What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone know how to actually move to the latest official? They posted 3.0.0.4.380.3264 on 05/23, and currently I have the asus beta firmware of 9.whatever. So even moving from official(albeit beta) to another official Im seeing the flashing error. So does this mean Ill never be able to update?

"Brand new" Asus's Anti-Downgrade protection is a total BS!
C'mon, ASUS, do not be lazy programmers and implement something more interesting than ~*0x8FDC30+*0x24E4
"checksum" :)

So does anyone know how to actually move to the latest official? They posted 3.0.0.4.380.3264 on 05/23, and currently I have the asus beta firmware of 9.whatever. So even moving from official(albeit beta) to another official Im seeing the flashing error. So does this mean Ill never be able to update?
Upgrade should be as easy as login to the router GUI, go to Advanced Settings>Administration>Firmware Upgrade
Browse for the new .trx file and hit Upload.
What router do you have?
What is the exact current firmware version?
What is the exact error you get?

It may help to revert to factory defaults first, then try the upgrade again.

Upgrade should be as easy as login to the router GUI, go to Advanced Settings>Administration>Firmware Upgrade
Browse for the new .trx file and hit Upload.
What router do you have?
What is the exact current firmware version?
What is the exact error you get?

It may help to revert to factory defaults first, then try the upgrade again.
So tried it a second time and it worked that time

After this 'upgrade', every time I login it now shows router.asus.com instead of talking to the IP, and it is slow as hell. Only once yesterday was it remotely close to working like the previous firmwares. Most of the time it takes a good 20-40sec between clicking on something and actually getting a response

The network itself is fine and seems to be running ok, but that interface is almost unusable now. This is on an ac87u btw

-edit
looks like the UI issue is the same one mentioned in another thread, turn off ipv6 and all is well

Last edited:
I'm unable to get to an older fw; tried both, the restore app and the cfe method. The app works until 93% and then stops, "aborted"...
The cfe finishes the upload, reboots the router but I'm still on latest asus 380 fw.
I have an ac56u, using win10x64, tried cfe in edge, ie and chrome, same issue with all; tried two different 378 versions, no-go :(

C'mon, ASUS, do not be lazy programmers and implement something more interesting than ~*0x8FDC30+*0x24E4

You want them to completely lockdown bootloaders? Hey I have an idea: put bootloader on read-only memory and make it execute only signed firmware. Oh wait I have a better one: have a firmware on a read-only memory and have another tiny memory for future updates that have to be signed by Asus.

I want them to approach seriously to the business, once they decided to limit the creation of custom firmware or rollback.
Or it turns out to the imaginary "protection" only for those who are not familiar with the code (unless such protection is sufficient for FCC)...

I want them to approach seriously to the business, once they decided to limit the creation of custom firmware or rollback.
Or it turns out to the imaginary "protection" only for those who are not familiar with the code (unless such protection is sufficient for FCC)...

Why would you want them to approach it more serisously? Unless FCC goes after them, there is no reason to do so.

It's up to the manufacturers to decide what measures they want to implement.

So how does this work for Xvortex who is using YOUR source code for another router manufacture and breaking FCC rules ?

So how does this work for Xvortex who is using YOUR source code for another router manufacture and breaking FCC rules ?

FCC rules are related to region and power settings, this has nothing to do with Xvortex's fork.

FCC is American agency, so the rules that they come up with only supposed to be enforced in the US. May I remind you that US doesn't equal the whole world.
Unfortunately, due to extreme manufacturers' laziness and unwillingless to make a completely separate model for US, the whole world has to suffer.

Now lets imagine that mr . Xvortex (and bunch of other people from this forum) are not from US and are not legaly obligated to follow the rules dreamed up by the FCC. So, why would they need to give a crap about breaking FCC rules?

Technically, even RMerlin doesn't have to follow the rules since he is from Canada. I am assuming he only does because he wants to maintain good relations with ASUS. Additionaly, he probably wants his firmware to be "blessed" by ASUS, so its flashable from the stock firmware via webgui.

I have no deal with asus routers so studying their version reinforcements have only educational purposes.
But I think it will help to third-party firmware developers that are not certified by ASUS, obtain possibilities to make a custom firmware.

C'mon, ASUS, do not be lazy programmers and implement something more interesting than ~*0x*****+*0x*****
Looks like you don't realize next time you'll be dealing with 2048 bit certificate. Please, think twice before publishing this.

Hello Everybody,

As you may know, FCC requires all manufactures to prevent users from changing RF parameters. Not only manufactures' firmware but 3rd party firmware need to follow this instruction.

Some manufactures' strategy is blocking all 3rd party firmware, and ASUS's idea is still following GNU, opening the source code, and welcome 3rd party firmware.

ASUS are co-working with developers such as Merlin and DDWRT to make sure 3rd party firmwares power are the same as ASUS firmware and obey the regulations.

The firmware verification method will be modified in next formal firmware release. This firmware will not accept older firmware and router's with this new firmware cannot downgrade to older version. So it will not accept 3rd party firmware for a short time.

Please don't be afraid, when we finish the new method to protect the RF parameter, we will release firmware verification method to developers and you can still using the web GUI to change to 3rd party firmware.

ASUS-Tek
All of the fuss over this could have been avoided of Asus would lock the firmware to the corrent localisation for the country in which it is sold rather than a blanket EU market, which does not exist. I just want to operate my modem at its maximum capable legal capabilities.

Technically, even RMerlin doesn't have to follow the rules since he is from Canada.

It's not about where the developer is, it's about where the users are. And there are users in the US.

It's not about where the developer is, it's about where the users are. And there are users in the US.

Would it not be a responsibility of each US users to avoid using firmware that can potentially allow bypassing restrictions?

Would it not be a responsibility of each US users to avoid using firmware that can potentially allow bypassing restrictions?

The manufacturer who wants to make his product available in the US must abide by the US rules.

It's the same in any type of business. If you sell a product or a service in a certain region, you must abide by that region's laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!