What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that statement yesterday from a user also, but i didn't see it happening for some reason.

All FWs still there so far.

It's explained. i always used "Others" tab so that's why i didn't miss them.

They are under "Other OS", as they should have been from the start.

Picking an OS never made sense.

But they shouldn't be under any OS dropdown as it has nothing to do with OS. It was a bad UI design from the beginning. Putting it under "Other" doesn't help. In fact it may be worse.

They use the same scheme from other devices such as Graphic Cards, Motherboards, etc that's why.

But they shouldn't be under any OS dropdown as it has nothing to do with OS.

That's what "any" means. It looks accurate to me. BIOSes are usually found under that same category as well.

In theory, the bootloader could be modified/updated to also accept only certified firmwares.

Similar to Linux Grub and UEFI Secure Boot (WinTel) - signed bootloaders don't mean the end of things, but it's a bit troublesome if the bootloader requires a signature/certificate...
Similar to below; from the boot logs...

Code:
EFI: Loaded cert 'Microsoft Windows Production PCA 2011: <long key>' linked to '.system_keyring'
EFI: Loaded cert 'Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011: <a different long key>' linked to '.system_keyring'
EFI: Loaded cert 'Canonical Ltd. Master Certificate Authority: <one more long key>' linked to '.system_keyring'
Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
Loaded X.509 cert 'Build time autogenerated kernel key: <and yet another key>'
Key type trusted registered
Key type encrypted registered

But if Asus went down a similar route, not saying that they will, that would probably mean the end of running AsusWRT on anything else other than a true Asus manufactured device, as they alone hold the keys...

Last edited:
That's what "any" means. It looks accurate to me. BIOSes are usually found under that same category as well.
Wow. We're really splitting hairs. It's actually "Please select an OS." Then you pick "others." Which implies "other OSes not in the list above." Like Linux. Or Chrome OS.

It may make it now more consistent with how they handled BIOSes as you say, but that doesn't make it right. Router firmware has nothing to do with OSes . . Windows, Mac, or "Other." It never made any sense to pick an OS before. It doesn't make any more sense to pick "other" now.

I would think a more proper set up:
Firmware
BIOS
Drivers/Utilities->Pick OS

Last edited:
Wow. We're really splitting hairs. It's actually "Please select an OS." Then you pick "others." Which implies "other OSes not in the list above." Like Linux. Or Chrome OS.

It may make it now more consistent with how they handled BIOSes as you say, but that doesn't make it right. Router firmware has nothing to do with OSes . . Windows, Mac, or "Other." It never made any sense to pick an OS before. It doesn't make any more sense to pick "other" now.

I would think a more proper set up:
Firmware
BIOS
Drivers/Utilities->Pick OS

The reason Asus has this layout is because they make a ton of different products and they have the same structure for all their products. Yes, it's a bit confusing, but they're not going to set up a different structure for a few of their products just to make you happy.

Actually it is an OS - Linux

By that logic, they should add Linux to the list. In case they write firmware in some other OS.

But then most people wouldn't know what OS to pick, because most people just want their firmware and don't have any idea what OS has to do with updating their firmware.

At this point we're just arguing a point. I don't care how Asus does it. It never made sense to put it under any of the OS options listed, but when they changed it I assumed it was a mistake and just stumbled on it.

It's a small thing and I don't expect asus to "make me happy" or to make their site more complex just for usability. But I'm not going to concede the point over feasibility or because I somehow identify a little strongly with ASUS. It's not a great UI design.

Last edited:
By that logic, they should add Linux to the list. In case they write firmware in some other OS.

But then most people wouldn't know what OS to pick, because most people just want their firmware and don't have any idea what OS has to do with updating their firmware.

They put it under "Other" as it really is OS independent - remember their site needs to support all of their products, and putting it under Linux would confused customers even more - and other products don't necessarily include firmware.

I'm not making excuses for them, and I see your point..

They put it under "Other" as it really is OS independent - remember their site needs to support all of their products, and putting it under Linux would confused customers even more - and other products don't necessarily include firmware.

I'm not making excuses for them, and I see your point..

I agree. 100%.

As to the other gentleman referring to Asus "making me happy," I would think that as a customer, and user of their consumer oriented site, they would very much be receptive to "making me happy." I wasn't the only one confused--someone else brought it up in here. I was setting up my old AC66 for my kids and thought the site was broken (or they had pulled the firmware) because it wasn't listed where it used to be.

I've worked in web development for years. We'd never let that design stand, because as it stands, it's confusing. I've got it figured out. You have it figured out. But that doesn't make it great. I get it--they're a device company, not a web company. But we're diddling and arguing points here . .

Last edited:
I really do not understand why ASUS has taken this attitude. I have netgear equipment and all firmwares are still available. So if this is a new rule, netgear should not implement its too?

They are under "Other OS", as they should have been from the start.
Well no doubt. I wondered why they were EVER under Win7 32 bit or Windows 10 64bit. That NEVER made any since to me and sometimes you could find a particular one under say Win7 but not Win 8.1. Now if they didnt call it "others" under OS. Still not very clear where to find firmware and other files. Perhaps "Firmware and Other files" may make more since. :) Thanks for the info tho I was wondering the same thing.

Why? Asus' stance is to ensure that you will still be able to flash a third party firmware, unlike some of their competitors, so I don't see where's the problem.

The FCC requirements apply to ALL manufacturers. Don't expect everyone else to keep this a free-for-all, they will all have to implement some form of control to remain compliant. One of them already took the stance of blocking any third party firmware. Expect others to also come up with some plan between now and the June deadline.

I think it is pretty sucky that ASUS can pick and choose just WHAT federal regulation they will comply with. Unless the FCC had more clout with ASUS than the EPA did.

All wall wart power supplies were supposed to meet Specification VI by this year. They had two years to get in step. They STILL ship the 50% efficient power supplies with routers, laptops, and other stuff. Part of the problems with these things is being under powered or living on the edge.

Go to "Others" option.

I really do not understand why ASUS has taken this attitude. I have netgear equipment and all firmwares are still available. So if this is a new rule, netgear should not implement its too?

You can still use any Asus firmware as well if you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!