What's new

Asus AX86U ping very high

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which means most likely asus has picked it to be the optimum setting.

I've seen ISP profiles during initial setup, but I have to reset the router to get there and see if this ISP is listed. What's weird is I'm getting "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" set to Yes the moment I switch WAN Connection Type to PPPoE. Default settings on AC86U (the one I have running now):

1665432792276.png

1665432938144.png

Stock Asuswrt 386_48260 firmware.

I've seen ISP profiles during initial setup, but I have to reset the router to get there and see if this ISP is listed. What's weird is I'm getting "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" set to Yes the moment I switch WAN Connection Type to PPPoE. Default settings on AC86U (the one I have running now):

View attachment 44744

View attachment 44748

Stock Asuswrt 386_48260 firmware.
I figured those were the defaults.

So what to set now guys or should I remain? cause I don't get any clue what you guys are talking about, sorry about it.

Last edited:
So what to set now guys or should I remain? cause I don't get any clue what you guys are talking about, sorry about it.
I don't know why you've been asked to faff around with high MTU sizes that will never work given your current settings. With the MTU (correctly) set to 1492 in the GUI (to allow for the extra 8 bytes for PPPoE) the largest non-fragmented size for Windows ping should be 1464.

So ping techrepublic.com -f -l 1464 should work whereas ping techrepublic.com -f -l 1466 won't.

If both commands fragment the packet then you'll have to progressively reduce the size until you find the maximum that will work.

Last edited:
I don't know why you've been asked to faff around with high MTU sizes that will never work given your current settings. With the MTU (correctly) set to 1492 in the GUI (to allow for the extra 8 bytes for PPPoE) the largest non-fragmented size for Windows ping should be 1464.

So ping techrepublic.com -f -l 1464 should work whereas ping techrepublic.com -f -l 1466 won't.

If both commands fragment the packet then you'll have to progressively reduce the size until you find the maximum that will work.
That is what the guide provides to the OP suggested earlier, but the OP didn't understand the guide, thus the necessity to faff around. I guess it is true we could have started much lower per your recommendation. But if you notice faffing around I am surprise you wait till now to say something.

Maybe you have better suggestions to provide the OP per their original issue. We are all ears and the SNB forums await your solution.

Last edited:
But if you notice faffing around I am surprise you wait till now to say something.
I don't always read posts immediately because of time zone differences, real life and the need to sleep occasionally. By the time I do read them the conversation has often moved on.

As for the OP's problem, I have no idea... other than it being an ISP issue.

ping 6.png

so 100% loss is not working ?

haha that will be good :D, may I ask why + 28 ?
The 28 is the extra packet space. Typically standard ethernet is 1500. With some isp however, it is slightly less. So the 1492 -28= the value you would have once it leaves a client. That is assuming 1492, is what your isp required (or the router).

haha that will be good :D, may I ask why + 28 ?
People typically don't mess with mtu these days because it is typically already configured or in some fashion auto configured; however, I typically take a peak at it before I consider telling the user that they might need a modem replacement.

Because the length (-l) parameter for the Windows ping command doesn't include the IP header (20 bytes) and ICMP header (8 bytes). The MTU value in the GUI (1492) already compensates for the 8 byte PPPoE header (1500 - 8 = 1492).
Haha I think I get what you guys mean now :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!