesh node to match with it.

Thanks for your help.

If you've got a wired connection to the other location I'd just add an AP and use any ASUS AC router you can get for a bargain. IMO AiMesh buys you nothing with a wired backhaul and forces you to use the same channels on all routers.

If you've got a wired connection to the other location I'd just add an AP and use any ASUS AC router you can get for a bargain. IMO AiMesh buys you nothing with a wired backhaul and forces you to use the same channels on all routers.

What are the differences between AP and Aimesh for my use ?
I suppose both share SSIDs so I'll still get 2 SSID (2.4 / 5 GHz). I'm right ?

I want the best possible setting for Wifi coverage and latency/speed/bandwidth at 1st floor.
My sons will use it for game (PS4) and Android TV.

2.4 GHz : smartphone, ipad, workstation, printer
5 Ghz : game (PS4 + PC) / android TV (kodi/netflix/..)

Looks like in AP there is a problem with DHCP. I currently use my main router (AC-88U) to assign IP for all my home devices.

You get MORE control over the AP node than the AiMesh node and I know of no DHCP issues using AP nodes. And yes, I assign ALL my SSIDs on ALL my nodes the same. I've used them for years.

There are many "reviews" and commentary comparing the two modes in this forum and on the net.

My suggestion of using an AP node works best for ME. YMMV.

What are the differences between AP and Aimesh for my use ?
I suppose both share SSIDs so I'll still get 2 SSID (2.4 / 5 GHz). I'm right ?

I want the best possible setting for Wifi coverage and latency/speed/bandwidth at 1st floor.
My sons will use it for game (PS4) and Android TV.

2.4 GHz : smartphone, ipad, workstation, printer
5 Ghz : game (PS4 + PC) / android TV (kodi/netflix/..)

Looks like in AP there is a problem with DHCP. I currently use my main router (AC-88U) to assign IP for all my home devices.

More pôwerful ? Regarding "paper", 88U looks better (wifi, bandwidth, hardware, ..).

No, the RT-AC88U is an older generation, lower quality hardware vs. the much newer RT-AC86U. The RT-AC3100 is the RT-AC88U's equivalent, with 4 less LAN ports. Both are older, weaker and surpassed by the RT-AC86U, particularly with 1Gbps symmetrical up/down ISP connections.

With an external 4th antennae (it does have an internal one), it would be even better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers

More pôwerful ? Regarding "paper", 88U looks better (wifi, bandwidth, hardware, ..).
Maybe your mixing up 68U and 86U?

dont rely on max wifi values you cant achieve in real world. Thats all fantastic marketing values saying less than nothing.
Your WAN port is limited to 1Gb (=1000mbps).
Is a car better if it says max speed 200mph and another even 210mph?
And the first car can get its "lower" max-speed in 10s while the other needs to go downhill and 60s.

Last edited:
Sidebar question:
Can I add a switch to port one of my main router and connect wired nodes to the switch?

I’m adding a fourth node but still want to use the ports on the main router for other devices.
I prefer my nodes be wired as I’ve already done the work to cable the house.
Thanks for any advice.

Sidebar question:
Can I add a switch to port one of my main router and connect wired nodes to the switch?

I’m adding a fourth node but still want to use the ports on the main router for other devices.
I prefer my nodes be wired as I’ve already done the work to cable the house.
Thanks for any advice.

Yes. Note that the node connection type Auto may not automatically detect Ethernet with some switches (per ASUS). In that case, set it to Ethernet.

OE

So why 88U is 3200 mbps ans 86U is 2900 mbps ?

Only three 2.4 GHz streams, which is not an issue since almost no client supports 4 2.4 GHz streams (and the much faster 5 GHz is used by anyone in need of performance anyway).