What's new

Asus AX86U Pro Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kinglork

New Around Here
What is the most stable firmware for WiFi on this router (AX86U PRO)?

I recently upgraded to 3.0.0.4_388.23565 and suffered WiFi drops every few hours. It was unbearable.

Subsequently, I rolled back to ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (March). It's been a major improvement but I just experienced another drop after about 48 hours.

This is driving me crazy!!!!

Should I roll it back to the original firmware release....ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21069?

What is the most stable firmware for WiFi on this router (AX86U PRO)?

I recently upgraded to 3.0.0.4_388.23565 and suffered WiFi drops every few hours. It was unbearable.

Subsequently, I rolled back to ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (March). It's been a major improvement but I just experienced another drop after about 48 hours.

This is driving me crazy!!!!

Should I roll it back to the original firmware release....ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21069?

The latest firmware works fine here... its release thread here appears unremarkable.

If you have not Hard Reset the firmware and configured it minimally from scratch lately, I would do that first and then evaluate again.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

Last edited:
3.0.0.4_388.23565 working very well here as well. FWIW the only WIFI settings I've changed is setting 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz bandwidth and enabling DFS channels on the 5 GHz. I do use Dual Band SmartConnect and have set a guest WIFI on the 2.4 GHz band for a couple of IoT devices.

I've also tested the recent Merlin firmware beta and WIFI on that worked very well. I believe 3004.388.4 beta has newer WIFI drivers than the Asus firmware...

3.0.0.4_388.23565 working very well here as well. FWIW the only WIFI settings I've changed is setting 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz bandwidth and enabling DFS channels on the 5 GHz. I do use Dual Band SmartConnect and have set a guest WIFI on the 2.4 GHz band for a couple of IoT devices.

I've also tested the recent Merlin firmware beta and WIFI on that worked very well. I believe 3004.388.4 beta has newer WIFI drivers than the Asus firmware...
I've seen a few say that the new WiFi drivers in the latest GPL are better than previous.

Hopefully the AX86 will get these in the next FW update.

The latest firmware works fine here... its release thread here appears unremarkable.

If you have not Hard Reset the firmware and configured it minimally from scratch lately, I would do that first and then evaluate again.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE
Thank You.

I completed Hard Reset on the latest firmware last night. Ok so far about 12 hours into reset.

Thank You.

I completed Hard Reset on the latest firmware last night. Ok so far about 12 hours into reset.

Now you/we can troubleshoot, if necessary, knowing the issue is real and not due to a firmware upgrade 'glitch'.

There is/was a recent Beta release (9.*) that introduces new 'Pro' features, particularly vlan settings/better guest networking control... when that code arrives in a near future release, I would consider it a significant change from previous releases and again... install it, Hard Reset it, and configure it from scratch to preclude any weird post-upgrade behavior.

OE

Now you/we can troubleshoot, if necessary, knowing the issue is real and not due to a firmware upgrade 'glitch'.

There is/was a recent Beta release (9.*) that introduces new 'Pro' features, particularly vlan settings/better guest networking control... when that code arrives in a near future release, I would consider it a significant change from previous releases and again... install it, Hard Reset it, and configure it from scratch to preclude any weird post-upgrade behavior.

OE
Ok Thanks. I'm planning on adding a Mesh node. Would it be best to get another AX86U Pro or does it really matter?

If you want the highest level of performance, stability, and reliability, an identical AiMesh node is what I've seen work best.

Ok Thanks. I'm planning on adding a Mesh node. Would it be best to get another AX86U Pro or does it really matter?

Be sure your router/network is working properly before adding the node... keeps the troubleshooting simpler.

AiMesh can be a bit of a can of worms (or not)... you can minimize this by choosing wisely. Typically, you would buy a new main router and retire your current router to node duty and call it your backup router. Starting out, you may just add a lesser model as node to minimize expense... unless having a ready backup router is important/critical. (ASUS should introduce some dedicated indoor and outdoor AiMesh nodes/APs, imo.)

It is presumed that keeping node and router models/firmware similar can pay dividends... less trouble... and this is somewhat proven by user experience reported here. I favor this approach, so I would suggest your new node should be similar... same WiFi6, dual-band 2.4/5.0, and number of antenna streams per band. If wireless backhaul, then you might delve into using tri-band with the appropriate band dedicated to the wireless backhaul to avoid the performance hit from sharing a band with both client and backhaul traffic... but ideally, wire the backhaul and stick with dual-band or atleast only one WLAN configurable in the 5.0 band... I tend to think that splitting the 5.0 band into two WLANs makes using the 5.0 band in one's particular radio space less flexible/usable, but I've never used a tri-band model and my radio space is not crowded/difficult.

So, consider adding another RT-AX86U, S, or U Pro as node. The AX68U may also serve as node/AP well enough. One wrinkle is the coming Pro firmware that may or may not extend new functionality to non-Pro nodes... you might want to insist on a Pro model node to keep the hardware homogenous and ready for this next gen firmware.

