What's new

Asus AX88U on sale

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYF1LLI/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N626TH2/?tag=snbforums-20
I know there are much cheaper ones but it feels funny to me to have it easily changeable.

I decided to go this route but with a cheaper enclosure.

Question that I have when formatting the drive for Linux with the thumb drives I generally did Ext 2.

however since i'm going to be storing the scripts to an external SSD now should I stick to Ext 2 or go for a higher version?

No need to format the drive in advance. You can do it to test the drive though. Plug the drive in router's USB3 port, install Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu (AMTM), use option "Format Disk", then "USB disk check at boot". You can create a Swap File also with AMTM.

https://diversion.ch/amtm.html

This is your "main script", providing easy installation of other popular scripts.

No need to format the drive in advance. You can do it to test the drive though. Plug the drive in router's USB3 port, install Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu (AMTM), use option "Format Disk", then "USB disk check at boot". You can create a Swap File also with AMTM.

https://diversion.ch/amtm.html

This is your "main script", providing easy installation of other popular scripts.

I will update my sign when done but being using these for years and these are currently installed on the old router.

Diversion 4.1.3 | Skynet 6.8.6 | Pixelserv-tls 2.2.1 | ntpMerlin 2.1.0 | amtm 2.7 | scMerlin 1.0.3

I just never use the formatting option in it.

I've only unboxed the router now so I have a few things to do before I get to this point.

Have to boot it up then make sure everything is running on the network. Then move off stock asus firmware and on to merlin.

Then start dealing with all the script reinstalls.

Best buy has the AX88U on sale right now for $363 CAD

Which is the cheapest i've seen it most places its selling for $450 CAD.
I got mine from Canadian Computers for 450$ Canadian in the spring. It was selling for higher at other venues then. Glad to see it coming down it's a fantastic router. No regrets!

I got mine from Canadian Computers for 450$ Canadian in the spring. It was selling for higher at other venues then. Glad to see it coming down it's a fantastic router. No regrets!

Canada computers is my go to store been shopping there since 1997!!

But sometimes bestbuy will have better deals on certain items and this happens to be one.

I probably could have gone to CC and asked them to price match but bestbuy is alittle closer to me on my route home.

Glad you are liking it just from looking at it not hooked up the router isn't as huge as everyone says and I like the look of it. Something about it just says quality.

If the price comes down to CAD $299 say on a black friday sale or boxing day sales that would be an instant buy for me if I didn't pick it up now.

Last edited:
Something about it just says quality.

Come on! Reused plastic box from 2015 model line. ASUS had no money to design something new.
In recent years ASUS went overboard with those "gamer" oriented products with alien creature look.

USD 300 at Newegg now. Under Amazon, even the refurbs now.

Last edited:
Come on! Reused plastic box from 2015 model line. ASUS had no money to design something new.
In recent years ASUS went overboard with those "gamer" oriented products with alien creature look.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I happen to like the look of the AC88U and this is just a newer version. Your point about plastic is valid but these are consumer products so its to be expected.

The Crazy Spider routers do annoy me also...

Your point about plastic is valid but these are consumer products so its to be expected.

I was looking at my RT-AC86U about a week after I purchased it. I don't like the look of it, honestly. I was thinking how the hell I'm going to explain my wife what this thing is. She was probably thinking I turned into an adult teenager and got home some new game console. ASUS put me in a bad situation with this design. o_O

I have the AX88U up and on 384.13 now and what is the fix to show temp for 5Ghz radio?

nm I had to enable Auto select channel including DFS channels for it to come up.

I have everything up and running so far with 384.13 with no scripts yet going to install those shortly. So far this was a much needed upgrade based on my initial testing. With a connection this fast when putting it to work the Dual core router was struggling with High load. This guy not even a whimper.

Use to see 1 core and half a core pegged when going ham on the connection.

now this

Last edited:
I have the AX88U up and on 384.13 now and what is the fix to show temp for 5Ghz radio?

To view power options:

Code:
 pwr help

To lower CPU temp:

Code:
 pwr config --cpuwait on

To go back to same CPU temp:

Code:
 pwr config --cpuwait off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Use to see 1 core and half a core pegged when going ham on the connection.

No much CPU work because you have Runner and Flow Cache Enabled, equivalent to Hardware Acceleration on older models. If you enable Trend Micro services* or run VPN, then CPU graphs will start moving. I used to see** 100% Core 2 load (VPN Client 1) with about 220Mbps VPN AES-256-GCM cipher processing, for example.

* - And agree to share your data with them, including files and emails, as per User Agreement.
** - I don't run VPN Client on the router anymore. Multiple x86 CPUs on clients do far better job.

First time i'm seeing this icon.
This is one wired device my desktop to the router.
What is the 2nd client?

Last edited:
it really didn't belong in this AsusWRT-Merlin section to begin with?

i would argue it did because merlin users are more of the power users of asus routers, due to our reliance on so many third party scripts that in essence make these routers work harder than their factory firmware had intended.
https://i.imgur.com/Pjo4kFC.jpg
regarding router design, i do prefer the traditional flat slab with 3-4 removable bendable sticks mostly because i like to mount my router flat against a wall, and a lot of these new fanged designs don't function as well in that position.

i would argue it did because merlin users are more of the power users of asus routers, due to our reliance on so many third party scripts that in essence make these routers work harder than their factory firmware had intended.

regarding router design, i do prefer the traditional flat slab with 3-4 removable bendable sticks mostly because i like to mount my router flat against a wall, and a lot of these new fanged designs don't function as well in that position.

I also like the flat design's instead of standing for cooling purposes easier to rest it on a laptop cooling pad. With Standing units you have to get creative with zip ties to mount fans on the back of the unit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!