What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASUS_ASUSWRT

Regular Contributor
Hello Everybody,

As you may know, FCC requires all manufactures to prevent users from changing RF parameters. Not only manufactures' firmware but 3rd party firmware need to follow this instruction.

Some manufactures' strategy is blocking all 3rd party firmware, and ASUS's idea is still following GNU, opening the source code, and welcome 3rd party firmware.

ASUS are co-working with developers such as Merlin and DDWRT to make sure 3rd party firmwares power are the same as ASUS firmware and obey the regulations.

The firmware verification method will be modified in next formal firmware release. This firmware will not accept older firmware and router's with this new firmware cannot downgrade to older version. So it will not accept 3rd party firmware for a short time.

Please don't be afraid, when we finish the new method to protect the RF parameter, we will release firmware verification method to developers and you can still using the web GUI to change to 3rd party firmware.

ASUS-Tek

so this ONLY relates to north american releases right , the rest of the world firmware is not restricted right ?

if so with there be 2 versions of the fw eg north american and not north american as the fcc rules dont apply to anyone outside the us of a

so this ONLY relates to north american releases right , the rest of the world firmware is not restricted right ?

if so with there be 2 versions of the fw eg north american and not north american as the fcc rules dont apply to anyone outside the us of a
Not gonna happen, there's only one version of the firmware and will continue to be so. I don't like it, you don't like it, this is reality. Maintaining two branches is not cost effective.

interesting.
So, when new fw is not stable then we can't back to stable release ?
eg. stable 9460, not stable 9526

netgear do it , eg north america and not north america

Hello all.
I had to join so that I post on this.
If this goes through and I have difficulty in flashing my RT-AC3200 and RT- 56U, then I shall replace them in a heartbeat with another mfg.
I have a sledge hammer in the basement to aid me in doing so.

Maintaining two branches is not cost effective.

Plus, it makes no sense to put in place a limitation, then tell people: "you can flash this one with a restriction, or flash this one which don't". Would totally defeat the purpose.

So, when new fw is not stable then we can't back to stable release ?

AFAIK, this limitation is only against the older firmwares that lack the new validation system. New firmwares after that will be downgradable amongst themselves.

For example, let's say that 382_1000 is the first firmware that prevents flashing 380_2696. Once you upgrade to 382_2000, I expect you will still be able to flash 382_1000, just not anything older.

If this goes through and I have difficulty in flashing my RT-AC3200 and RT- 56U, then I shall replace them in a heartbeat with another mfg.

Why? Asus' stance is to ensure that you will still be able to flash a third party firmware, unlike some of their competitors, so I don't see where's the problem.

The FCC requirements apply to ALL manufacturers. Don't expect everyone else to keep this a free-for-all, they will all have to implement some form of control to remain compliant. One of them already took the stance of blocking any third party firmware. Expect others to also come up with some plan between now and the June deadline.

ASUS are co-working with developers such as Merlin and DDWRT to make sure 3rd party firmwares power are the same as ASUS firmware and obey the regulations.

The firmware verification method will be modified in next formal firmware release. This firmware will not accept older firmware and router's with this new firmware cannot downgrade to older version. So it will not accept 3rd party firmware for a short time.

I think I can speak for many - Very happy to see Asus' approach to this challenge, and it is more that just NA that is adopting an approach..

Asus keeping options open is very much in the spirit of the GPL, and I applaud their decision.

Most are running either AsusWRT forks, or firmware such as DDWRT/OpenWRT not for the radio changes, but for the Routing capabilities.

(Has Asus considered doing a Router Only product - take the RT-AC88U, remove the radios, open up more access to the very programable Realtek switch, and drop in let's saw 2GB RAM and bump the NAND up (one could hope for an 8GB eMMC, but...)

ASUS are striving to keep open the possibility of us using third party firmware, unlike some other manufacturers who have chosen to effectively deny that possibility. Those of us in the Tomato community will work with them to achieve this,

@sfx2000 - I have often thought this to be a great idea. I personally never use the wireless on gateway routers - all wireless is done by dedicated access points. I am one of the old school who believes that the function of a router is to route packets :D

@Toastman - always appreciate the third-party community - Tomato, AsusWRT-RMerlin's work, and everyone at DDWRT/OpenWRT - sometimes it's a thankless job, but just know that it is a blessing to the entire industry... this is how Linux is supposed to work.

The question is whether or not this will result in firmware that only allows FCC permitted (=USA) settings. Since Europa is much more liberal when it comes to channels use, would European users thus be limited ?

For example, let's say that 382_1000 is the first firmware that prevents flashing 380_2696. Once you upgrade to 382_2000, I expect you will still be able to flash 382_1000, just not anything older.

How do I know if I flash a Validated firmware that the Reapeter mode works (AC68), or another service which I absolutely need.
Here I can then no longer to an older version where it works. So i can not test the new Firmware if the Service work.
I think that even is a significant limitation.

I think I'll have to consider whether one enters the risk accurately.

I think the 378.54_1 for the AC68 be the last firmware for me.

As is my risk simply too big.

Repeater mode not working on RT-AC68U latest versions? > 378.54_1 to 380.58?

Repeater mode not working on RT-AC68U latest versions? > 378.54_1 to 380.58
The latest who works on Ac68 is the 378.54_1.
Last night i testet the 380.59 Beta 2 and it still not work the Repaeter mode.
Which is frustrating

How do I know if I flash a Validated firmware that the Reapeter mode works (AC68), or another service which I absolutely need.

Same way with most software: you wait a few days to see the feedback from other people who decided to upgrade on day 1, and base your decision on that.

I asked sometimes if the reapeter mode works?. But no responding.

I wonder how ASUS still didn't fixed it, the exact same scanerio with RT-AC66U...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!