What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

386.7_2 has held stable on my previously-impacted AX-68U, @MotR . I would give it a shot.
I have no issue trying 386.7_2.

But my question to L&LD was about his 35 customers with the AX68. I was interested if they had the 5 ghz issue from this thread before 386.7. And if not to find out what is different with his configuration. For me that is not wasting time as Tech9 suggested.

But my question to L&LD was about his 35 customers with the AX68. I was interested if they had the 5 ghz issue from this thread before 386.7. And if not to find out what is different with his configuration. For me that is not wasting time as Tech9 suggested.

I get it. I spoke up because 1) I was similarly impacted 2) was on the olllllld stock FW for a while, as a result, and 3) 387.2 works now.

Welcome to the forums @Bazingaa.

I don't have an RT-AX68U, but many of my customers do. There are no issues reported with 386.7_2 that I have had to respond to (over 35 upgrades from 386.5_2, 386.7, and a few from the beta/alphas). Most of these are 'dirty' upgrades too.

If your network is not stable after flashing 386.7_2, then I would suggest a full reset to factory defaults (using as many methods as possible), with not reusing any amtm USB drives and testing at least with a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not take anything for granted, if in doubt, don't enable/disable that option/feature. Furthermore, note that toggling features and options on/off is different from leaving them as-is after a full reset. This may be one reason your router/network isn't stable anymore past the firmware you're using.

HTH.

Hi again L&LD and the rest,

In the end also 386.7_0 and even the latest official firmware from Asus started acting up with DNS like issues.
I made a back-up and resetted the AX68U on the official FW, then upgraded to 386.7_2 again and uploaded my config again, and now its running perfectly for 1,5 days.

So thanks for your advice, I'm back online. :D

Because AX68U 5GHz issues are mentioned in many reviews all over Internet and you'll be only served examples with no value to you. I did ask here what company in my country and in the same city I deal with IT business partners installs home routers with custom firmware as a business and all my questions were avoided. So don't waste your time and just replace this AX68U with AX86S or better, depending on your budget. Or wait for 388 Asuswrt code base firmware and see if the issues are resolved. I believe not every AX68U is affected, but some are and the only guaranteed solution is hardware replacement.

I did a dirty upgrade from 386.7_0 to 386.7_2 on Sunday and my router has been 100%.

I also turned off explicit beamforming about a week ago and that fixed the minor issue I was having on my one 2.4 GHz device that's on my network.

Thank you Merlin!

Got some similar issue on my Asus router (previously RT-AC68U, not switched to RT-AX86S)
Observed issue:
- repeated disconnections on laptop
- no or slow loading of pictures (only) on Twitter and Instagram app on my cell (S22+)
- poor wifi stability on 5GHz
- I decided to change for RT-AX86S due to very good price on it to get rid of this annoying behaviour (I thought it is Router related)
- I was able to get rid of these issue only when I connected through openVPN (even on the same wifi) - the full connection on my cell was restored

Steps:
- I followed all possible recommnedation and tried to search for any hint(mainly before on RT-AC68U. No resolving - I was able to somehow stabilize it.
- now for 1 week maintaining RT-AX86S - actually immediatelly after flash of latest Merlin and router setting - exactly same behaviour as on old router - It is firmware related
-
I again followed all recommnedation (as in this thread for example) (complete fresh install to stock (looked good, I didn't change any setting like IPV6), then fresh to 386_7 (completely custom seeting - IPV6, oVPN, no change to wifi default --> bad connection) and after a day to 386_7_2 (no change until - What seems to be promisable for me - I disabled IPV6 today and hooray - all connection issue seems to be gone. )
- IPV6 has support from my provider and appears as enabled to outside networ, at least to my low knowledge you are not able to set upIPV6 for external and keep IPV4 for internal traffic

What about others IPV6 setting, do you use it?

Last edited:
I was having the same issue but I am on Merlin. As I understand, the WIFI is the same on both. My issue started after I updated the firmware. I used a ‘Dirty’ install. I went to an older level of firmware and all is fine now. May have been able to fix it with settings or ‘clean’ install but did not want to disrupt my network testing things.

I have updated both my RT-AX68Us two merlin 386.7_2 as well as my RT-AX86U earlier today. So far so good but will report back on its stability in a few days. However Wi-Fi performance is still lower than what I used to get with stock Asus firmware.

