What's new

Asus DSL-AC68U replacement advise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonsey

Occasional Visitor
Hello All
My DSL-AC68U has given up after 4 years of hard work, going to safe mode all the time (Compenent thermal problem)
Currentlry with my ISP bright box 2 as a emergency measure
Want to buy a seperate router and modem with a broadcom chipset, router I have choosen is the Asus RT-AC86U or Asus RT-AX86U, looks good on paper.
What broadcom chipset modem would anyone suggest?
Currentley with FTTC 80/20 service EE
I would but the new Asus DSL-AX82U but unsure when this will be available in the UK.
Regards
Jonsey
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Your options for all in one modems + routers are pretty limited. I ended up going with a separate Vigor 130 modem as it then opens up your options to pretty much any router you want, instead of a handful of VDSL models.

@Jonsey - Per @dfunked's comment, you're likely better off just running discrete components -- separate, standalone DSL modem and wireless router.

That said, third-party standalone modems are getting harder to find these days, especially ones guaranteed to perform well with specific DSLAMs. I would consider just using the gateway from your ISP as your modem, be it the Bright Box 2 or otherwise, and configure it to operate in bridge or IP passthrough mode, if possible. The gateway would then act as just a modem, handling the baseline connection and nothing else (bridge mode), optionally PPPoE (IP passthrough mode). Sticking with the ISP equipment will also retain support from the ISP if you have a connection issue.