What's new

Asus DSL-AC68U (3.0.0.4.386_47534) - QOS and halved upload speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Kvašnica

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I have a strange QOS problem with the Asus DSL-AC68U router (firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_47534) in the company I work for. I have found a workaround and have not found the main cause yet, but maybe someone will find this useful (or will help with the main cause).

Basically, after setting the QOS upload bandwidth to 95 % of the provider's nominal value (we have a 50/10 Mb/s connection), the effective upload speed is approximately halved for all connected clients (workstations and mobile phones.). After doubling the upload bandwidth, the effective upload speed is alright. For instance:
- if I set 9.23 Mb/s as the upload bandwidth ("QOS - Normal upload bandwidth.jpg"), then the effective tested upload speed for client is approximately 4.59 Mb/s (halved give or take - "Speed test (workstation) - Halved upload speed.jpg") and the upload speed for the router is also significantly low although not halved (6.07 Mb/s);
- if I set 10 Mb/s as the upload bandwidth, then the effective tested upload speed for client is approximately 5 Mb/s and so on;
- if I set 18.46 Mb/s as the upload bandwidth ("QOS - Doubled upload bandwidth.jpg"), then the effective tested upload speed for client is approximately 9.16 Mb/s ("Speed test (workstation) - Normal upload speed.jpg") and the upload speed for the router is also normal (9.86 Mb/s).

The router has a planned restart every midnight and is indeed resetting successfully (according to the log and Syslog Watcher). The firmware has been upgraded without any problems. Viewing the "ifconfig", "tc qdisc -ls" or "tc filter show dev" for each interface via the telnet (SuperPuTTY) did not helped me much. I did not reset the default settings, however.

That is all folks and take care!

Regards

Vik

Attachments

• QOS - Doubled upload bandwidth.jpg
    QOS - Doubled upload bandwidth.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 79
  • QOS - Normal upload bandwidth.jpg
    QOS - Normal upload bandwidth.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 73
  • Speed test (workstation) - Halved upload speed.jpg.jpg
    Speed test (workstation) - Halved upload speed.jpg.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Speed test (workstation) - Normal upload speed.jpg
    Speed test (workstation) - Normal upload speed.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 74
As you're using Traditional QoS you should check that your QoS rules and priorities are set correctly.

I did check them many times, the same rules and prirorities were working alright in the previous firmware version (the tested speeds were correct for both the clients and the router). None of the rules or priorities are set to limit the speed that much as I can understand.

Attachments

• User defined priorities.jpg
    User defined priorities.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 82
  • User defined rules.jpg
    User defined rules.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 88
Hi everyone,

just in case someone will have this issue too...

I have been able to solve it finally. At first, I only did a firmware update to version "3.0.0.4_386_47534" and I wanted to avoid a factory reset (so that we don't lose anything, even if I did a backup). Although the update went well, we then had this problem with the QOS. After one more update to version "3.0.0.4_386_50117" we had more problems with the router: only a part of the firmware version was displayed in the header and administration page, the exclamation mark for DSL was flashing, the router often restarted itself, the VPN connection did not work well, the devices also often could not connect to Wi-Fi. This has got me thinking. Factory reset and loading settings from backup then helped and all is alright from then. Maybe a change in the settings structure (variables/NVRAM), conflicts in the settings or something similar? It's hard to say exactly now. So it's obviously a good idea to restore factory settings after every firmware update.

Take care folks.

Vik

Factory reset and loading settings from backup then helped and all is alright from then. Maybe a change in the settings structure (variables/NVRAM), conflicts in the settings or something similar? It's hard to say exactly now. So it's obviously a good idea to restore factory settings after every firmware update.

For future reference:

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!