Asus still haven't updated RT-AX68U firmware since June but have been pushing out updates for the AX86U. I guess that makes sense, since its a much more popular router and I think the AX68U is EOL. It seems to be out stock of everywhere for quite some time. I hope this doesn't mean they'll abandon support for it so soon.

Just dropped by to say my AC86U just dropped 5Ghz again, running 386.7_2. I can get it back my going to Network Map -> System Status -> Wireless, and pressing Apply. Very annoying though.

This issue is so frustrating. I have a few AX68U routers in a AiMesh setup using the recent 2022 firmware versions and I kept getting the 5Ghz disconnect on one of the nodes almost daily. I had to unplug/re-plug the main router and the node in question to resolve the issue.

I got so fed up that I reverted back to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42808 from May 2021 and it seems to have helped. Still get the occasional 5GHz disconnect but maybe once every 2-3 weeks now.

What is going on Asus? I had a AiMesh setup using the older AC66U B1 routers prior and they were rock solid. Never had to touch them for anything. Now this... I really regret upgrading.

Last edited:
Reactions: OPR
I was thinking about a couple of AX68U for nodes in a (wireless backhaul) mesh with AX86U as the base ... but after perusing this thread am thinking they are best avoided altogether.

Would the AX58U be the next best thing at a reasonable price?

Or are they also likely to suffer this annoying 5GHz dropout phenomenon?

If using 1xAX86U + 2xAX58U, is the best recommendation then to have Merlin latest on the base and latest stock FW on the nodes?

If using 1xAX86U + 2xAX58U, is the best recommendation then to have Merlin latest on the base and latest stock FW on the nodes?

The best recommendation is to have a really big house and space them far apart to avoid being your own interference.

Read the Asuswrt-Merlin documentation about AiMesh use: AiMesh · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub

OE

In Asuswrt-Merlin 386 code (AiMesh 2.0) the procedure doesn't work as described by Asus. Wireless node discovery has issues in Asuswrt-Merlin and this document must be updated. Since AiMesh is closed source, the issue can't be diagnosed nor fixed. There are multiple threads with workaround options.

I suspect all of this is still in the wait-and-see discovery stage... too early to be updating documentation with exceptions for bugs. As I see it, that's the deal with third-party firmware.

I say let the user get it installed as intended in the first place... then consider any subsequent issues... they can help discover or not discover the issue with their equipment, which may not be the same as for others/you.

OE

Last edited:
too early to be updating documentation

An entire code base 386 too early... 388 is coming. But let the user try, no problem with that. I say save your time and use wired node discovery instead, if the main router is running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

An entire code base 386 too early... 388 is coming. But let the user try, no problem with that. I say save your time and use wired node discovery instead, if the main router is running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I can't say... I have no experience with using Asuswrt-Merlin. Maybe 388 will fix the node discovery issue in the coming days... and the documentation lapse.

OE

I can't predict the future. I know what does or doesn't work with available firmware only.

I can't predict the future. I know what does or doesn't work with available firmware only.

You seem to want to chastise me for somehow failing to advise the OP on what you claim to know about installing firmware I do not use. So again, I suggest you just share your on-topic advice and leave the rest of us out of it.

OE

You seem to want to chastise me

No, just saying the link you posted doesn't contain updated information for current 386 branch. If you want to verify yourself, install Asuswrt-Merlin on your AX86U router and try to add your AC86U as wireless node the way Asus describes the process. This way you'll know what I'm saying. There is nothing personal here. I did quote your post just because you posted the link. I would do the same, if someone else posted it.

No, just saying the link you posted doesn't contain updated information for current 386 branch.

Which I responded to... end of story... preceding your subsequent posts belaboring your point to me.

If you want to verify yourself, install Asuswrt-Merlin on your AX86U router and try to add your AC86U as wireless node the way Asus describes the process. This way you'll know what I'm saying.

No need to play with firmware I do not use... I heard and accepted what you are saying weeks ago and have shared it where I believed it to be relevant to the issue being discussed.

There is nothing personal here. I did quote your post just because you posted the link. I would do the same, if someone else posted it.

Then stop repeating yourself to me in particular. Once was enough for all readers. Nobody cares that you can't predict the future... a universal and unremarkable trait.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!