For many users, the difference in model cost over the service life of the product can be easily justified... hopefully less trouble, plus extended duty as a node when talking about a main router purchase.

My AiMesh lineage:

2xAC68U barely worked in early 2018, shortly after AiMesh was introduced... the wireless backhaul was marginal for my layout. Immediately upgraded.

2xAC86U worked until the routers died prematurely due to a hardware defect. ASUS replaced one; I replaced the other and continued until the timing was good to upgrade.

AX86U + AC86U worked. Worked much better after upgrading to MOCA2.5 wired backhaul. 160MHz bandwidth would not hold... perhaps the AC model was the issue?

AX86U Pro + AX86U works fine. 160MHz bandwidth holds steady; will need to check this again after the leaves come down this fall since I'm about 8 miles from an airport.

In theory, my next node will be my current router, but its all working so well now inside and out at distance that I will likely hold off upgrading until I have to, depending on the usual timing factors. For me, the AiMesh growing pains lasted from 2018 to about 2022... the pandemic did not help. Using similar models seemed to help during these early days...

OE

Last edited:
I believe OE has written enough about adding a mesh node. As we have the same networking hardware the one point I will add is that Ethernet backhaul is the sure way to go. I've spent a couple of days "improving" my cabling and moving cables to accommodate a future remodel project.My backhaul between the 2.5 GB ports is now on CAT 6 UTP.

I made it through about 24 hours and then had another WiFi drop.

I still have WiFi drops about once every 24 hours, unfortunately. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have 3 or 4 devices that require a router reboot to resolve. The reboot resolves the issue everytime.

Would there be any settings changes related to channels that could resolve this?

I made it through about 24 hours and then had another WiFi drop.

I still have WiFi drops about once every 24 hours, unfortunately. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have 3 or 4 devices that require a router reboot to resolve. The reboot resolves the issue everytime.

Would there be any settings changes related to channels that could resolve this?
Something to try: Use Dual Band SmartConnect, use WPA2-Personal, set 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11, set 5 GHz to 80 MHz on channel 36. Alternately use Auto channel on both bands but disable 160 MHz and do not use DFS channels.

I started with 2.4 GHz set manual 20 Mhz on channel 6. It was on channel 11 on auto 20/40 mhz. I didn't mess with anything on 5Ghz yet as I don't have any devices on that band 24/7. Do you think I still need to change the 5Ghz settings? Thanks.

So I'm just about 24 HRS in with 2.4 GHZ set manual on Channel 6 at 20 Mhz. No drops. My gut tells me it was related to the 20/40 auto channel bandwidth vs auto control channel (11).

Thank you so much for the suggestions guys! I run a AX86U-Pro on 3.0.0.4.388_23565. With period of 8-96h I would have wifi drops of certain units on the 2.4 GHz network. Also, the time between drops seemed to get shorter and shorter.

Router reboot would fix it. Re-applying wifi settings would fix it. But it was starting to drive me crazy.

Found this thread and after setting the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz I am now running 48 h again without drops. Fingers crossed. Extra thanks to bbunge and kinglork for leading me in this direction. Let's hope this is the end of it.

Thank you so much for the suggestions guys! I run a AX86U-Pro on 3.0.0.4.388_23565. With period of 8-96h I would have wifi drops of certain units on the 2.4 GHz network. Also, the time between drops seemed to get shorter and shorter.

Router reboot would fix it. Re-applying wifi settings would fix it. But it was starting to drive me crazy.

Found this thread and after setting the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz I am now running 48 h again without drops. Fingers crossed. Extra thanks to bbunge and kinglork for leading me in this direction. Let's hope this is the end of it.
Seems like many years ago with my first Asus router, a RT-N66U, I was having "issues" with the 2.4 GHz connections. Asus tech support recommended I not use 40 MHz or 20/40 MHz.That is something I've done ever since and it works for me. May have been related to the old clients, though, and some may be able to run the 2.4 GHz on 40 MHz. In my "new" neighborhood there is a lot of congestion on the 2.4 GHz band and several fools that push 40 MHz.

Seems like many years ago with my first Asus router, a RT-N66U, I was having "issues" with the 2.4 GHz connections. Asus tech support recommended I not use 40 MHz or 20/40 MHz.That is something I've done ever since and it works for me. May have been related to the old clients, though, and some may be able to run the 2.4 GHz on 40 MHz. In my "new" neighborhood there is a lot of congestion on the 2.4 GHz band and several fools that push 40 MHz.
I see. Seems that advice may hold also in non-crowded wifi environments. Well, let's hope the ax86u will prove itself as good as the n66u, that was a good router in its time, had one as well. Thanks again for your help, gray hairs come from issues like these.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!